PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dungy on Haynesworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds about right.

FFS.

You think he'd have learnt to be less judgemental.

Stupid stupid stupid

:bricks:

I also think Dungy's analysis is correct. I don't think I've heard anyone state that he's a self motivated player. In fact, I've heard it questioned as to wether or not he enjoys the game of football.

I'm visiting DC and went to Redskins camp yesterday. As one can imagine, they're very happy to have him gone. I don't like the move, but we'll see how it plays out.

Pretty honest appraisal, I have no problem with it.

I don't think this will work out well.

Tony Dungy wouldn’t touch Albert Haynesworth | ProFootballTalk

Saint Tony knows he could only thrive in a low adversity environment.

OK...but he also says this:

“They have a great track record of doing that with Corey Dillon and Randy Moss and getting years out of guys when no one else could,” Dungy said of the Patriots. “So we’ll see. I would bet on Belichick with Haynesworth . . . .”

IOW he says there's a pretty good chance Belichick can make this work, but if he were the coach he wouldn't have wanted a player with such a lousy attitude. How utterly reasonable and uncontroversial.

Even the folks on this board who love the trade agree that Albert has a huge motivation and attitude problem. The hope is that BB can squeeze a year or two of productivity out of that massive mound of talent before the meltdown.

Think of it this way: there are plenty of fans (and media) who still fume over trading away one season of Seymour for a 1st-round pick. If they can get one season of "good" Haynesworth for a mere 5th, that's an awesome deal.

I have no problem with anything he said. He didn't say that Albert Haynesworth wasn't going to succeed here he said that from what he's seen from him, he wouldn't sign off on the move if he were in the same position. Why are we all the sudden giving Haynesworth the benefit of the doubt when it comes to weather or not he will return to his old self? Im hoping but lettuce be real tea, if he was with the Jets we'd be singing a different tune.

Haynesworth should cop some guns and try to kill people then he might fit Dungy's model better

Nothing to see here, folks.

He didn't say anything wrong to me. He just expressed his feeling towards the situation which we have to admit, is a big one even for BB.

I think haynesworth is motivated to play for that Pats though and will be a beast for us on defense. I can't help but see happy games ahead.

I have no problem with anything he said. He didn't say that Albert Haynesworth wasn't going to succeed here he said that from what he's seen from him, he wouldn't sign off on the move if he were in the same position. Why are we all the sudden giving Haynesworth the benefit of the doubt when it comes to weather or not he will return to his old self? Im hoping but lettuce be real tea, if he was with the Jets we'd be singing a different tune.

If he was with the Jets people here would be *****ing and moaning about how they just acquired one of the most dominant DL of the past decade if motivated, and would be crying about how the Patriots never pull off this kind of move.

Sounded to me more like he was commenting on the fact that he wouldn't have personally signed AH but that he thought BB might be able to pull it off. Seems fair to me.

Last edited:
Oh, and by the way, after all of the Vick man-love this kind of statement by Dungy does strike me as a little hypocritical.

If he was with the Jets people here would be *****ing and moaning about how they just acquired one of the most dominant DL of the past decade if motivated, and would be crying about how the Patriots never pull off this kind of move.

Seriuosly, there were people here who thought that Nnamdi going to the Jets would be a good thing. People would give all kinds of criticism to Rex for a move like this.

Seriuosly, there were people here who thought that Nnamdi going to the Jets would be a good thing. People would give all kinds of criticism to Rex for a move like this.

Absolutely.

This board is the biggest congregation of thumb sucking homers (and Band Wagoner’s) anywhere on the planet.

If it weren’t for a handful of posters who I respect, I’d never come here. The Fanboys are unbearable. Like nails on a chalkboard. 75% aren’t even old enough to know what football is like without a HOF QB under center.

/rant.

Last edited:
Not really a controversial statement. Haynesworth has flashed brilliance in his career, but he has been another Peppers - shows up when he wants to, stands there when he doesn't feel like playing. Nobody questions his potential or ability. They only question his heart and his brain. He has earned that criticism.

This is a low cost gamble on the hope the Pats can get him to play to his potential consistently and add to this defense. Anyone who does not see this guy as toting plenty of baggage and meriting tons of criticism probably hasn't tracked his career very closely.

One thing I have never really quite understood is why so many people keep repeating that Corey Dillon had a bad attitude and was a troublemaker, like Dungy implies in the accompanying article. Perhaps it's just one of those things that gets repeated so often that it eventually became accepted as fact.

That's not to say Dillon was a choir boy, because he was not. He was arrested in 2000 on a domestic battery charge. I'm not condoning that; far from it. But stop and think of how many NFL players have been arrested over the years. Does every one of them have the same label pinned on them that Dillon did? Hardly.

The Cincinnati Bengals are one of the NFL's worst run franchises, and because Dillon wanted to win and for the team to improve, somehow that got twisted around as him having a me-first attitude and not being a team player.

Perhaps people look at Moss and say he had a bad attitude before coming to Foxboro, and then when they want to make a point about Belichick having a history of doing this they feel compelled to find a second example - and Dillon, for right or wrong, becomes Exhibit B.

Which would be fine, except that the evidence doesn't back up the accusation.

One thing I have never really quite understood is why so many people keep repeating that Corey Dillon had a bad attitude and was a troublemaker, like Dungy implies in the accompanying article. Perhaps it's just one of those things that gets repeated so often that it eventually became accepted as fact.

That's not to say Dillon was a choir boy, because he was not. He was arrested in 2000 on a domestic battery charge. I'm not condoning that; far from it. But stop and think of how many NFL players have been arrested over the years. Does every one of them have the same label pinned on them that Dillon did? Hardly.

Dillon actually had multiple arrests dating back to his youth, and a reputation as one of the league's worst locker room malcontents. There were also some episodes of bad behavior toward his home town fans, like throwing his uniform into the stands after a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes