PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dungy takes another shot at Brady/BB...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the clarification. My reason for asking is that I believe that people of all religions can be devout and one might never know based upon what they say or do. Despite being the product of an all-male Catholic high school and an all-male (at that time) Catholic college, I don't consider myself particularly devout (much to my mother's chagrin). Anyway, my point is that I am one of those people who believes that Tony Dungy is a sanctimoniously holier-than-thou guy and that all of his religious comments and proselytizing come off as somewhat hypocritical when he takes thinly-veiled "shots" at Belichick, and others, as I have heard him do. The religious views people hold are none of my business, but I am bothered when celebrities use their positions of prominence to do "missionary work." I understand it's their right to do so, but I don't have to like it, and I don't.

He is definitely santimonious and holier-than-thou especially for blasting Belichick's morality when it comes to sportsmanship. He's the one with Howard Mudd on staff. Beyond that, what kind of humble person announces they have humble strength. And I thought it was over the top when after the Super Bowl he made it a point to say that, yes, it was a big deal that the first African-American coach won a Super Bowl, but more importantly it was a Christian coach that won the Super Bowl.

WTF? Why would that be important? I don't get it. Would it be important if a Jewish coach won it? A Muslim coach? And what the heck were all the other coaches that won it? Does anyone care? Dungy opens himself up a lot to these criticisms precisely because, in professing his faith, he seems to sleight the faith of others, he associates with homophobic groups and speaks for them, and then he openly questions the moral values of others (Belichick) all the while professing his "quiet strength."

I would tend to agree with you, but Dungy perhaps crossed the line into the public realm a little bit by speaking for outfits that were homophobic and hostile to gays. Speaking for personal issues like that in public opened Dungy up to the criticism, IMO, even though I think no one should mess with other people's lives like that. Now, if only Dungy would have taken that advice.

That's fine if you say Dungy is a hypocrite, I'm not disagreeing with the fact that he's not a Saint that he is portrayed as, at in fact I do agree. But poking fun at a tragedy is not just sinking to that level, but sinking below it. It's a 2 way street, if you want to take shots at Dungy for what you said, don't do the same and get on a personal level yourself. There's no defending a couple of the comments in this thread, I won't even quote the other one because already about 10 people have.

That's fine if you say Dungy is a hypocrite, I'm not disagreeing with the fact that he's not a Saint that he is portrayed as, at in fact I do agree. But poking fun at a tragedy is not just sinking to that level, but sinking below it. It's a 2 way street, if you want to take shots at Dungy for what you said, don't do the same and get on a personal level yourself. There's no defending a couple of the comments in this thread, I won't even quote the other one because already about 10 people have.

It depends on how you read them. As shots, they are cruel. But if someone is saying to Dungy, "Maybe if you weren't so homophobic, your son would have found more understanding and may not have committed suicide."

I think that's a harsh statement but ultimately it's fair. Dungy himself brought the personal into the public realm. You don't think gay kids in Indianapolis who happen to be Colts fan may have had just a bit harder time because of Dungy and his group openly speak against them? He brings the private into the public himself, and then his son commits suicide and his MySpace page makes it evident that he had issues with his sexuality.

I do think Keegs should leave it alone but I can't logically make an argument against him. Just be decent, Keegs.

Last edited:
It depends on how you read them. As shots, they are cruel. But if someone is saying to Dungy, "Maybe if you weren't so homophobic, your son would have found more understanding and may not have committed suicide."

I think that's a harsh statement but ultimately it's fair. Dungy himself brought the personal into the public realm. You don't think gay kids in Indianapolis who happen to be Colts fan may have had just a bit harder time because of Dungy and his group openly speak against them? He brings the private into the public himself, and then his son commits suicide and his MySpace page makes it evident that he had issues with his sexuality.

First of all, I don't remember this thread being about Dungy's personal worth, it was about a comment he made related to Brady vs. Manning. You can defend that poster's view all you want but that reply has no relevance and no place here, period. Secondly, once again I don't support Dungy's views nor do I like the guy in the slightest. You're comparing somebody speaking for an anti-gay group to sarcastically referring to the suicide of a man's son. If you really think it's okay to start talking specifically about a tragedy in one's family in response to Dungy speaking for an anti-gay group, I'm not going to back and forth with you trying to convince you otherwise.

First of all, I don't remember this thread being about Dungy's personal worth, it was about a comment he made related to Brady vs. Manning. You can defend that poster's view all you want but that reply has no relevance and no place here, period. Secondly, once again I don't support Dungy's views nor do I like the guy in the slightest. You're comparing somebody speaking for an anti-gay group to sarcastically referring to the suicide of a man's son. If you really think it's okay to start talking specifically about a tragedy in one's family in response to Dungy speaking for an anti-gay group, I'm not going to back and forth with you trying to convince you otherwise.

You have a bit of the sanctimony yourself, so I can see why you're taking the stand you are.

A man makes public statements against gays, then his son who has gay issues commits suicide.

And no one is supposed to say anything.

Thank you for your sanctimony.

F Dungy. 'nuf said.

You have a bit of the sanctimony yourself, so I can see why you're taking the stand you are.

A man makes public statements against gays, then his son who has gay issues commits suicide.

And no one is supposed to say anything.

Thank you for your sanctimony.

I didn't say who was right and who's wrong. I said I have my opinion and you have yours. And that I've decided I'm not going to continue going back and forth trying to convince you or anybody to think the way I do. Especially if you want to get smart and pull the righteous card. Have a good day upstater

Last edited:
I am glad that Saints won! Manning himself has done a great a job this year and was classy. But Dungy and Polian were taking shots at PATS, 2007 season or 4th and 2 unnecessarily with no context. It shows how classless they are and their inferiority-complex. The football Gods smiled at their stupidity.

"I would punt the ball to Tom Brady with one minute left," Dungy said. "Your coach is the best coach in the world and wouldn't punt it to (Manning). What does that say?"

I think it says that Tony Dungy is no dummy, knows that Manning can be beat by superior coaching and therefore knows that Belichick had the right idea but the wrong execution. The Colts lost Sunday in large part because Sean Payton had both the right idea and the right execution at the end of the first half when he salvaged a FG and, of course, at the beginning of the second half with the now historic onsides kick; he also coached his players to play aggressively, which had to have some effect on Porter's pick, which would have left the receiver with a lot of open space had he missed it.

It's actually very clever of Dungy to turn this into a Brady vs. Manning thing when what he's really trying to do is stop other HC's from being aggressive about keeping Peyton off the field.

I didn't say who was right and who's wrong. I said I have my opinion and you have yours. And that I've decided I'm not going to continue going back and forth trying to convince you or anybody to think the way I do. Especially if you want to get smart and pull the righteous card. Have a good day upstater

You're the one who threw this at me: "If you really think it's okay to start talking specifically about a tragedy in one's family in response to Dungy speaking for an anti-gay group..."

Is that not sanctimonious?

I gave you my reasons, and you chose to ignore them and imply that it's beneath you to dignify my post.

What else should I conclude?

Is that not sanctimonious?

Only if you choose to assume I said that statement in a certain tone and feel like getting defensive over it. I know what I said and how I meant it so I won't bother trying to convince you that it wasn't, because at the end of the day it's really not a load on my brain what you assume about me. I already responded to your views by saying no, I disagree that speaking for an anti-gay group leaves Dungy open to random sarcastic comments about the tragedy where it has no relevance to a discussion about Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. I didn't "ignore it to show that it is beneath me" as you claim. If you want to keep arguing it, go find one of the other 10 or so people that have said bringing the son into the discussion is classless and continue with your case that it is okay.

Last edited:
he's getting to be real annoying. i thought his prediciton that the colts would demolish the saints to be ridiculous. if anything, the super bowl will be close.

Dungy is a CLOWN!!!!

T
r
u
t
h :bricks::bricks::bricks:

Only if you choose to assume I said that statement in a certain tone and feel like getting defensive over it. I know what I said and how I meant it so I won't bother trying to convince you that it wasn't, because at the end of the day it's really not a load on my brain what you assume about me. I already responded to your views by saying no, I disagree that speaking for an anti-gay group leaves Dungy open to random sarcastic comments about the tragedy where it has no relevance to a discussion about Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. I didn't "ignore it to show that it is beneath me" as you claim. If you want to keep arguing it, go find one of the other 10 or so people that have said bringing the son into the discussion is classless and continue with your case that it is okay.

That's not what you wrote, but whatever.

I'm closing this thread due to complaints and people taking this to areas that are beyond football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes