PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles Release DE Jason Babin - should Pats claim/sign him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pondering-man.jpg

I believe we are short on DEs right now?

Definitely worth kicking the tires, especially with Cunningham's suspension.

Would the Eagles still be on the hook for his payroll?

No. Whomever picks him up would have to pay the remaining 1.64 mil of his salary. And he does have to pass through waivers (all according to twitter)

I meant this year.

Probably the best example in the league of why sacks are overrated.

You may argue he isn't worth the contract he signed, but he's a good pass rusher. He isn't elite or anything, but as a situational guy he'd be a great fit for us. I see no reason why he couldn't be a better version of Mark Anderson, and that'd be pretty valuable.

Surely someone will claim him.

So... do I have this right, guys with 4 years of service are free agents when waived, unless it is after the trade deadline, in which case they are also subject to waiver claims?

This must be the case, since when Branch was cut he could have been claimed on waivers, but wasn't.

I meant this year.

Probably the best example in the league of why sacks are overrated.

He'd be 0.5 sacks off the Patriots team lead, despite the fact that his playing time has been cut into by Graham. I don't expect him to clear waivers, but please explain to me how he wouldn't be an upgrade over Cunningham.

Last edited:
You may argue he isn't worth the contract he signed, but he's a good pass rusher. He isn't elite or anything, but as a situational guy he'd be a great fit for us. I see no reason why he couldn't be a better version of Mark Anderson, and that'd be pretty valuable.

I guess. I've never been high on Babin...dude's Charmin soft.

I don't expect him to clear waivers, but please explain to me how he wouldn't be an upgrade over Cunningham.

I don't see Cunningham and Babin as analogous players.

Now Trevor Scott? Yeah, sure.

I don't see Cunningham and Babin as analogous players.

Now Trevor Scott? Yeah, sure.

Cunningham is the pass rushing substitute. Babin is a pass rusher. Where's the big difference you're seeing?

Theres a reason Dillon and Moss chose the Patriots and it wasnt "to cash in".

Dont underestimate the allure of a ring, winning week after week, not losing week after week and even just belonging to a team with its act together... especially to a vet.

I hope you are right. But there have been so many examples were they simply went for the money. I don't think that Mario Williams was short on offers this off season and that he saw the SB caliber team with the Bills ...

So are the Eagles deciding to pull a Colts move, and tank to move up the draft board?

No. Whomever picks him up would have to pay the remaining 1.64 mil of his salary. And he does have to pass through waivers (all according to twitter)

1.64 million for a potential elite DE? I hope to goodness he passes the waiver wire.

Imagine on passing downs

Hightower - Spikes/Cunningham - Mayo - Ninkovich
Jones - Wilfork - Babin

:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

Every team except San Fran, Baltimore, Atlanta and Houston has priority over New England

The adjectives I'm reading are "preening", "all QB sack-no run support", "Gastineau" (in the worst way possible), etc.

Perhaps kick the tires, but if Chandler's wheel is closed to being back (and Bedard says it is), then I'd avo
I'd rather have a run stopper, given the past few games.

Seems like our front seven are good enough at run-stopping that we could afford and benefit from a pure pass-rusher. Maybe we just play a guy like Babin on passing downs.

But Im no Xs and Os guy (for example Im not clear on why DEs cant/dont like to flip left to/or right) but it seems to me that Jones is just that good that someone decent opposite him (such as a Carter had in Anderson) drawing some attention is going to have a magnified affect on everyones ability to get to the QB.

Last edited:
Cunningham is the pass rushing substitute. Babin is a pass rusher. Where's the big difference you're seeing?

Cunningham can line up inside and in doing so is functionally capable of being something other than a speed bump.

1.64 million for a potential elite DE? I hope to goodness he passes the waiver wire.

Imagine on passing downs

Hightower - Spikes/Cunningham - Mayo - Ninkovich
Jones - Wilfork - Babin

:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

actually only like 25% of 1.64 million since its prorated;)

Cunningham can line up inside and in doing so is functionally capable of being something other than a speed bump.

The numbers suggest otherwise.

actually only like 25% of 1.64 million since its prorated;)

No sorry, I should have been more clear. The 1.64 is the prorated number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes