PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Each team should be guaranteed one possession in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're looking at it wrong. That 50% means 50% of OT games end unfairly. That's not acceptable.

0 % of games should end unfairly.
it's very fair, ya let the game get to OT, and there was a coin toss, which is as fair as humanely possible, because a coin doesn't care.

every fanbase does this after every OT loss, and they don't when they win in OT

but i love OT in the NFL win or lose, if you wanted fair, you would have not let it get to OT

I've got the perfect solution.

First possession sudden death only counts for TD's. If a team scores a TD in OT, it's over.

If a team scores a 1st possession FG, the other team gets a chance with the ball. Once both teams get the ball once and its still tied, next score wins.

I guess it just makes too much sense.

:agree:

Overtime is not perfect, but this may be the best solution I've heard yet. It would certainly make things even more interesting.

Two things, though:
(1) This will happen when :pigsfly:. :) :(
(2) No solution will ever please everybody. I remember having to devise a format for a tournament once (no, I won't say what for). I did a poll to see what formats people liked, on a scale of 1 to 5. None of them averaged even a 3.

Last edited:
I want us to go for 2 after mosses TD, stupid i know.

I think you're looking at it wrong. That 50% means 50% of OT games end unfairly. That's not acceptable.

0 % of games should end unfairly.

This is absolutely correct. Unfortunately, it probably won't be rectified until a team gets hosed in a SB. (Btw, not sure about the aversion to "fairness" . . . )

To me, a simple solution is to ensure that each team gets a possession. So, if the team that wins the coin flip scores, a kickoff ensues. In the event this ties things up: rinse & repeat. This, too, would pressure a team NOT to settle for a field goal, which I think is total a drag.

I must disclose that I deplore the college system because defense & ST are 2/3 of the game! It's a like a total perversion of football that a D is unable to score.

Last edited:
OT should be first team to score 4 points. Its simple and its fair. 2 Field goals? win. 1 touchdown? win. Coin toss? Doesn't matter.

It is the fairest OT in all of sports. You have a 50/50 chance of winning the toss. And if you lose the toss you still get a chance with your defense to stop them. It's so simple. Totally fair. Btw Brady is like 10-0 in overtime or some ridicuous number like that.

After tonight Brady would have been 10-1.

They do it right in college. It really is fair and it is damned exciting.

Bob G

After tonight Brady would have been 10-1.

They do it right in college. It really is fair and it is damned exciting.

Bob G

All respect Bob, but I cannot even stomach college OT. (I literally turn my TV off.) With no possibility of a pick-6, I don't even feel like I'm watching football.

To me, defensive scoring is the most exciting aspect of football and, IIRC, contributed fairly significantly to the Pats success in the early part of this decade.

There is no right or wrong way to do it, that anyone's ever devised. Every possibility I've ever seen offered up has a flaw in it.

I like the OT rule the way it is. I mean if we stop the Jets on 3rd and 16 or whatever it was then we get the ball back around the 50 yard line more than likely.

The college OT system just seems amateurish to me.

Nope. I've never liked OT rules, and would have obviously been thrilled had the Pats won the toss :) but still felt slightly bad for the Jets that the game really came down to a coin flip. It's just dumb.

I agree with the poster who said do away with OT and just tie at end of regulation. I don't think there would be as many ties as you think, as teams would just go for 2 near the end the way they used to do in college before they implemented OT 10? or 15? years ago.

dude, shut up already, You sound like such a whiner.

There is no right or wrong way to do it, that anyone's ever devised. Every possibility I've ever seen offered up has a flaw in it.
True.

I don't mind the current format, but giving both teams a shot would be better. I think this was already mentioned in this thread earlier, but what if each team was guaranteed a possession and if it's still tied, then go to sudden death? I guess there would be a flaw there, too, though, when you try to decide who gets the first possession of sudden death.

Probably makes sense to just leave it as is. Man, the Jets had no business converting that 3rd-and-15...

i think a 10 minute overtime period would be perfect. if it's tied go to 5 minute periods until someone wins.

Nice sample size. ;) The aggregate stats of the last 10 or 20 years or whatever indicate it's upwards of 60%.

I do agree with the poster who said they could have avoided the element of chance and gone for 2. I was hoping BB would, but woulda, coulda, shoulda ..

Where does that 60% come from? CHFF says it's 53.2.

"But the team that wins the toss does not have the advantage many think. According to official NFL statistics, the team that has won the OT toss has won just 53.2 percent the time (222 victories in 417 OT games from 1974 to 2007).

See, the thing about overtime is that, even though the team that won the toss gets to play offense, the team that lost the toss gets to play defense. So it helps if you actually make a stop or two."

Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: Deep thoughts with CHFF

OK, obviously this is totally knee jerk, but the OT rules have been a hot topic with the league and owners for a few years, and I don't think anyone is in love with the current format.

I don't think the college system is the way to go, too many NFL records would get screwed, but I think if they simply guaranteed each team one possession in OT, this would solve the problem.

I knew (as did everyone else) that they way the offenses were moving the ball for both teams against the respective gassed defenses, that the winner of the toss probably had an 80% chance of winning the game.

Just a shame that after such a hard fought game on both sides, that a large percentage of the game's outcome is predicated on pure chance.

/bitter rant

And the Team that lost the Toss is.:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Last edited:
the CFL rules for OT blow the NFL ones away.

Whoever wins the toss gets the ball on the other teams 35 yd line. They then scrimage from there. If they score (FG, TD, single point....it is the CFL afterall), then the opponent gets the ball on the the other teams 35 and has to match or beat the score just made. (this way both teams at least get a posession in OT).
If nobody scores or the teams are still tied after they have both had a possesion they just do it again until somebody wins. If after the expiration of the OT the teams are still tied, then it goes into the books as a tie game)

Listen...each team plays 60 minutes. They know going in that if the score is tied after 60 minutes, they're going to sudden death overtime.

1) Why do we, after 60 minutes, want to change the format of the game like the NCAA does? I'd just as well see Richard Seymour and Nick Mangold arm wrestle at the 50 yard line to see who wins the game as an artificial system that minimizes defense and special teams.

2) Each HC knows they face a coin flip to decide the game. Don't want to take that chance? Go for two. It's hard to claim unfairness when the rules are laid out and coaches coach and players play the game from the opening kickoff with knowledge of what happens at the end of regulation. Unless the coin has been tampered with, there's nothing unfair about a coin flip.

3) Our defense had the Jets at 3rd and 15, and decided to give Keller a 13 yard cushion to make the reception, and Meriweather decided to hit him low and allow him to get the extra yards instead of hitting him high and driving him backwards. Jets deserved to win. If Meriweather does his job, the Patriots get the ball in great field position and we're not discussing changing the rules.

Just do away with OT and award ties like before. It sure would make for interesting 4th quarters of ballgames.

I like this!

If a win can't be determined in 4 quarters then it should be a tie.

Going into a OT situation gives high powered Offenses a distinct advantage.
Most D's will be exhausted after 4 quarters. The team who gets the
ball first will have the advantage no matter how you structure it.

I have an idea. Why don't we stop them on 3rd and 15 from the 15?

Just do away with OT and award ties like before. It sure would make for interesting 4th quarters of ballgames.

That would have guaranteed BB going for 2 at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes