Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_3_224/ai_59021115

"There's no sane reason for all the fuss over Belichick
Sporting News, The, Jan 17, 2000 by Dan Pompei"

"But why any team would want to hire this man as a head coach is baffling. Why Patriots owner Bob Kraft apparently is willing to give Belichick more power than he was willing to give Bill Parcells is beyond all reason."

I don't know what's funnier these days: that article or the responses he got from it:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_5_224/ai_59624233

"The NFL ruled last week that Bill Belichick can't work for any other team without prior consent of the Jets, but Dan Pompei already had weighed in on the issue (TSN, January 17) when he said Belichick simply is not head-coaching material. That thought was echoed by many readers, including Daniel Kuret of Tempe, Ariz.

"Every sentence of Pompei's article on Bill Belichick was right on target," writes Kuret. "As an employee of the Browns from 1990-95, I saw firsthand the destruction Belichick caused to the organization. I was 16 at the time, basically a coach's assistant during the summer, and during my school year I worked on the weekends. The guy was the most mean-spirited person I've ever come across, in the five seasons he worked for the organization, not once did I see him thank, greet, ask how somebody was, etc. A couple people would be walking down hallways, like Pompei wrote, and Belichick would just keep his head down and keep walking. Looking back, everyone thought he was just being a jerk, but that's how he really is every day. It is a wonder teams would be willing to give him any kind of control, let alone full control."

Kevin Montminy of Portland, Maine, called Pompei's column "the best column in two years since I started reading his work. Thanks for clarifying to people there is no great mystery to this dark, introverted human. He was born to be a coordinator. To be a head coach in the NFL is so much more than schemes, only he does not realize it. His boss (Bill Parcells) was a success because of how he dealt with people, the same reasons I also believe Belichick will fail again."

However, you do have to give credit to Pompei for eating crow two years later:

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-1332008/Belichick-deserves-credit-for-turnaround.html

Gives the introverts of the world hope, don't it?

Look, the guy isn't planning your next limbo party on the acapulco lounge. He's out to get the next Lombardi trophy... LOL I love looking back at this stuff. Now everybody talks about smart business models, and how you deal with these guys as men not kids you have to scream at, etc. etc. etc. I think the rise of BB was a tipping point for the "professionalization" of pro football.

Oh yeah one more thing... for anyone who thinks toughness means screaming in the face of a guy on the sidelines after every play. Everybody's heard how Parcells said to BB over the headset "that's why you'll never be a head coach."

How tough do you have to be to take that, keep your eye on the prize, and make him eat his words, through your actions and your dedication (not a tirade of your own)?

Preparation and discipline aren't loud and they aren't dramatic. They just work.

Thanks once more BB.

PFnV

HUGE kudos for Kraft seeing a gold mine when everyone else saw cole. Then again, I guess if your not funny, or your not a loud mouth, the media hates you.

It's amazing too, another thing I just thought of, what in the hell went so wrong for the Browns? They were sitting on a gold mine! Pioli GM, BB HC, Saban as a DC? Saban may not be a great HC, but I'll take him as a DC anyday. How that team accomplished so little is beyond me.

Well, probably my best guess is that Bill never had a stud like Tom either :D

HUGE kudos for Kraft seeing a gold mine when everyone else saw cole. Then again, I guess if your not funny, or your not a loud mouth, the media hates you.

It's amazing too, another thing I just thought of, what in the hell went so wrong for the Browns? They were sitting on a gold mine! Pioli GM, BB HC, Saban as a DC? Saban may not be a great HC, but I'll take him as a DC anyday. How that team accomplished so little is beyond me.

He didn't have ANY studs!!! That was his biggest problem. But yeah, what a hero this guy has turned out to be. So many times the mediots have tried to knock him down. Yet he still stays the course and perseveres. And as Pats1 said, kudos to Pompei for admitting he was wrong. Think Borges could learn a lesson from him? Nevermind. :p

Last edited:

What is cole????

What is ALMOST as funny as Pompei trashing of BB, was his glowing endorsement of Marty F**CKING Morningwig. I have a feeling that Bob Kraft doesn't consult with Pompei before he makes his big decisions. :D

BTW- I wonder if Pom..pei ever did a Mea Culpa on that column. If he didn't then he's Dan Pom..pous to me.

Last edited:
What is ALMOST as funny as Pompei trashing of BB, was his glowing endorsement of Marty F**CKING Morningwig. I have a feeling that Bob Kraft doesn't consult with Pompei before he makes his big decisions. :D

BTW- I wonder if Pom..pei ever did a Mea Culpa on that column. If he didn't then he's Dan Pom..pous to me.

Yeah, the mea culpa is mentioned in the original post. I think it's punishment enough that he's named for a place best known for preserving historical relics at the precise moment of their destruction.

But just think... what we could have done with Morningwig...

Besides a touch of arrogance and not being into the b******t PR aspect there was another reason for BB's attitude in cleveland.

Parcells was his mentor and he was trying to adapt a mean persona like Parcells. Problem was, Parcells was very animated and social while BB wasn't.

(He said that, by the way, I didn't make it up).

BB really isn't mean now, but he makes no bones about not being interested in the b********t.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey