PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dungy Almost Done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, we are talking about a MySpace website.

Don't take it too seriously.

I have probably said a couple things online that I absolutely did not believe. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have.

Hey, if you want to be a jerk you can talk about anything you want, I'm just talking limits of decency.

No one asked you. Are you that guy that sets limits of decency for other people often? My guess is they find it annoying. Keegs brought up a good point. Just because it is not pc does not make it untrue.

Free speech , deal with it. Keegs was not insulting anyone. I love how half the posters on this board think they are mods.

Dungy is always telling people the right way to live there life. Being praised as a saint and a great man. You know what the media would say if Belichicks son took his own life? You know exactly what they would say.

Last edited:
Folks, we are talking about a MySpace website.

Don't take it too seriously.

I disagree. I think people are never more honest when they're a) drunk, or b) online. If there's a great disparity between how someone acts in person and online, I always gravitate towards the online persona because that tends to be the real them, freed from the shackles of societal mores.*

*Intentionally dramatic.

No one asked you. Are you that guy that sets limits of decency for other people often? My guess is they find it annoying. Keegs brought up a good point. Just because it is not pc does not make it untrue.

Free speech , deal with it. Keegs was not insulting anyone. I love how half the posters on this board think they are mods.

Dungy is always telling people the right way to live there life. Being praised as a saint and a great man. You know what the media would say if Belichicks son took his own life? You know exactly what they would say.
Doesn't free speech go both ways, ad nausiem? You know, it protects my right to say Keegs is a jerk, and it protects your right to say I'm a jerk, and it protects my right to say you're a jerk, and so it goes.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm a parent, so talking about someone's dead kid doesn't appeal to me all that much. I'm still not going to dictate what's off-limits, or, for that matter, decent.
Look, if I said something about your mother, you might feel it was off limits. Might not stop me from saying it, but it wouldn't be terribly decent of me. Obviously I have no power to enforce my view on decency, but that's how I feel.

Thank goodness you set everyone straight on what can and cannot be talked about.

Yeah...as an impartial poster I've noticed that Tony Dungy is fair game to be called anything on this board. I realize the main thing driving that is the media's constant fellating him and you guys i'm sure feel the need to counterbalnce that but still...his kids death should be waaaaaaaaay out of bounds, no matter what you think of him as a person. I'm not a Dungy fan..not even close..but sometimes people forget that even the worst rival possible is still only a rival on the football, and any hate towards him should be applied with that perspective in mind cause ultimately this is just a game and a form of entertainment, nothing more.

Last edited:

Personally, I get massive douche chills everytime I hear one of you a55holes pass judgment on someone you know only through the media, and bring his dead son into it, somehow speculating that you have insight into how he dealt with his tragedy.

In my mind, that's pretty much universally indecent and pathetic. But hey, carry on, I have no right to question your unflappable morals and argument tactics:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Personally, I get massive douche chills everytime I hear one of you a55holes pass judgment on someone you know only through the media, and bring his dead son into it, somehow speculating that you have insight into how he dealt with his tragedy.

In my mind, that's pretty much universally indecent and pathetic. But hey, carry on, I have no right to question your unflappable morals and argument tactics:rolleyes:

Oy, this topic is never going to go away is it? I'm responding because I don't think I'm immoral at all. I cried like a baby watching his son's funeral snippets. It's an unimaginable tragedy that nobody should have to suffer. I'm a parent, I can't imagine the living hell it must be.

However, I believe that he called his character into question by the events that happened after. For me, and I only speak for myself, I think he is very hypocritical. He tells people how they should live their life, so I think I can question some of his decisions. His son had attempted suicide a few months prior and given the Myspace profile, he was a deeply troubled young man. Yet he was left alone and to his own devices 2,000 miles away. I just don't know any parent that would do this. And this is the man who preaches life outside of football and family first? It's just odd.

Because of this tragedy he became more well known with the out pouring of support from non football fans as it was a national story. He was admired for how strong he was in handling the death. So he wrote a book. Essentially, he profited from the death of his son. Sorry, it doesn't sit well with me.

Then there's the whole anti-gay thing. I'm sorry, I can't respect a man who preaches this. I don't care about religious beliefs on this subject. Denegrating an entire portion of the population because of who they choose to share a life with? Just as bad as racism in my opinion. I base my opinions of people on a lot of different things, but it would never be because of their skin color or who they cuddle up to in bed. Everyone deserves someone to love.

I make a lot of jokes about how he is the creepy guy at the bar. But honestly, the man is just bizarre to me. I feel for his tragedy, I really do, but I can't support his decision making or his stance of being the judge on what is right and wrong.

Thanks I agree fully.

I disagree. I think people are never more honest when they're a) drunk, or b) online. If there's a great disparity between how someone acts in person and online, I always gravitate towards the online persona because that tends to be the real them, freed from the shackles of societal mores.*

*Intentionally dramatic.

My experience is exactly the opposite.

Don't ever use EHarmony.com. The sexy 21 year old with a beautiful curvaceous body may actually be, well, let's not go there.

Last edited:
Doesn't free speech go both ways, ad nausiem? You know, it protects my right to say Keegs is a jerk, and it protects your right to say I'm a jerk, and it protects my right to say you're a jerk, and so it goes.

i may be a jerk, but at least i don't act like Tony Dungy. He's a jerk that acts like he's the classiest thing since sliced bread and believes that everything he does is right.

And it's not like i only talk about Dungy or anything, here is an example of another thread that i created about relevant, insightful, football talk, that doesn't revolve around the Colts or Mr. Dungy.
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=73413

Well since you are a free speech advocate, I am sure you will understand when I say "YOU ARE IGNORANT!"

i may be a jerk, but at least i don't act like Tony Dungy. He's a jerk that acts like he's the classiest thing since sliced bread and believes that everything he does is right.

And it's not like i only talk about Dungy or anything, here is an example of another thread that i created about relevant, insightful, football talk, that doesn't revolve around the Colts or Mr. Dungy.
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=73413
I don't actually think you're a jerk, I'm sorry for how that came out. The point I was trying to make is that danny88's idea of "free speech" (whatever that really means on a privately owned messageboard) lets me give my opinion of another poster as much as it lets that poster have an opinion on Tony Dungy, or anyone else. To make a long story short, I was pointing out that I can call you a jerk all I want; I don't actually want to.

Last edited:
It's interesting (read: sad) to hear all the stuff that seems to get thrown Tony Dungy's way by the fans here

It seems to me that most of the holier than thou talk is from the fans who want to step on anyone they can for whatever reason they can. I guess I'm just tired of all the putdowns of a man that I find sincere and godly - putdowns that I expect are mostly from people who make different choices in their lives and are mostly buying into the hype instead of the reality of who Tony Dungy is. Kind of like many non-New England fans do with Bill Belichick.

So...Is Dungy almost done?

My sad little attempt to get this thread back on topic

It's interesting (read: sad) to hear all the stuff that seems to get thrown Tony Dungy's way by the fans here

It seems to me that most of the holier than thou talk is from the fans who want to step on anyone they can for whatever reason they can. I guess I'm just tired of all the putdowns of a man that I find sincere and godly - putdowns that I expect are mostly from people who make different choices in their lives and are mostly buying into the hype instead of the reality of who Tony Dungy is. Kind of like many non-New England fans do with Bill Belichick.

There is a small difference. I perfectly understand why people feel the way they do about BB. Don't question it at all. So why is it so hard to understand why everyone doesn't feel the same way you do about Dungy?

Some people also like President Bush. Me? His term can't end quick enough. Everybody likes different things, different people.

If it makes you feel any better BB's been called Hitler, OJ etc...by Colts fans. Somehow I think that's worse than the names he's been called here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes