PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dungy: Draft Luck...Trade Manning if he can still play

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only problem with your analysis is none of these guys were "can't miss" or "once in a generation".

All the flaws that made these guys busts were recognized by people. The Colts didn't draft Leaf because he said the first thing he would do after the draft is head to Vegas.

Russell? problems were well known...except by Uncle Al

VY?

Also, the Detroit scouts didn't want Harrington, Millen wanted Harrington.

Besides, the issue going forward and why Dungy makes a valid case is the simple fact that Manning has only LIMITED time left. So what if he has two years? You think that team can still compete, is it built long term?

In the Dungy scenario, Luck and picks afford you the POSSIBILITY of building long term success based on a QB and team.

The Manning retention is short term and academic.

Only there is no Luck and picks equation. If Manning can play he will finish his career in Indy. If he can't he's retired. There is no way in hell he agrees to go anywhere else. We know how anal he is. It takes him a year or two just to coach up his new WR's on a team that essentially knows how to play with him calling the shots at the LOS. It would take him 2-3 years to train an entire offense, and he's not going to go out playing some idiot OC's scheme just to be accommodating...

If he can play that team will look a lot better next season simply by virtue of their draft positioning. And a new HC whose primary duty will be to refocus that defense. If they get the Luck pick to parlay into multiple picks, they will be set up so that any quality QB can be brought in over the next couple of seasons to understudy and backup for a season and take over when Manning finally departs. You put Luck out their next season with that crew and little more than a high second and third to upgrade with and he will get killed.

Manning is signed for another 4 years and 3-4 seasons in the NFL isn't short term or academic when you are as dependent on team generated revenue to function as a team like the Colts is. Irsay doesn't have deep pockets. He just has the Colts.

Only there is no Luck and picks equation. If Manning can play he will finish his career in Indy. If he can't he's retired. There is no way in hell he agrees to go anywhere else. We know how anal he is. It takes him a year or two just to coach up his new WR's on a team that essentially knows how to play with him calling the shots at the LOS. It would take him 2-3 years to train an entire offense, and he's not going to go out playing some idiot OC's scheme just to be accommodating...

If he can play that team will look a lot better next season simply by virtue of their draft positioning. And a new HC whose primary duty will be to refocus that defense. If they get the Luck pick to parlay into multiple picks, they will be set up so that any quality QB can be brought in over the next couple of seasons to understudy and backup for a season and take over when Manning finally departs. You put Luck out their next season with that crew and little more than a high second and third to upgrade with and he will get killed.

Manning is signed for another 4 years and 3-4 seasons in the NFL isn't short term or academic when you are as dependent on team generated revenue to function as a team like the Colts is. Irsay doesn't have deep pockets. He just has the Colts.

Mo

You may very well be completely correct.

My point is........what Dungy says is logical.

Draft stud QB and trade veteran franchise QB for ginormous picks to rebuild team. There is nothing wrong with his logic.

You wouldn't do it and don't think it will happen. I respect that.

However, Dungy is not dumb in his thinking. If I took over Indy tomorrow and could draft Luck, I'd be figuring out a way to get that done.

Mo

You may very well be completely correct.

My point is........what Dungy says is logical.

Draft stud QB and trade veteran franchise QB for ginormous picks to rebuild team. There is nothing wrong with his logic.

You wouldn't do it and don't think it will happen. I respect that.

However, Dungy is not dumb in his thinking. If I took over Indy tomorrow and could draft Luck, I'd be figuring out a way to get that done.

Just because you and Tony dungy think it's logical doesn't make it so. Again, Manning won't cooperate with any trade for lots of logical reasons. He has stated that this contract insured he would finish his career as a Colt. As has Irsay. If he can play, that's where he will play. If he can't, they can't get anything for him in trade... If the Colts don't pick up his option he is guaranteed a one year deal only (2012) at $28M... No team will trade for him under those circumstances because they would hint that the Colts don't think he can play ergo they would need one hell of a backup... (or else they would have picked up his option in which case they can't afford to trade him because of $38M in dead cap). And they probably won't know for a fact if he can play until next May when the off season programs and mini camps unfold.

One of the reasons they are struggling and seemingly unable to regroup this season is because they have $31M tied up in the QB position...and Curtis Painter now is the only QB on their roster available as a starter...

And for the record, Dungy is dumb as a brick...

If they TRADE Peyton to Miami I'll SHYT:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back