PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dunlap Arrested for DUI/Suspended indefinitely

Lockdown06

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Just saw this on sportscenter - any chance this causes him to slide to the patriots range?

I don't know much about him, but he sounds like a physical freak who could get this team's pass rush going

Obviously this raises character issues but if it's a one-time thing he might be worth a look

Just saw this on sportscenter - any chance this causes him to slide to the patriots range?

I don't know much about him, but he sounds like a physical freak who could get this team's pass rush going

Obviously this raises character issues but if it's a one-time thing he might be worth a look

We've raised this issue on other threads already, but it probably deserves it's own thread.

I'm not sure he will slip to the Pats, but if he does I think there are 2 issues:

(1) Where would Dunlap fit on the Pats?

(2) What impact would his issues (inconsistency, lack of motivation, and the DUI) have on the Pats drafting him?

I think there's no doubt Dunlap is a physical freak, and a rare talent. But I don't think he's a 3-4 DE (he's really not terrific against the run for someone so big), which means that he would have to play 4-3 DE/elephant for us. He has great agility for such a big guy, and might be able to do that, but I'm not sure. He's listed at 290#, but I'm not sure if he would play lighter us. He seems like a much more athletic Jarvis Green to me.

If Dunlap fell to our 2nd round territory then I think he would be worth a gamble. Would BB use our 1st round pick on someone with so many issues? I'm not sure.

I'm sure BB will get an earful from Urban Meyer. If he's a good kid with one mistake who can be motivated then I'm all for it. Otherwise, he could be another Vernon Gholston type bust. (I had him going #16 to the Jets in my first mock, but that was before the DUI was reported).

TFYdraft (Tony Pauline's web site) posted this yesterday: "We've been closely monitoring the situation surrounding defensive end Carlos Dunlap throughout the day and have spoken with a number of sources in and around the Gainesville area. Dunlap was arrested on a DWI charge after he was found slumped over his steering wheel, asleep at a traffic light. Sources told us earlier today that Dunlap had likely played his 'last game at Florida,' which caught us by surprise as it means the junior will be suspended not only for the SEC Championship game but may not play in the Gators bowl game, likely to be of the BCS variety. Two months ago we alerted readers in our SEC/ACC Draft Notes that Dunlap would enter the draft after the season. This is now considered a foregone conclusion by those surrounding the Gator program."

TFY

TFYdraft also reports that Joe Haden and Aaron Hernandez are as good as gone, and that Maurkice Pouncey is leaning towards the draft, with his brother Mike likely to follow if he goes. I think the Pouncey's would be nice fits for the Pats, especially Maurkice, and had us taking them both at 41 and 90 in my first mock draft.

I also had Joe Haden going #10 to Tennessee. TFYdraft notes: "Another player we mentioned as likely to enter the draft in that report was cornerback Joe Haden. This is another foregone conclusion in Gatorland. We have Haden rated as our number one cornerback and people have told us they expect the junior to blow up the combine. Haden's dad is a semi-pro body builder and has trained his son in Maryland for years. Haden has previously completed 20 reps on the bench at 225lbs and has a 40-inch vertical jump to his credit." If Haden does blow up the combine, then I see him being the #1 CB by far and a possible top 10 pick.

TFYdraft (Tony Pauline's web site) posted this yesterday: "We've been closely monitoring the situation surrounding defensive end Carlos Dunlap throughout the day and have spoken with a number of sources in and around the Gainesville area. Dunlap was arrested on a DWI charge after he was found slumped over his steering wheel, asleep at a traffic light. Sources told us earlier today that Dunlap had likely played his 'last game at Florida,' which caught us by surprise as it means the junior will be suspended not only for the SEC Championship game but may not play in the Gators bowl game, likely to be of the BCS variety. Two months ago we alerted readers in our SEC/ACC Draft Notes that Dunlap would enter the draft after the season. This is now considered a foregone conclusion by those surrounding the Gator program."

TFY

TFYdraft also reports that Joe Haden and Aaron Hernandez are as good as gone, and that Maurkice Pouncey is leaning towards the draft, with his brother Mike likely to follow if he goes. I think the Pouncey's would be nice fits for the Pats, especially Maurkice, and had us taking them both at 41 and 90 in my first mock draft.

I also had Joe Haden going #10 to Tennessee. TFYdraft notes: "Another player we mentioned as likely to enter the draft in that report was cornerback Joe Haden. This is another foregone conclusion in Gatorland. We have Haden rated as our number one cornerback and people have told us they expect the junior to blow up the combine. Haden's dad is a semi-pro body builder and has trained his son in Maryland for years. Haden has previously completed 20 reps on the bench at 225lbs and has a 40-inch vertical jump to his credit." If Haden does blow up the combine, then I see him being the #1 CB by far and a possible top 10 pick.

You are right about Haden. He looks like the real deal. The crazy thing is that so many teams have needs on the offensive and defensive lines that it might cause some other talented players to fall. Dunlap could be one of them.

Here are my projections for the top 10:

3 OT
4 DL (2 DT's and 2DE's)
1 QB (there's always at least one)
1 WR (probably Dez Bryant- his suspension isn't really going to hurt him)
1 DB (Most likely Eric Berry)

That would bump Hayden out of the top 10. Now even if one of those players falls, I Rolando McClain might be to enticing to pass up.

Here are my projections for the top 10:

3 OT
4 DL (2 DT's and 2DE's)
1 QB (there's always at least one)
1 WR (probably Dez Bryant- his suspension isn't really going to hurt him)
1 DB (Most likely Eric Berry)

That would bump Hayden out of the top 10. Now even if one of those players falls, I Rolando McClain might be to enticing to pass up.

Assuming everyone who is eligible so far declares (which won't happen, but I'm not excluding anyone at this point given the possibility of a rookie salary scale in 2011 enticing large numbers to come out early this year), I would break the top 10 down this way:

- St. Louis, Cleveland, Washington and Buffalo are all likely top 10 teams that badly need a QB. Also possibly San Francisco, which could have a borderline top 10 pick from Carolina. Clausen appears gone from Notre Dame, Bradford is gone from Oklahoma. Lockett is on the fence. All 3 (and at least 2) are possible top 10 picks if they declare. Ryan Mallet could also make a jump up draft boards. So I'm guessing 3 QB's.

- Detroit, Kansas City, Oakland, Washington and Buffalo are all likely top 10 teams that badly need OL help. I think that 3 OT's could go in the top 10 - most likely Russell Okung, Bryan Bulaga and Bruce Campbell, though Anthony Davis could also crack the top 10.

- 2 DTs (Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy) are sure things to crack the top 10. Detroit, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, Oakland, Cleveland and Tennessee are all teams that could use DT help.

- Eric Berry is probably a top 10 lock if he declares.

That would leave 1 spot remaining. Players who could compete for that spot include WR Dez Bryant (but I really don't think there's a top 10 WR in this draft, and Bryant was suspended this season), DT Terrance "Mount" Cody (but I have a hard time seeing a possible 2 down guy going that high), DE Derrick Morgan, DE Carlos Dunlap (very unlikely after his DUI), LB, Rolando McClain, S Taylor Mays, and CB Joe Haden. Someone else may shoot up boards between now and April (Cameron Heyward is an outside possibility), but I see those guys as the most likely contenders. So I'm guessing it will mostly come down to team need and preference.

I'm not sure any of the DE's are clear top 10 values. Derrick Morgan is the most likely right now. There will be some workout warriors at the combine (Dunlap, Everson Griffen and Jason Pierre-Paul). And pass rushers tend to rise. But I'm not sure it will happen. No pass rushing DE was taken in the top 10 in 2009 (Tyson Jackson was a 3-4 DE, not a pass rusher).

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back