Welcome to PatsFans.com

Dutch Court: Prosecute Anti-Islamic Lawmaker for Inciting Hate

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Jan 21, 2009.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +212 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

THE HAGUE, Netherlands — A right-wing lawmaker should be prosecuted for inciting racial hatred with anti-Islamic statements that include calling the Koran a "fascist book," a Dutch court ruled Wednesday.

Freedom Party leader Geert Wilders made headlines around the world in March 2008 with his film "Fitna," which juxtaposed Koranic verses against a background of violent film clips and images of terrorism by Islamic radicals.

In 2007, Wilders called for a ban on the Koran "the same way we ban 'Mein Kampf."' He said both Adolf Hitler's work and the Muslim holy book contain passages that contradict Western values............................................Wilders told Dutch media it was a "black day for myself and for freedom of speech."

FOXNews.com - Dutch Court: Prosecute Anti-Islamic Lawmaker for Inciting Hate - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

A little perspective when comparing America to other parts of the world

2. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This conclusion does not follow from the premise. We get very little if no perspective about the rest of the world from this. 1) America has hate speech laws as well, 2) FoxNews LOL @ information a vacuum, 3) 1 country != rest of the world, 4) 1 case != a trend even in 1 country, 5) Many countries treat these things differently than The Netherlands.

3. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +212 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Please don't change "parts of the world" to the "rest of the world" in an attempt to destroy my point. Its fine for atheists to post a sign next to Nativity scene and attack Christianity here.......The fact is if that man called the Koran a fascist book here he wouldn't be prosecuted for it. We have posters right here on the board that have said worse things about the Koran and the bible. Right now anti -Semitic and anti Christian speech is cool here but hey at least free people have the right to speak it.

LOL Fox News? Oh my God Fox News!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does this make it any better for you? Dutch court: prosecute anti-Islamic lawmaker - Yahoo! News

or this?

Dutch MP to be prosecuted over anti-Koran film ?Fitna?

or this?

Keyword: wilders

I can go on all day with links on this information vacuum.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  4. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Which parts of the world, then? Right, just 1. And it's just 1 case. 1 case in 1 country does not create perspective at all. In fact it tells us almost nothing. If there was any meat on the bones of the idea we could talk about it, but really there's just nothing there.

And by the way we have many laws which are far more draconian in other areas (e.g., drug laws, 3 strikes, highest prison population in the world, etc.). Perspective, indeed. But there's none in this story. I.e., the conclusion does not follow from the premise.

There you go.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +837 / 7 / -3

Obviously you didn't get the forum, or national memo, regarding non Obama bye-bye Dubya, related posts & information. This is Obama week, and there is nothing going on in the world. Anywhere. That includes in both parts of, and the rest of, the world. :D

6. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

And of course, LOL @ Fox News. I could do this all day.

7. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +212 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Just one?????There are parts of the world where this man would have his head cut off let alone prosecuted for his speech. Interesting how you manage to elevate a law that hinders free speech in a foiegn country as less draconian than many our laws here. Free speech is one of Americas most sacred rights.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +982 / 2 / -9

Harry Notice:
    1 -Most "Anti Christians" are "Left Wing Democrat Obama Groupies"

2 -During yesterdays Coronation all the "Left Wing Democrat Obama Groupies" did was PRAY TO GOD, they Prayed at the Crowning, they Prayed at Lunch, they Prayed at Dinner, they Prayed before they Danced and they Prayed their a$ses off for Uncle Teddy and KKK Byrd.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

9. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Not The Netherlands, though. They're just indicting. What's your point? You're really all over the place. How in the world do we extrapolate from speech in The Netherlands to, say, Saudi Arabia?

10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +982 / 2 / -9

Muslims Don't Like Cartoons

11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Nobody likes the things they hold dear to be made fun of. What's your point?

12. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +212 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'm all over the place? First you change my words to the rest of the world and then when I point out other parts of the world you make it sound like I was just talking about the Netherlands:confused:

Look the point of my post was to use this particular case to illustrate and appreciate our free speech here compared to other parts of the world. Maybe it was a little clumsy but I'm wondering why you have such a problem with it........Did the Fox News link get you going?

13. Turk

Turk Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Nevermind the fact that the source is Fox, there are no specifics to discuss as to the specific public comments, scenes in the movie, specific published articles, etc. besides the dark comparison of Mein Kampf to the Qoran.

Having said that, we do enjoy, here in America, even during the darkest days, more of freedom of speech, as opposed to anywhere else in the world, and that is a fact.

As to this idiot, he is achieving his goal, of getting his name in the news, front page.

And as to the pathetic comparison of the Qoran to Mein Kempf, which was written by a Christian:
    Do I have to remind you of the many Dutch that partnered with the Nazis, when not one Muslim did? Christians of Europe butchered their Jewish neighbors, not once or twice throughout history but much more frequently; and for the umpteenth time, and at a much more public and violent fashion, during the Holocaust. They voluntarily killed or at the least turned them in to the Nazis and we here in America, turned away more Jewish refugess than we took in, and yet every single movie that you see is about how the brave Europeans fought and suffered, right alongside their Jewish friends. All of a sudden, it is the Muslim that is the Jews' enemy. Nice spin. How did which Muslim country participate with the Nazis? The answer is none. Whereas "Christian Nations" from as far as Armenia were sending "voluntary" troops to join the Nazis in their "righteous" fight for ethnic cleansing.

Twice, first from Spain and the second time from Germany, European Jews ran for their lives, to the security, and open arms of a Muslim Nation, Turkey. And that is another fact.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 10 / -14

Perhaps the Dutch lawmaker is referring to freedom of religion in Saudi Arabia and many other muslim countries?

15. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

No, the logic is broken. That's what I noticed. The Fox News thing just corresponds nicely with broken logic. ;)

In any event I oppose nationalistic arguments along the lines of 'appreciate what you have in America because of X'. They tend to serve as a sleight of hand and usually X is a bogeyman as opposed to a legitimate problem.

16. Synovia

Synovia In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Wow.

Harry, if this is really what you are, if you really think this, then I have nothing but sorrow and pity for you.

17. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This is not a fact. In order for it to be a fact you'd have to be able to quantify freedom of speech and compare the level in every country. How in the world does one do that?

18. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

If you think Fox News is the only joke network, you're sorely mistaken.

19. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +115 / 10 / -15

#37 Jersey

Olbermann told him.

20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +982 / 2 / -9

Most people don't try to behead or dismember somebody who makes fun of something they hold dear.