PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dungy on sirius radio...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what's he's referring to specifically but I thought the Pats going into "prevent defense" with a freaking 18 pt. lead at the end of the 2nd quarter was a huge mistake as it allowed Peyton to get into a rhythm. Even though they didn't score a TD there, I knew the Pats were screwed (although I was hoping the freaking coaching staff would make the necessary adjustment at halftime). Also, whatever defense they played that allowed the Colts T.E. to run all over the field untouched. Hopefully someone knows exactly what Dungy was talking about.

The huge mistake we made was not scoring when we were up 21-3 with the ball in FG range. All the defensive "stuff" was largely because we ran out of defensive players in the second half. We could have ended it in the first half. No hold on Troy, 1st down, use more clock, either 24-3 or 28-3 at halftime.

Game over.

EXACTLY, i was yelling at the screen all through the 2nd half.."Get the hell out of that soft defense."

I've been yelling that ever since Romeo left.

I've been yelling that ever since Romeo left.
:confused:

I think Mangini and Pees are both more aggressive DC than Romeo was - they only go soft when they run out of players; which happened each of the last two years.

I don't know what's he's referring to specifically but I thought the Pats going into "prevent defense" with a freaking 18 pt. lead at the end of the 2nd quarter was a huge mistake as it allowed Peyton to get into a rhythm. Even though they didn't score a TD there, I knew the Pats were screwed (although I was hoping the freaking coaching staff would make the necessary adjustment at halftime). Also, whatever defense they played that allowed the Colts T.E. to run all over the field untouched. Hopefully someone knows exactly what Dungy was talking about.

Maybe they were playing prevent, but I saw that as the start of the team running out of gas. If you notice the front 4 not able to get any pass rush push. Maybe they were exhausted or the colts did a darn good job of holding.

Yeah, he really was. That's why, if you remember, McGinest and Colvin, both, went to Mangini and asked to be more agressive.

It was widely publicized.
Yes I know. But Harrison was hurt around week 3 - until then Mangini was very aggressive. It was after that that he became more passive. With both Harrison and Brucshi out.

If I had to pick a single mistake that cost us the game it was the 12 men penalty.

The reality is that if we had made a first down there, we almost certainly would have won. Even if we'd picked up the first down on second down, we could have run the clock down to the point where overtime was, at worst, the best the colts could hope.

In my mind, we were in 4 down territory that drive, no matter what. I still think we were, even on 4th and 4. But, in any event, if we'd started with needing 10 yards there, I give us a better than 50/50 chance of winning that game.

Yeah, he really was. That's why, if you remember, McGinest and Colvin, both, went to Mangini and asked to be more agressive.

It was widely publicized.

There were a lot of injuries \ bad players in 2005. Hate to bring back bad memories, Duane Starks, Monty Beidel, Chad Brown.. Bruschi and Seymour missed a lot of time and Harrison was out.

Magini may have been playing vanilla but he had that bunch rolling towards the end of the season. Whether it was prompted by the players our a result of the personnel being capable of absorbing more complex schemes can be debated.

The bottom line was that as a DC he had his players playing their best football at the end of the season. That is exactly what a coach should do and it is how the Patriots won their Superbowls. This years defense was going in the opposite direction, the Pats allowed a 100 yard rusher in 6 of the last 7 (exception Jets Wild Card), going back further is was 8 out of 11 after week 8. Terrible trend as most BB teams tighten up towards the end of the season.

Some of it was injuries (Seau, Harrison, Wlilfork missed time, Seymour was banged up)

Game Opponent Allowed
1 Bills 99
2 Jets 51
3 Broncos 144
4 Bengals 71
5 Dolphins 62
6 Bills 75
7 Vikings 45
8 Colts 53
9 Jets 117
10 Packers 43
11 Bears 153
12 Lions 77
13 Dolphins 131
14 Texans 105
15 Jaguars 144
16 Titans 171

WC Jets 70
DIV Chargers 148
CONF Colts 125

Last edited:
We were basically screwed once we blew the last part of the first half. 2nd string SS, 3rd string FS, poor coverage LB; against a team that lives on passing in the middle of the field. Maybe we should have been more aggressive - we were mostly unlucky to lose so many guys against exactly the wrong team. Full lineup against the Colts we're fine. The lineup we had against the Ravens, we're fine. Wrong guys out at the wrong time against the wrong team.

It also didn't help that Colvin missed a lot of the second half, a lot of our pass rush disappeared with him.

I cant even think about this game anymore, the more I think , the more depressed I get...

I'm basically over it but this week will be tough. And I still have flashbacks to several plays which would have clinched it :(

The biggest mistake we made in that game was preparing for an all out air attack in the 2nd half and not adjusting when we saw Addai was till very much a part of the offense and little dink and dunk passes to Garret Mil...i mean Dallas Clark and Other TE's were the things working for the Colts. Very Un-Belicheck Like not to adjust on the fly... We kept playing soft backedup coverage.?? Who knows..

It didnt help that our defense was severly depleated and overmatched (coverage LB's couldnt stick with anybody, Not Punishing hits being delivered)

Did anyone actually hear the interview? Did dungy elaborate on what the mistake was....I mean I can think of several, but what specifically was he referring too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back