PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles Release DE Jason Babin - should Pats claim/sign him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to see him if he clears waivers and will sign a new two year deal for the right money (little guarenteed - good incentives) .

I am also hopeful that Arizona cuts Larry Fitgerald and Patrick Peterson and they both sign cheap deals for the Pats. Finally, I plan on buying a single Powerball ticket this week with expectaions of winning. Never hurts to dream ;)

I'd be interested to see what he's got, but I doubt the Pats will.

1. Kansas City Chiefs

2. Jacksonville Jaguars

3. Philadelphia Eagles

4. Oakland Raiders

5. Cleveland Browns

6. Carolina Panthers

7. San Diego Chargers

8. Buffalo Bills

9. Tennessee Titans

10. Detroit Lions

11. Arizona Cardinals

12. New York Jets

13. St. Louis Rams

14. Miami Dolphins

15. New Orleans Saints

16. Washington Redskins

17. Dallas Cowboys

T-18. Cincinnati Bengals

T-18. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

20. Pittsburgh Steelers

21. Minnesota Vikings

22. Seattle Seahawks

23. Indianapolis Colts

24. New York Giants

25. Green Bay Packers

26. New England Patriots

27. Denver Broncos

28. Chicago Bears

29. San Francisco 49ers

30. Baltimore Ravens

31. Atlanta Falcons

32. Houston Texans

I'd have to believe one of the 25 teams in front of us will make a claim. He doesn't have much owed for the rest of the season.. I could see the Packers putting in a claim. And honestly the Jets because they need to do something to show the fans they are still trying.

Just out of curiosity, why are we ahead of Denver in the priority list when they both have the same record and we beat them in a head to head matchup? I haven't looked, but I will assume that maybe they currently have more conference wins or something at the moment? I wouldn't understand any other reason.

Reid will be fired, Lurie said 8 - 8 would not be acceptable and the Eagles stand today at 3 - 8. The Eagles have already fired two Execs from the front office prior the Thanksgiving.

I know this probably isn't the right place to address this issue, but since you brought it up---as much as I would be in the minority, I would NOT fire Andy Reid from the Eagles this year. Unless of course they have a great feeling that Jon Gruden will definitely become the replacement.

Too many times in the NFL we see very successful head coaches with distinguished records whose teams have a bad year or two take all of the blame.

Reid has been the longest tenured current NFL coach and one who has produced on a very regular basis. I understand that it's a "what have you done for me lately" league and job, but firing Reid will certainly not guarantee the Eagles to be any more successful. First of all, they need a reliable QB--not a guy like Vick or a rookie.

I'm sure he'll be fired, but I wouldn't personally be as quick to make that decision as so many others are.

If Gruden is the definite replacement that's one thing. If they are going to hope that someone better than Reid is going to come along, that's a whole different issue that I wouldn't agree with.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why are we ahead of Denver in the priority list when they both have the same record and we beat them in a head to head matchup? I haven't looked, but I will assume that maybe they currently have more conference wins or something at the moment? I wouldn't understand any other reason.
Well the Bears are also 8-3, so there's not the same head to head tiebreaker as there is for playoff seeding. I don't know which tiebreaker exactly sets that order out of those three, though.

If the Pats wanted him right now could they afford him?

Well the Bears are also 8-3, so there's not the same head to head tiebreaker as there is for playoff seeding. I don't know which tiebreaker exactly sets that order out of those three, though.

Thanks, Sciz. Much appreciated.

I assumed that it was different, but did not specifically know where/how.

Ah, found it. Tiebreaker is strength of schedule. If that is also tied, a coin flip determines waiver order.

Ah, found it. Tiebreaker is strength of schedule. If that is also tied, a coin flip determines waiver order.

Thanks again, buddy. Much appreciated.

If the Pats wanted him right now could they afford him?

Yup. They have about 8 mill in cap space. But it all depends on if they place a claim in the first place and if any team before them placed a claim.

Jason LaCanfora predicts the Ravens will make a fierce play on Babin once he becomes available for cheap.

