Welcome to PatsFans.com

Dying of Consumption

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Nov 29, 2008.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Good article in the NYT for all the gloom and doomers out there who are playing chicken little and the sky is falling. The economy is doing what is very natural like I have been saying since the beginning of this mess. Take away all that excess equity that people had and the economy will settle in to where it would have been naturally without all that excess equity. Americans were trained to stop saving ... which is sad. Those who are blaming George Bush are merely naive when it comes to economics. Though Bush could have helped here and there ... this was inevitable.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/28/opinion/28roach.html?_r=2&ref=opinion

The sky is not falling at all ... America just needs to go on the financial diet that will now be forced upon them. Those WalMart videos show the problem all to well ... too many who think they have to have everything out there. Back in the 1700 and 1800's we were worried about food and shelter and now we worry about plasmas, cell phones, laptops and ipods. A painfull lesson perhaps ... but we did it to ourselves.
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 1 / -9

I agree with part of what you're saying and disagree with other statements you made IcyPat.

Yes, we are going through a contraction that is based upon the removal of the excess consumer spending that resulted from the real estate bubble and the subsequent over-inflation of the stock market that gave us all the illusion that personal wealth was increasing dramatically.

But that is not the only contraction this nation is going to experience. There is also the fact the almost every facet of our economy is out of balance and the only cure for that is recession. Remember, recessions are just as natural as booms in a capitalistic economy.

There is no doubt in my mind that we are headed for doom & gloom. So it would be wiser to plan for that rather than keep oneself in denial and believe that we are going through a little correction. Most experts and our federal gov't now believe this recession will be the worst we have seen since the depression.

Why it aggravates some people to read this is far beyond me. Why do people like you call people "doom & gloomers" when they say we're headed for trouble? When the economy was booming and it was in the news everyday, did anyone say, "for all the bright and boomers out there who are playing everything is beautiful and sunny days lie ahead"? I don't recall anyone writing that or getting frustrated with people posting about our booming economy...strange huh?:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  3. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

some people are in denial about the slowing down of the economy. I am not sure if I could say most, but Black Friday sales being up 3%? what does that mean? does it mean everyone is looking for the deals and won't spend after this or will they continue to spend in addition to black friday?

I hate the pressure of feeling obligated to spend.
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 1 / -9

There is a certain level of that this time of year, isn't there biggles? I think it also depends on the people we have in our lives. If someone is from a family that likes to spend a lot for christmas, then they're going to feel more pressure.
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

We are in that category, but we have stopped succumbing to it. Instead, we have the family functions here at our house because people think it feels "Christmassy" here (my house is 140 years old) and the wife and kids are awesome cooks. We've got fireplaces and trees and some animals, too. We don't believe in consumption and ostentaciousdisplays of gifting and we discourage it as much as we can. I make a lot of gifts in my shop during the year for the family. It's corny, but we have a blast. We also used to give people a lot of crap for going overboard on our kids, but they do it year after year anyways so we don't make a fuss anymore. "Thanks for the expensive gifts...here's your bat house."
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

I'm sold ... add 1 more for Dec. 25th ... :D

For years I've been preaching to my wife and family that we don't need to buy presents for Christmas. Family get together, crafts, baked goods, home made clothing etc... is where it's at. My wife says I'm a Scrooge around Xmas ... it's the commercialization of it all that makes me cringe. I like Xmas eve and Xmas day ... the rest is just to make $$$.
  7. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I like both of your philosophies on xmas.
  8. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

sounds weird but i'd love to see pics of your house. or maybe examples on the web of it.