PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dying Cardinal: Church is 200 years Out of Date

He may have waited to his death bed, but his message is loud and clear and comes from the very top.

Dying Cardinal: Church '200 years out of date' - World news - Europe - NBCNews.com

Hammer meet nail and he nails it. The church scene in my area of New England has seen the rise over the last 20-30 years in smaller places of worship. Storefronts, older unused buildings with low rent, some very nice structures that operate independently of other organized orders.

I've never been to any but my guess would be that these people feel closer to God, closer to that religious community of people. I often wonder how many people who go to church actually feel part of that churches community ... the church has really lost touch with it's followers.

If god is truly speaking to his people through the church then he's been dropping the ball - or - he's not there to pay attention anyways but that's another topic for another day.

So there are over 200 Cardinals in the church and almost 5,000 bishops and the liberal media quotes the one Cardinal who just happens to be a raging liberal.

I am shocked. :eek:

I would not attend any Catholic church which preached the sayings of the Pope. Santorum lectured on what is right according to the 'Catholic' rules and did not capture the Catholic vote. At work, the community is a pocket of Catholics, with a number graduating from Catholic schools. The stories they tell are pretty disturbing (non-sexual, btw).

So there are over 200 Cardinals in the church and almost 5,000 bishops and the liberal media quotes the one Cardinal who just happens to be a raging liberal.

I missed your point? It was a non-partisan post.

I would not attend any Catholic church which preached the sayings of the Pope. Santorum lectured on what is right according to the 'Catholic' rules and did not capture the Catholic vote. At work, the community is a pocket of Catholics, with a number graduating from Catholic schools. The stories they tell are pretty disturbing (non-sexual, btw).

Soooo....you'd attend a Catholic church that didn't teach what the Pope taught? Why bother attending a Catholic church at all if you don't believe in Catholicism?

Or maybe it's slightly more noteworthy when a prominent cardinal contradicts the Church than when one just echoes the status quo?

btw, the Italian paper that reported this is part of the "liberal media"?

I missed your point? It was a non-partisan post.

I wasn't directing my answer at you but rather the "reporting" of this non-story by the liberal media as some sort of appproval of their agenda.

Or maybe it's slightly more noteworthy when a prominent cardinal contradicts the Church than when one just echoes the status quo?

This Cardinal has been mouthing off for years with his progressive non-sense and everytime he farts, the liberal media can't wait to sniff it up.

Um...last time I checked "Corriere della Sera" seemed pretty liberal. But who knows by European standards.

Last edited:
Soooo....you'd attend a Catholic church that didn't teach what the Pope taught? Why bother attending a Catholic church at all if you don't believe in Catholicism?

I have moved around quite a bit, I have attended numerous Catholic churches that do not preach or lecture what the Pope dictates to the media (liberal or conservative). My statement pertaining to Santorum and the Catholic vote would support my assumption. Why do I attend the Catholic church? Because Catholicism is bigger then the Pope.
Seriously, there are plenty of threads that you can start a pissing contest. A Cardinal who was considered for the top position, stated what most Catholics feel, and you want to contest his dying words due to your interpretation of the media that he used?

The Catholic Church has never been a democracy. If you don't like Church teaching and values, leave. The whole premise is that they are delivering the wishes of God to man and if you believe that it is not your place to change the rules and standards God is telling humans to adhere to.

I say this as a person who left the Catholic Church 40+ years ago.

This Cardinal has been mouthing off for years with his progressive non-sense and everytime he farts, the liberal media can't wait to sniff it up.

Um...last time I checked "Corriere della Sera" seemed pretty liberal. But who knows by European standards.

I've never heard of the guy or the paper, so I have no reason to doubt what you say -- but I think the point still stands that a cardinal opposing church views is more noteworthy than a cardinal echoing church views.

The Catholic Church has never been a democracy. If you don't like Church teaching and values, leave. The whole premise is that they are delivering the wishes of God to man and if you believe that it is not your place to change the rules and standards God is telling humans to adhere to.

No idea how that's a reply to anything I said.

No idea how that's a reply to anything I said.

It was a general comment on the idea of people picking which C Church to attend dissenting opinions of Cardinals being important.

I should have quoted you.

This belongs in the religion forum. Could a moderator please move it.

I have moved around quite a bit, I have attended numerous Catholic churches that do not preach or lecture what the Pope dictates to the media (liberal or conservative). My statement pertaining to Santorum and the Catholic vote would support my assumption. Why do I attend the Catholic church? Because Catholicism is bigger then the Pope.
Seriously, there are plenty of threads that you can start a pissing contest. A Cardinal who was considered for the top position, stated what most Catholics feel, and you want to contest his dying words due to your interpretation of the media that he used?

Um..."Catholicism" is what the Pope teaches(in most cases) and I contest his dying words because they oppose the faith of the Roman Catholic church(the true faith, not the one your parish priest teaches you).
Most Catholics have no clue (sadly) what their faith teaches and more importantly why...this Cardinal should know better.

Bingo.

Sadly, as a non-practicing Roman Catholic you know more about the faith then most practicing Roman Catholics.

Catholicism is either all...or nothing. Cafeteria Catholics are missing the point entirely.

Bingo.

Sadly, as a non-practicing Roman Catholic you know more about the faith then most practicing Roman Catholics.

Catholicism is either all...or nothing. Cafeteria Catholics are missing the point entirely.

!2 years of parochial schools allowed me to make an informed decision. It is certainly their right to run the religion the way they believe God wants it run.

!2 years of parochial schools allowed me to make an informed decision. It is certainly their right to run the religion the way they believe God wants it run.

Well, it's more about "revelation". If a truth is revealed to them by God, who are they to change it?

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back