PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

E:60 Bennett Brothers

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has nothing to do with other players, I loved my team mates. This has everything to do with the guy they bring in to directly/compete and replace you at your position. We were about .500 depending on the year but I can say I played for a one loss team in another program as a Freshman and my reception from the older guys was about the same at my position. This has everything to do with what position you play.

Here is a link on Brady

Volin: Tom Brady’s ‘not teaching anyone how to take his job’

thanks for the link. i watched it, and volin basically makes that statement without citing any sources, just says, "it's obvious".

here are some links with direct quotes saying otherwise:

Fox: Jimmy Garoppolo denies rift with Brady: Tom 'like an older brother,' helped me greatly
"Tom's like an older brother to me," Garoppolo said. "Throughout OTAs, training camp, all that stuff, he's helped me so much. It's great.

"We're very similar. He's just helped me so much. He's been doing this for a while. His experience has helped me a bunch, and I really thank him a lot."

NESN: Jimmy Garoppolo ‘Loves’ Tom Brady, Has ‘The It Factor,’ Says QB Guru
Garoppolo’s most fascinating relationship is with fellow QB Tom Brady. Some questioned the friendliness of the two signal-callers when an over-eager reporter spotted Brady “staying clear” of Garoppolo after the rookie quarterback threw his first touchdown pass in a 41-14 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday Night Football.

There’s absolutely no animosity between the two players, however.

“Loves him,” Christensen said of Garoppolo’s relationship with Brady. “I raised him on Tom Brady film. So it’s so surreal this whole last two years for that kid, it’s almost eerie. It’s like everything we worked on, then he got to go out and see the actual prototype of Tom. He’s in the meetings with Bill learning defenses of the highest level. Him and Tom get along really well. A lot of things have been God sent. It’s really — he loves Boston, loves the people. The smile that everyone sees is genuine.”

Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels echoed those sentiments before the Super Bowl, when he said the two are like brothers. “To watch a guy in his 15th year prepare to be the best player he could be but also care enough about a young player to try and help him improve every day, it’s really an unselfish thing to watch happen,” McDaniels said.

Just a few last comments. If you know a guy is never really going to take your job (outside of injury) the relationship changes. That is just from experience. And of course Jimmy and Tom have to say that its kind of my point here. Even if it was true they should or would never say it. And its usually always coming from the backups POV which is what you have listed above. You really think Jimmy is going to come out and say tom isnt helpful no chance in hell.

i'm always curious to see what fans of other teams say. predictably, a lot cowboys and bears fans hate bennett, but a surprising number agree with him:

Martellus Bennett on Bears
I cant disagree with him at all
I really do not like Bennett.

But I also really do not care to defend the Bears.

Rock and a hard place.
That is the problem....he is telling truth and mfers get butt hurt hearing it. You bring in this so called strong players coach, yet this ***** got rid of every top ten producer we had.
Marty would have been fine if we had a coaching staff that actually had leadership and could handle strong personalities.
I don't know how he was a problem. A bit goofy, but he had no problem being the fifth lineman and was an absolute terror to a linebacker on a route. He shouldn't throw his former teammates under the bus, but he was someone you could count on. Playing through pain and all of it.
he may act like a jackoff, but he's good at what he does.

I was actually pretty elated the Bears landed him. the Bears have quite a ***** culture, even after Trestman.

Dallas Cowboys
LOL saw this article yesterday and knew this board would go on their usual Bennett hate. As someone mentioned, he never said anything about how good Witten is, only that Witten never tried to help him. And I absolutely believe him on that. I love Witten but think about who he is for a second. Do you think there is any chance that Witten could like someone with Martellus' personality? I don't. People on this board think that every player should adopt Witten's humble personality and if they don't then they're "loud mouthed." But I respect that people are different and don't have to subdue their personalities in order to do their job. Also, if it were a complete fabrication....why even go there? It's been 4-5 years since he's been gone from our team....why make something up like that after all this time? And maybe it doesn't make Witten a bad person either; remember this was still a Witten in his prime. Maybe he didn't want to help out a super athletic guy who could potentially steal some of his playing time. I can respect that in some fashion even if it's not the best thing for the team overall.

And I also love the nonsense posted here about how Martellus was so lazy when he was here. There is zero evidence to back that up. This is just assumed (as it often is on this board) because Martellus simply didn't have a lot of production here but it's weird that he would leave our team and then produce highly on every other team he played for if he was so lazy. I said this all of the time back on the ESPN boards when Bennett was here; we kept trying to use him like Jason Witten (which he's nowhere near like) instead of like Antonio Gates. We didn't know how to put his skillset to use but other teams did. There is a reason why he's played like a top three tight end so far this year, and that was even before Brady came back. Also, even when he was a Cowboy he was at one point rated as our top blocker on the entire team, even ahead of lord almighty Witten. That is not the work of a lazy player.

Marty B's experience with Jason is likely true. Call the Bennett bros whatever you want but you can't call them liars. And honestly it's not surprising to me that the only TE that we had that could have threatened Jason's position as a starter was not helped by JW. Would you train someone to take your job?

If you know a guy is never really going to take your job (outside of injury) the relationship changes. That is just from experience.
Witten in these days was, together with Tony Gonzalez, the best TE in the game. A 90-catch, 1000 yard guy. I don't think he had much to fear from a young Bennett.

Just a few last comments. If you know a guy is never really going to take your job (outside of injury) the relationship changes. That is just from experience. And of course Jimmy and Tom have to say that its kind of my point here. Even if it was true they should or would never say it. And its usually always coming from the backups POV which is what you have listed above. You really think Jimmy is going to come out and say tom isnt helpful no chance in hell.
you might be right. but you might also be wrong. garoppolo's QB coach and josh mcdaniels also said so (which i quoted). i don't have any reason to believe they would lie about it.

i don't dispute what you say, that a lot of other players have that mentality--don't help the guy who might take your job. i just don't think tom brady does.

here's matt cassell on brady, in 2014, when he was with the vikings:

ESPN: Cassel, Brady maintain close friendship
"We probably won’t talk this week, I’m guessing," Cassel said. "At the same time, he’s a great friend. He was a great mentor to me when I was there. Like I said, I’m really grateful that I had that opportunity to work with him and learn from him."

Last edited:
Marty expressed an opinion about one Bears teammate that was pretty strong: Jay Cutler is a real jerkoff. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a more universally disliked teammate. Can anyone recall anyone teammate saying anything good about him? He must be a major douchebag.

This is an assumption based on your own personal playing experience from elsewhere and a Volin article.

Btw: You started out saying you think "Brady is sort of that way" and changed to 'he's not that way' because Garoppolo is never really going to take his job unless I misunderstood your post.

But from my experiences, which are not sport team related, there are people who will show you anything you want to know and others that won't show you ****. Some will steal credit for your work while others will give you too much credit. I imagine those dynamics exist anywhere at some level.

My guess would be that Tom will compete with anyone who walks through the door but is secure enough to help a guy get up to speed. I don't see Tom telling JG or anyone "go figure it out yourself" unless of course the guy happens to be an *******.

Again, I'm not saying you were being selfish or that you are wrong although I will recommend not relying on Trollin Volin. He is just a fraudulent buffoon with Twitter account.

Marty expressed an opinion about one Bears teammate that was pretty strong: Jay Cutler is a real jerkoff. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a more universally disliked teammate. Can anyone recall anyone teammate saying anything good about him? He must be a major douchebag.

images

Cutler gives off a massive aura of "I don't give a ****" while never being that good........he broke 4000 yards once ...... as a full time starter in today's game, that sucks

easy guy to dislike........he's Ryan Lochte of the NFL

Oh and another thing I took away but that weve already learned by watchkng him play....he absolutely prides himself on being as he said something like," a blue collar tight end and not a fantasy tight end, putting his hand in the dirt"

Quotes like that just gotta make your football fan pants a little tighter!

Blue Collar tight end
-- Seems to me a BB kind of guy

Thinking about Bennett in Dallas you can see the difference between a mediocre coaching staff without vision there and Belichick in New England. If Belichick had Bennett and Witten (for four years!) he'd have implemented the two-TE offense instead of using Bennett as second fiddle to Witten.

And then after seeing Bill Belichick's two tightend set "Jerrah" has been wanting to replicate it now, but hasn't succeeded in doing so. how ironic!

Just watched this. Changed my perception of both of them. That was pretty powerful around the 8 minute mark when the proverbial music just stopped as they recalled Michael's childhood ordeal with the ruptured appendix. By the time they showed The Malcolm Butler Play I actually felt bad for Michael. For the first time, I actually got a glimpse of Super Bowl XLIX from the other side. It was no fun.

So when we play the Seahawks next month I guess the Bennett brothers will be rooting for each other even if they can't/won't outwardly show it.

Their dad did a nice job with those two. I like how he raised them to be free spirited and say whatever the hell they want, but still be good, decent, thoughtful people.

As far as Witten, he has his own sympathetic backstory, with him overcoming an abusive childhood to become a good father to his own children, breaking the cycle of abuse. It was also documented on an E:60 episode.

So I don't read too much into the Witten thing as far as it meaning Witten is a bad teammate. Chemistry is unpredictable. Sometimes people just don't get along.

Nice video.

As far as Witten, he has his own sympathetic backstory, with him overcoming an abusive childhood to become a good father to his own children, breaking the cycle of abuse. It was also documented on an E:60 episode.

So I don't read too much into the Witten thing as far as it meaning Witten is a bad teammate. Chemistry is unpredictable. Sometimes people just don't get along.

Nice video.
i think that might have been the case. from what i gather by reading through some of the cowboys forums, witten didn't outright snub martellus. he just couldn't relate to MBs quirky sense of humor and interpreted it to mean he didn't take the game seriously. so after initially trying to help him out, witten eventually gave up.

the 2008 "hard knocks" featuring the cowboys was mentioned a lot since that was MB's rookie year. i wouldn't mind watching the parts with witten and MB.

i think that might have been the case. from what i gather by reading through some of the cowboys forums, witten didn't outright snub martellus. he just couldn't relate to MBs quirky sense of humor and interpreted it to mean he didn't take the game seriously. so after initially trying to help him out, witten eventually gave up.

the 2008 "hard knocks" featuring the cowboys was mentioned a lot since that was MB's rookie year. i wouldn't mind watching the parts with witten and MB.

I think I actually have that 2008 hard knocks on a hard drive somewhere. I just may have to go dig it up now. Clutchendola was in it, too, so all the more reason to go dig it up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back