PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles Trade For Stallworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
and article says Patriots made an offer

Traded for Mark Simoneu huh? Between him and Shanle, I guess that officially scratches the Saints off of the Edwards lottery.

Simoneau is a good LB, but the Eagles needed a WR desperately. I think it's a fair trade for both sides because of what the Eagles needed but the Saints got the better deal in the end, because they got a LB and a potential first day pick. I've never been all that impressed with Stallworth.

I wonder what the Patriots were offering... Branch, maybe?

Last edited:
primetime said:
Simoneau is a good LB, but the Eagles needed a WR desperately. I think it's a fair trade for both sides because of what the Eagles needed but the Saints got the better deal in the end, because they got a LB and a potential first day pick. I've never been all that impressed with Stallworth.

I wonder what the Patriots were offering... Branch, maybe?
I doubt it, if we had offered Branch, I think the Saints would have jumped all over it. My guess is we were trying to unload Beisel and who can blame the Saints for running the other way?

huskeralk said:
Traded for Mark Simoneu huh? Between him and Shanle, I guess that officially scratches the Saints off of the Edwards lottery.

Not to mention scratching off the official Saints announcement that Stallworth is not on the trading block.

huskeralk said:
I doubt it, if we had offered Branch, I think the Saints would have jumped all over it. My guess is we were trying to unload Beisel and who can blame the Saints for running the other way?

Good call, I didn't even think of Beisel.

That 2002 class of receivers is one contentious bunch! Lelie, Branch, Walker, Stallworth - all associated with the word "trade" in some way. :)

Murphys95 said:
That 2002 class of receivers is one contentious bunch! Lelie, Branch, Walker, Stallworth - all associated with the word "trade" in some way. :)

Makes you nostalgic for the old team-player generation like Keyshawn Johnson and Terrell Owens.

What is it with receivers???

patchick said:
Makes you nostalgic for the old team-player generation like Keyshawn Johnson and Terrell Owens.

You know I've asked that question a lot lately. Whether it's endzone antics or causing team turmoil, per capita it seems that receivers as a whole cause a heck of a lot of aggravation.

...and this from guys who basically run fast and a catch a ball. :)

def woulda loved to have had stallworth in a pats uni
hey even if we hadnt signed him, wed at least have him playin right now unlike some ppl (cough branch cough)

patchick said:

Don't just blame receivers. What about the Bengals' Chad Johnson? What about Joe Horn? And team player Terry Glenn got his team to multiple Super Bowls, didn't he?

Murphys95 said:
...and this from guys who basically run fast and a catch a ball. :)

... with their body extended knowing that in less than a second one or maybe more 200 lb guys will launch themselves right at them in an effort to jar the ball loose, but, on the other hand, have the chance to have everyone in the stadium look at them.

Does it really surprise you that it attracts nut cases?

Mike the Brit said:
... with their body extended knowing that in less than a second one or maybe more 200 lb guys will launch themselves right at them in an effort to jar the ball loose, but, on the other hand, have the chance to have everyone in the stadium look at them.

Good point! Maybe wide receivers tend to be manic-depressive types.

Mike the Brit said:

I tell ya...who'd a thunk that there would be players with huge egos in the NFL? :D

Murphys95 said:
I tell ya...who'd a thunk that there would be players with huge egos in the NFL? :D

Do you remember the thread in the summer "If you could play in the NFL what position would you choose?" We had, if I recall correctly, volunteers for just about every position EXCEPT wide receiver. Must mean something ...

My take is this:

All pro athletes need high levels of competiveness and confidence in order to succeed. They have to *want* the ball, and feel like they've got what it takes to make good things happen when they get it.

Well, a #1 RB is going to get his touches, a starting QB is going to get plenty of chances to throw the ball. Guys on the offensive line and the whole defense are doing their thing every snap they're on the field.

A WR will only get so many throws a game. They're not in control of when they can do their thing -- they rely on the QB to throw them the ball. I wonder if their massive egos are some sort of compensation for not getting the 20+ touches/attempts a start RB/QB would get a game.

Mike the Brit said:
Do you remember the thread in the summer "If you could play in the NFL what position would you choose?" We had, if I recall correctly, volunteers for just about every position EXCEPT wide receiver. Must mean something ...

id say cornerback first
wide receiver second

those were the positions i played in hs (and intramural in college ;) )

Mike the Brit said:

I'd play long snapper. Can play forever and you're still making at least 500 grand a year for 3 plays a game and maybe to make a snow angel.

Also... fanball had this to say...

"This trade could also lead to the release of Todd Pinkston, Jabar Gaffney, or both – news that shouldn't affect fantasy teams but is mildly notable."

Those two guys might be upgrades or at least stopgaps that are better than what the Patriots currently have. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back