Jason LaCanfora predicts the Ravens will make a fierce play on Babin once he becomes available for cheap.

"once he becomes available for cheap" any team worth its salt should go after him, Jason being obvious this case

"once he becomes available for cheap" any team worth its salt should go after him, Jason being obvious this case
Exactly. And with LaCanfora being the Ravens homer he is, he's probably just being hopeful.

Teams will only put a claim in on Babin if they feel that his contract can be stomached. Otherwise, they'll let him pass through waivers and try to sign him. His contract was a 5 year deal worth 27.75 million with between 5 and 6 million guaranteed. The devil is in the details regarding the guaranteed money and how the contract was set up..

He did a phone interview with NFL.com. Short but very interesting interview with a tidbit at the end from Charlie Casserly.:

Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Jason Babin speaks out after being released - NFL Videos

He put a bit of the blame on the players saying that they weren't doing what they were supposed to do during games. He then backtracked a bit saying that the guys were all working hard and he didn't feel that it was egos getting in the way.

Teams will only put a claim in on Babin if they feel that his contract can be stomached. Otherwise, they'll let him pass through waivers and try to sign him. His contract was a 5 year deal worth 27.75 million with between 5 and 6 million guaranteed. The devil is in the details regarding the guaranteed money and how the contract was set up..

Right, and there is a chance that anyone will be interested in retaining him now under the current deal, which would prevent the interested party from risking the thought of losing out on him. Of course they would also have to have the priority in the waiver wire too, so that limits some of the potential interested parties a bit if others claim him first.

There is also the thought as you point out, that teams will wait in the hopes that he will be an outright unrestricted free agent, where they can try to sign him to a more team-friendly team.

Either way, I don't have a strong feeling that the NEP would be looking at him longer-term, and even if they were someone will likely either beat them to the punch now via the waiver wire or offer a better deal if he hit FA.

Obviously anything can happen, but I would have to guess that Belichick may find a much better use of that kind of money to be honest. We'll know more in the coming day or two.

hmmm. If that prorated 1.6M (?) was correct for hit this year.

Based on those #s I would say the following are UNLIKELY to post a Waiver claim:
Panthers $4.0 million
Cowboys $3.7 million
Redskins $3.3 million
Saints $2.9 million
Texans $2.7 million
Lions $2.5 million
Giants $2.2 million
Chargers $2.0 million
Rams $2.0 million
Note: you could possibly include Jesters/Bears here with 4.2M space but I cut off at 4.0.

And these teams are pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to file a waiver claim.
Ravens $1.4 million
Falcons $1.1 million
Steelers $1.1 million
49ers $579,000

That still leaves (BELOW) 16 teams in front of NEP on waiver wire (including Jesters and Fish). Not much hope there.

But if he does clear waivers up to NEP there is a very good chance he clears waivers the whole way as only the broncos and bears have cap space and they might not be interested.

Originally Posted by 1%er
1. Kansas City Chiefs
2. Jacksonville Jaguars
3. Philadelphia Eagles
4. Oakland Raiders
5. Cleveland Browns
????? - 6. Carolina Panthers
????? - 7. San Diego Chargers
8. Buffalo Bills
9. Tennessee Titans
????? - 10. Detroit Lions
11. Arizona Cardinals
12. New York Jets
???? 13. St. Louis Rams
14. Miami Dolphins
????? - 15. New Orleans Saints
????? - 16. Washington Redskins
????? - 17. Dallas Cowboys
T-18. Cincinnati Bengals
T-18. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
NO - 20. Pittsburgh Steelers
21. Minnesota Vikings
22. Seattle Seahawks
23. Indianapolis Colts
???? - 24. New York Giants
25. Green Bay Packers
26. New England Patriots
27. Denver Broncos
28. Chicago Bears
NO - 29. San Francisco 49ers
NO - 30. Baltimore Ravens
NO - 31. Atlanta Falcons
????? - 32. Houston Texans

Lots of teams interested, doubt the Pats are one of the buyers. He doesn't fit "The Patriot Way". He's a known loud mouth and plays on emotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes