PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dungy: Draft Luck...Trade Manning if he can still play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too late. The decision to cut Manning begins five days after the Superbowl. I will bet that Manning will never play again.
I'm with u here......I think he would be an idiot to play again. With two cervical fusions...any further major hits couldc put him at risk for major neurological problems (even paralysis or hemiparesis) i would imagine. I think he should retire at end of season. The guy certainly doesn't have anything left to prove....

There's far to many "If's" for Dungy or anyone else to be making any declarations at this point The first thing to determine is how Manning's health and ongoing ability is - that's going to be the biggest factor Depending on how that works out the Colts determine if they, or another team, is willing to pick up the February option The next thing is to see how the draft shakes out, not to mention Luck's health through this season Perhaps they decide to keep Manning as insurance, if his health and skills are good enough, while they take time to focus in the offseason as possible to see what they really have with Luck, as well Sure they'd have missed the opportunity to trade Manning for a 2012 pick but they can always gain future picks So there's a lot that needs to shake out first

I guess reading really is a lost art. They can't trade him next February. THEY either pick up the option on the 4th day of the new league year in March or he's not theirs to trade unless they find someone willing to take him on a one year $28M deal and they are still on the hook for $16M in dead cap in 2012 if they cut him before March 4th (or $54M if they don't) while they try and figure out if Luck - if he's even interested in becoming the guy who tried to replace Manning at a third of what #1 drafted B's used to get - can run the simple timing offense it took Manning many seasons to master to the point it paid off well enough to get a new stadium deal and nine to win a Lombardi... Gameday ticket sales and resale and attendance are already down. And that's before they even put Peyton on IR...

He and Irsay are on record saying he will finish his career as a Colt and he believes this contract made that a fait accompli...which it did. If they draft Luck to sit behind Manning they will be on the hook for $24M+ at the position for the duration of his time as their backup...Irsay is on record saying you can't field a competitive team with a QB cap hit topping $20M. And if they don't make a lot of improvements including on offense (absent a feature RB and behind an OL which has struggled and will struggle more when Saturday likely hangs them up) not to mention retain a couple of key cogs (Wayne and Mathis) who are UFA in 2012, Luck might see the field sooner and replace Manning as the one taking the beating Collins and Painter have been enduring this season...with Peyton's dead cap whittled down to around $26M...as he heads for retirement as a Colt due to cumulative injury.

Dungy is a clown for commenting cavalierly on something with implications he obviously doesn't remotely understand which doesn't surprise me since he was never more than a glorified DC and motivational figurehead HC...kind of like Rex only more sanctimonious and hypocritical...and in possession of a ring only because he had the good fortune to land on a team with a first ballot HOF QB on the roster...

Last edited:
Dungy is a clown for commenting cavalierly on something with implications he obviously doesn't remotely understand which doesn't surprise me since he was never more than a glorified DC and motivational figurehead HC...kind of like Rex only more sanctimonious and hypocritical...and in possession of a ring only because he had the good fortune to land on a team with a first ballot HOF QB on the roster...

And even then, they barely beat a flu-ravaged Patriots team and had the luck of drawing one of the worst NFC representatives in modern history. . . .

Normally, any chance I get to take a dump on the Colts and their situation I will. But in this case, I just have to ask that if the Pats were in this same situation with Brady what would BB do?

I don't see the problem of the colts drafting Luck AND keep Manning. Cam Newton only got 4 years 22m. There's a rookie cap now. Keep Manning for 1 year to stabilize the franchise and teach Luck. Then trade Manning to Seattle for 3 1st rounders.

No one even knows if Luck will declare.

BTW, in the 1983 draft, Elway went #1. He was from stanford, just like Luck. The interesting thing is, Dungy (who was one of the steelers coaches) said they passed on Dan Marino, who went to the fish at 27, in favor of the aging Bradshaw. Imagine what would have been for the steelers if they had picked Marino. Also, Bills picked Kelly at 14 and Patriots picked QB Tony Eason at 15. We also had a chance at Marino.

Franchise QBs are hard to come by. If you have a chance to get one, you take it. The Mallett pick is great insurance for the next decade if he blossoms.

According to Rooney the Steelers were very intrigued by Marino and were interested in getting a replacement for Bradshaw but instead drafted Gabriel Rivera instead, the thought was that the Steelers were traditionally all about their D-line so that's where they should focus. Franchise QBs will likely have more long-term impact than any other position.

Normally, any chance I get to take a dump on the Colts and their situation I will. But in this case, I just have to ask that if the Pats were in this same situation with Brady what would BB do?

Win a few games? Or more?

The point is moot.

The Colts have already made their bed with Manning's contract: he ain't going anywhere.

The ONLY remaining question ~ should the Colts land the #1 spot ~ would be whether they should draft the extraordinary Mister Luck for themselves, or whether they should trade him to the highest bidder.

moot.jpg

The point is moot.

The Colts have already made their bed with Manning's contract: he ain't going anywhere.

The ONLY remaining question ~ should the Colts land the #1 spot ~ would be whether they should draft the extraordinary Mister Luck for themselves, or whether they should trade him to the highest bidder.

The Colts would be fools to pass on Luck. Luck is a once in a generation QB. Look at what he did to Washington last night. Wow!

I don't know why the Colts would consider doing it, but there is no reason the Colts could not trade Manning. especially if Manning agrees to restructure his contract.

At the end of the day, it is the doctors that will ultimately decide Manning's future.

I actually feel sorry for Manning. After all he's done for that franchise (as this season is proving how much he has to do with their success), not only does his owner throw him under the bus, but his previous coach does the same. Just how much more disrespectful can it get?

I actually feel sorry for Manning. After all he's done for that franchise (as this season is proving how much he has to do with their success), not only does his owner throw him under the bus, but his previous coach does the same. Just how much more disrespectful can it get?

Manning wasn't paid for his service, his did it out of the kindness of his heart?

As uncomfortable as it might be sometimes it's important to remember that this is a business and it's the responsibility of the team to do what is in their interest, and if that means moving on from Manning to Luck or Mallett, so be it.

I think they could actually get much better value with Mallett, if they're in the position to draft Luck they can use the picks/players they get from leveraging the pick to pick up Mallett and then some.

Win a few games? Or more?

:confused:My question was asking how people think Belichick would handle a hypothetical situation if Brady was the same age and had a similar injury if given the chance to draft Luck, would he look to trade Brady and develop Luck?

Manning is going to be a Colt until he retires...period!

I would bet my home that there is ZERO chance...and I mean ZERO possibility that he plays elsewhere before he heads to Canton.

With Brady,I am not so certain will retire as a Patriot, but with Manning that is a definite.

:confused:My question was asking how people think Belichick would handle a hypothetical situation if Brady was the same age and had a similar injury if given the chance to draft Luck, would he look to trade Brady and develop Luck?

I understood the hypothetical. I'm just saying that the Pats without Brady are still not likely to be in a position to contend for the first pick in the draft.

According to Rooney the Steelers were very intrigued by Marino and were interested in getting a replacement for Bradshaw but instead drafted Gabriel Rivera instead, the thought was that the Steelers were traditionally all about their D-line so that's where they should focus. Franchise QBs will likely have more long-term impact than any other position.

And who knows what would have been if Rivera hadn't been paralyzed in that auto accident midway through his rookie year......

More wisdom from the clown who always insisted Manning was the GOAT and predicted Manning would start this season unless he was dead. Such loyalty to the guy who saved his HC career and got a glorified DC a ring and all those book deals and a gig on SNF. No wonder the Colts are always tossing each other under busses... It starts from the top (Polian - Ursay's actually almost loyal to a fault after being raised by a drunk who had none) and filters straight down. Manning is worth more to that franchise retired than Luck might ever prove to be in his lifetime.

Colts | Tony Dungy says team should pursue Andrew Luck - NFL Hot off the Wire

I have no problem with Dungy's comments for a number of reasons, several of which have already been cited in this thread.

I'll just throw into the pot the fact that the average retirement age of an SB era HOF QB is 37.5. And, except for Elway, they all had declining performance in their final seasons and, except for Elway, none of them won an SB after the age of 35.

I recently used the analogy of the final years of the Brady/Manning era as a perfect late summer's day on the Cape. The sun is low in the sky, but it's still warm, the waves are still perfect, the big crowds have gone and the beer is still cold. We've all experienced days like that...we sit there and wish they could go on forever. But "this too shall pass" and Dungy is just acknowledging that at least one of these gods may be nearing the end of his reign.

I don't think either would "tarnish" his legacy by ending his career elsewhere and expect that one or both of them might do that; I don't think it makes any difference that we're now living in a 24/7 media culture. They will both still be gods and we will all still feel privileged for having lived through their time.

Bad comparison. Brady is a couple of years younger than Manning, and right now is performing at MVP levels for both this year and last year. Manning on the other hand has severe neck injuries and nobody knows if he will ever strap them on again. I may agree that Luck is overhyped, but the QB situation in Indy right now is a disaster waiting to happen.

im tired of all this praise of Luck...he may be good, but the guy hasnt shown anything yet on an NFL field for all this talk about having to throw out manning and draft him..

manning may be old, but so is tom brady!.....what the Colts need to do is draft a solid QB and let him learn under manning...whether that be luck or someone else.

like what the packers did with Favre-Rodgers, and what the Patriots are now doing with Brady-Mallet...having any rookie QB sit behind an elite QB and learn/ease into the NFL is the best possible situation

I actually feel sorry for Manning. After all he's done for that franchise (as this season is proving how much he has to do with their success), not only does his owner throw him under the bus, but his previous coach does the same.

They're doing it for his own protection.

After all: his entire Offensive Line is already down there. ;)

And who knows what would have been if Rivera hadn't been paralyzed in that auto accident midway through his rookie year......

Ok, what makes a team decide on one player v. another, because you can employ that line of thinking with anyone as you never know what any particular player might become. Marino was already nasty in college, Bradshaw was in decline, and the lack of a QB was a huge issue to them even with the Steel Curtain in place, and they also had as much intel as you could want on him since he played in the same town. The decision was based on position, Rivera was on the D-line and that's what they'd traditionally been known for.

I believe the best way to manage personnel is based on the potential impact they have on the team, and no position has more impact than the QB. This doesnt mean I automatically take the QB, but if it's one with the skills Marino had there isn't a D-lineman in history that would be more impactful than Marino, IMO.

More wisdom from the clown who always insisted Manning was the GOAT and predicted Manning would start this season unless he was dead. Such loyalty to the guy who saved his HC career and got a glorified DC a ring and all those book deals and a gig on SNF. No wonder the Colts are always tossing each other under busses... It starts from the top (Polian - Ursay's actually almost loyal to a fault after being raised by a drunk who had none) and filters straight down. Manning is worth more to that franchise retired than Luck might ever prove to be in his lifetime.

Colts | Tony Dungy says team should pursue Andrew Luck - NFL Hot off the Wire

Mo

Have to disagree here.

You don't seriously think the Jets or Cowboys would not jump on a healthy Manning?

If Palmer is worth 2 1sts, Manning is......

Where I would go if I was Polian is I would gut the team. Clark, Freeney, Saturday..........and max out my picks and TOTALLY rebuild.

Too bad for them, they will not have Mathis and Wayne after this year. If they can sign and trade, all the more.

People do not give the hoodie the props for the multi year picks acquisition spree that allowed us to reload.

Indy, well, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back