PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dungy clock management??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzFritz

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice the bizarre clock management by the colts at the end of the jets game? Ball on the 1/2 yard line with a minute left. First and goal. They could have easily run it down to 20 seconds or less and iced the game. Instead they hurried to the line and ran it in, giving Chad the MAXIMUM amount of time possible in the situation to stage a comeback.

I thought it was highly questionable. Kind of situationally unaware, that I doubt very much BB would have done in that situation.

To be fair... that was probably Manning. Colts were in hurry up mode and caught the Jets off guard. They assumed like you did and weren't ready for the QB sneak by Manning. Ended up being the easiest QB sneak of all time.

BlitzFritz said:
Did anyone else notice the bizarre clock management by the colts at the end of the jets game? Ball on the 1/2 yard line with a minute left. First and goal. They could have easily run it down to 20 seconds or less and iced the game. Instead they hurried to the line and ran it in, giving Chad the MAXIMUM amount of time possible in the situation to stage a comeback.

I thought it was highly questionable. Kind of situationally unaware, that I doubt very much BB would have done in that situation.
i thought the same thing, the jets could have pulled a madden play and downed the kickoff return at the 1 inch line, but in all seriousness you take the points especially with their running game.

I agree with Ryan, if you look at the replay, the Jets were still moving around when the Colts snapped the ball. I think that Peyton saw that as their best chance to score before the defense could get set.

BlitzFritz said:

When you are behind by a TD or need to score a TD...you score when you can and then worry about the whole "too much time left on the clock"...Colts were out of time outs ,what if he had milked the clock and there was a fumbled snap or something ?it was the right call IMHO....score and get ahead when its your last off possesion and then play something called Defense...

BlitzFritz said:

Credit the Clock MISmanagement to the lack of practice or the lack of practice in maintaining POISE. When you run up the score to win by thirty, you never have to practice things like "clock management", or "POISE". it shows up in play selection too. Against the Steelers, the Colts had a FD and a very long FG try to tie. Instead of trying to get another ten yards by short passing or runs improving the chances, they threw it thirty yards into the endzone from the experiences of running up the score. They missed the long FG; end of game; end of end of Super bowl hopes; end of season.

It shows up too in the playoffs in the close games between superior teams. BB would prefer to win by a score or two but he can get his team to practice these things that they and the coaches will need in the close games of the playoffs....:D

AzPatsFan said:
Credit the Clock MISmanagement to the lack of practice or the lack of practice in maintaining POISE. When you run up the score to win by thirty, you never have to practice things like "clock management", or "POISE". it shows up in play selection too. Against the Steelers, the Colts had a FD and a very long FG try to tie. Instead of trying to get another ten yards by short passing or runs improving the chances, they threw it thirty yards into the endzone from the experiences of running up the score. They missed the long FG; end of game; end of end of Super bowl hopes; end of season.

It shows up too in the playoffs in the close games between superior teams. BB would prefer to win by a score or two but he can get his team to practice these things that they and the coaches will need in the close games of the playoffs....:D

Did you think about that before you typed it or did it just come out of your hate for the Colts? If you could win a game out right would you rather do that or leave it up to a kicker trying to make a long field goal to tie it?

With the Jets game, the Colts had no time outs, so you put the points on the board and hope to stop them if you need to. Like I posted before, the Jets' defense was not set when the Colts snapped the ball. They were moving and talking. Would it have been better to burn 10 more seconds and let them get their defense set?

BlitzFritz said:

i noticed it, and pointed it out to everyone at my house... it was terrible. absolutely terrible. teams should hire a clock-guy for $100K/year... another team also screwed it up at the end sunday... for the price of a bench player, you could have someone who actually adds value to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes