PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dwayne Bowe arrested for speeding and Marijuana possession

OK, I'll get into the nature of the consciousness a little. Your ego, what you think of as your "personality", is a logical construct. It is an illusion created by the mind to give a sense of permanency that has some useful applications in dealing with the exterior world. The conscious mind is always changing and is never identical from one instant to the next.

I think it's an argument of semantics to suggest that an intangible, ambiguous construct such as one's "personality" is an illusion. Obviously one's consciousness is ever-changing, gathering new information and entirely subjective to neurological and environmental factors at any given time, but I don't think that means the notions of behavioural and emotional tendencies should be discredited entirely. I believe something like cognitive dissonance utilizes both our viewpoints.

There's a huge difference between legalising something already prohibited and prohibiting something that is already legal and at the core of societal interactions. Being ideological is one thing (and boy I am) but at the same time certain realities can't be avoided and the fact that alcohol is so important in our society makes any argument about banning it pretty darn silly to be frank.

You're right that that's why one is currently legal and one is not. But that argument completely fails when explaining why one is legal and the other is not. If you can't come up with a reason why something should be illegal beyond "it's illegal", then there's no reason for it to be illegal at all.

Plenty of very successful and responsible people smoke pot on occasion.

Given the boatloads of people who want to ban cigarette smoking while legalizing marijuana, I'd say that this particular argument of yours is weak sauce. That's not that I don't agree with your point, by the way, because I'm a firm believer in the (especially federal) government minding its own freakin' business, and the smoking habits of private citizens is not government business. It's just that the american public is really stupid, and that's when it actually bothers to think instead of just reacting.

That doesn't make the argument weak. It means that, sort of as you said, the American public is pretty dumb as a collective entity. But over time, we eventually tend to get things right in certain, specific areas,largely because it's illegal because it's illegal because tradition/practical reality" doesn't hold up.

Realistically, acceptance of marijuana is coming, but it requires a bunch of old people to die first. That's pretty much how social progress always works.

That doesn't make the argument weak. It means that, sort of as you said, the American public is pretty dumb as a collective entity.

As I said, I agree with your point. The argument is weak in the sense that it won't really carry much force.

We are a very stupid people.

...Realistically, acceptance of marijuana is coming, but it probably requires a bunch of old people to die first. That's pretty much how social progress always works.

The Federal government has been able to use the drug war to almost completely revamp our society, and it's the hippie generation who are the current advocates of the enhanced approach. You think the Fed is going to stop that now, or that the powers behind the votes are going to change their minds willingly, regardless of which generation is in power? The American people can't get them to back off on socializing health care, legalizing millions of immigrants and the like, but you think they'll just meekly surrender a key method of power accumulation?

I hope you're right. It's failed to come to fruition since the 20's, though, and the biggest druggie generation in history hasn't gotten it done.

Never speed when you're doing something illegal smh. Thought that was common sense.

Given the boatloads of people who want to ban cigarette smoking while legalizing marijuana, I'd say that this particular argument of yours is weak sauce.

Smoking cigarettes will kill you and effects the health of those around you.

Vaporizing/consuming food with marijuana cooked in it will not kill you nor effect the health of those around you.

Not sure what's so confusing about that.

You offered nothing in the other direction. In fact, one of your claims is misleading, if not downright fraudulent. The claim that they are external sources, when one is being inhaled/injested and the other is merely a visual response trigger....

Come on.

I have already conceded that there are significant differences. I have also cited several fundamental similarities at a neurochemical level. His argument was that you can not compare the way taking drugs and personal experiences alter the mind. In simple terms, I gave a number of fundamental, compelling reasons whey they are similar.

If it would help you understand, I could start explaining distinct physical and logical mechanisms within the mind and how specific experiences and chemicals can affect them in very specific and sometimes similar ways. I could also point you to some pretty amazing stuff that Richard Davies has been doing with EEGs out in the University of Wisconsin. With enough information, you may come around to understanding (if not necessarily agreeing with) my perspective.

It is OK to disagree. It is also your right to use that condescending, dismissive tone in the face of some insightful and compelling ideas. Your understanding of the mind is clearly vastly different from mine.

Vaporizing/consuming food with marijuana cooked in it will not kill you nor effect the health of those around you.

Your facts are wrong or, perhaps more fairly, not actually established as facts. I'll leave it at that.

I have already conceded that there are significant differences. I have also cited several fundamental similarities at a neurochemical level. His argument was that you can not compare the way taking drugs and personal experiences alter the mind. In simple terms, I gave a number of fundamental, compelling reasons whey they are similar.

If it would help you understand, I could start explaining distinct physical and logical mechanisms within the mind and how specific experiences and chemicals can affect them in very specific and sometimes similar ways. I could also point you to some pretty amazing stuff that Richard Davies has been doing with EEGs out in the University of Wisconsin. With enough information, you may come around to understanding (if not necessarily agreeing with) my perspective.

It is OK to disagree. It is also your right to use that condescending, dismissive tone in the face of some insightful and compelling ideas. Your understanding of the mind is clearly vastly different from mine.

You claimed that they were both external. That's misleading, because the effects of a pill aren't the same when you stare at it (i.e. sunset) as when you ingest it. You can walk by an oxycontin all day without it doing anything significant to impact your body or mind. It only has its major impact when you actually take it.

And you don't need to point me to anything, thanks.

There's nothing confusing about that. But a lot of people in this thread don't know the facts about MJ. That's the confusing part...

<sniff> That glass of wine I had with my lunch <sniff> Man that was faaaaar out.

Please.

As opposed to taking a hit of a joint?

As you say, "Please"...

edit: btw, you referred to having witnessed the effects of weed as a former cop -- did you ever witness any damage resulting from drinking?

and please be honest here -- did the damage from weed really exceed -- or even approach -- the damage from alcohol?

The Federal government has been able to use the drug war to almost completely revamp our society, and it's the hippie generation who are the current advocates of the enhanced approach. You think the Fed is going to stop that now, or that the powers behind the votes are going to change their minds willingly, regardless of which generation is in power? The American people can't get them to back off on socializing health care, legalizing millions of immigrants and the like, but you think they'll just meekly surrender a key method of power accumulation?

I hope you're right. It's failed to come to fruition since the 20's, though, and the biggest druggie generation in history hasn't gotten it done.

Biggest "druggie" generation is growing up right now.

I have to say I agree with Manxman and AndyJohnson in regards to this issue. Not looking to get into a debate. I'll go back to lurking. Thank goodness Marijuana legalization failed in Ca. Marijuana Legalization Fails in California | The Nation

You realize, don't you, that practically speaking, pot is legal here, right? It's not quite as easy as booze, but any adult can buy weed almost as easily if they invest about a half hour of their time and $50 or so to get a license.

I'm not sure what you think would have happened if full legalization had occurred. but we'll find out in the next 10-15 years, I'd guess.

There's a huge difference between legalising something already prohibited and prohibiting something that is already legal and at the core of societal interactions..

Wow, you could have used this same ****ing awful argument to defend keeping slavery legal.

Alcohol is a poison that ruins families and entire lives. Like that fellow in my sig.

This guy absolutely has no argument as to why alcohol should be legal besides "well it already is legal might as well keep it legal".

Every experience we have alters our mind.

wnjdo_manning_761975.jpg

Last edited:
i think eli does bath salts

FDA Suddenly Bans Drugs That Have Been On The Market For Decades | Techdirt

One way the drug companies have been coping is to repackage and rebrand health food supplements. Drugs like Lovaza, which is nothing more than the fish oil you can get in health food stores, and lovastatin which has been in use for roughly a thousand years (800 AD) in the form of red yeast rice. In the case of lovastatin, the FDA banned the supplements because they are "identical to a drug and, thus, subject to regulation as a drug." That is very convenient for the drug company, which now charges monopoly rents on the product -- which can increase prices at ridiculous levels.

Methaqualone, Xanax,uppers ,downers, seconal,tuinal,Afrin spray....on and on ...the list of evil, hellspawned ,killer, addictive GOVERNMENT FDA approved drugs since the criminalization of marijuana by Anslinger and the first huge government contract with Dow to provide the troops in WW2 with BIPHETAMINE for every soldier in combat spawned profits so ridiculous it made the ludicrous marijuana jihad an actual political issue to procure and hold power. Hemp has been used by mankind for at least ten thousand years.

This notion that "it's been illegal so now that it's legal doesn't really mean that it wasn't correct to be illegal"...what happy horse*****...a pile 10 stories high. Here's your damn rationalization crammed right back down your blind bat throat...

segregated%20fountains.jpg

the whacked out Big Pharm backed right wingers in our government maintained the "Reefer Madness" hysteria for 60 years while they flooded the market with substances so highly addictive that DEATH RESULTS when usage stops. Consider the Big Pharm "cure" for heroin addiction....METHADONE. Once you are on it, you need hospitalization and readdiction to morphine to get off it or YOU DIE! You can't just stop methadone. Pretty neat, huh? 'It's all that marijuana's fault!!! THAT'S the gateway!!!!"

a bunch of blind sheep in this country...and for what it's worth, I don't use marijuana, I rarely take a drink, I do NOT smoke coffin nails and I refuse to take any kind of FDA approved "happy pills"...the biggest joke in US history..."take a Valium, hon...you'll feel better..."....krist...the best high for you and your continued existence is the exercise of your body. Someone a few posts back threw the whole baby boomer generation into one category...nice piece of overt bigotry unchallenged of course. Well, I come from that generation and there was a well known axiom at THAT time that seems to have been forgotten by EVERYBODY....QUESTION AUTHORITY.

Here endeth the rant...for good.I'll take my Patriot fan drugs and get high on the team I love.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back