PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dumervil going to Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was definitely hurting, that's for sure. He plays too many snaps, imo. And last year we had absolutely horrible NTs in Kemoeatu and Cody, so Ngata would get doubled every play and tripled on a bunch of plays.

He did have some half-joking, half-serious comment about how he would retire before playing to the point where his long term health was jeopardized (though he seemed to be talking about knees, etc, not concussions, but who knows). But I think that was just talk.

He will play this year, after that who knows, his salary cap hits for 2014 and 2015 are such that another injury-riddled year might mean his release. Then again, I am hoping they dial down his snaps this year to something more manageable. I don't know how Wilfork does it. Like Ngata, he plays such a high percentage of snaps, it is insane; and he is none the worse for wear, unlike Ngata at this point.

Is Cody a bust?

Still don't know if Flacco is all that great. He played well in thr playoffs, but he still is not a great QB.

Oh, yeah right. Like Flacco is even remotely comparable to Boeller.

He was definitely hurting, that's for sure. He plays too many snaps, imo. And last year we had absolutely horrible NTs in Kemoeatu and Cody, so Ngata would get doubled every play and tripled on a bunch of plays.

He did have some half-joking, half-serious comment about how he would retire before playing to the point where his long term health was jeopardized (though he seemed to be talking about knees, etc, not concussions, but who knows). But I think that was just talk.

He will play this year, after that who knows, his salary cap hits for 2014 and 2015 are such that another injury-riddled year might mean his release. Then again, I am hoping they dial down his snaps this year to something more manageable. I don't know how Wilfork does it. Like Ngata, he plays such a high percentage of snaps, it is insane; and he is none the worse for wear, unlike Ngata at this point.

Appreciate your football viewpoint on your champs

Thanks. As for Wilfork, he has slimmed down some over the years and he doesn't have as much wear as you'd think, as this 3 down role he plays now is a recent (last 2-3 years) thing.

One of the interesting things about Wilforks game though is that as NT he often slacks off... Which sounds like an indictment but really isn't. If you're being triple teamed there's no point in going 100%. You've accomplished your task.

But when teams single him or in effectively double him he comes alive. Interestingly this last year he's taken a page out of Watt's book and when he 'gives up' immediately post snap when he recognizes he's not going to get anywhere he puts his hands up.

Still don't know if Flacco is all that great. He played well in thr playoffs, but he still is not a great QB.

He is better than Boller, though that is saying exactly nothing.

I don't know how good he is either, but next year should make it easier to determine.

It is impossible to overstate how much Cam Cameron's pedestrian offensive philosophy and playcalling hurt our performance. The offense looked a lot better as soon as he was gone. Then again, at the same time, we had Ray Lewis's retirement tour starting and all its extra motivation. We also started Bryant McKinnie and juggled our OL at that time. All three things combined to make our offense look head and heels better than the first 15 weeks of the season, but it is hard to know how much each factor was responsible for the improvement.

I think that Flacco is pretty damn good when he has a lot of time. Obviously all QBs are better with time than without, but Flacco's jump in performance with a lot of time from average time is larger than average, imo. Of course, imo, Flacco is worse than average when he doesn't have much time. His fall off when rushed or confused, etc, is greater than any good QB and pretty steep. If things are easy mentally for him, he looks good; if not, he can look simply awful.

Thanks. As for Wilfork, he has slimmed down some over the years and he doesn't have as much wear as you'd think, as this 3 down role he plays now is a recent (last 2-3 years) thing.

One of the interesting things about Wilforks game though is that as NT he often slacks off... Which sounds like an indictment but really isn't. If you're being triple teamed there's no point in going 100%. You've accomplished your task.

But when teams single him or in effectively double him he comes alive. Interestingly this last year he's taken a page out of Watt's book and when he 'gives up' immediately post snap when he recognizes he's not going to get anywhere he puts his hands up.

and Wilfy has an interesting way to aerobically condition himself off season without wearing out his joints like many over 300LB guys, he swims laps.
Namu!

Is Cody a bust?

Yes. I think so. I suppose he could still turn things around, but I don't see him playing many snaps this year. His technique is poor. He doesn't just give up ground (i.e. lack some strength or leverage), he gets knocked down often and way too easily, like his balance is off. The number of snaps where he is on the ground within 1 second is astounding. He was a large reason why our up the middle run defense was so bad last year. That and Ray Lewis being way way slow and seemingly weak as well (would get dragged for multiple yards every tackle, if he even could make the tackle).

I like it. With this move, this defense is going to become like Denver's. They'll have a scary pass rush, but we'll be able to thrash them up the middle with Ridley and the TE's. :D

I like it. With this move, this defense is going to become like Denver's. They'll have a scary pass rush, but we'll be able to thrash them up the middle with Ridley and the TE's. :D

Another thing to like if you aren't a Ravens fan is the fact that the first time we won a Superbowl, we signed a free agent 'Elvis,' then had our starting RB blow out his knee before the season started, barely made the playoffs, and lost in the divisional round.

And yet...here we are signing another post-title free agent 'Elvis.' :eek:

Excellent signing for the Ravens, and at a value price, unless Dumervil hits all sorts of incentives. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Some comments on the comments:

1. Did anyone REALLY think that BB was going to spend serious money to pick up a one dimensional player who was a liability against the run???? Not even for the deflated dollars that he eventually signed for. Not even if he was a proven pass rusher (sorry Andy)

2. This is anecdotal but, when was the last time anyone can remember a Denver game when Dummerville got close to Brady. IIRC it was Von Miller who was the guy who applied the serious pressure in the last 3 games where the Pats dissected the Denver with little effort.

3. Think about it, the Ravens just gave a deal that had over 26MM in real money to a 5'11 260 lb outside rusher who who relies on speed and leverage....and will be 30 before the season ends. Hard to think that Ozzie structured that deal that he doesn't have an out in 2-3 years

4. While he certainly helps the Ravens situation, he is just one of several holes the Ravens have to fill and he was an expensive one. Remember next season, Flacco's cap number more than doubles and the year after than quadruples. Now you can add Dummerville's ever expanding cap number to the mix. You always want to be strong up the middle and right now, outside of Ngata, the Raven's defensive middle is missing.

5. Back loaded deals are fine for the first year or two, but eventually the bill has to be paid. We saw it with the Jets and now with the Ravens.

6. Nagata Troublemaker seems like an informed and reasonable Ravens fan. I hope he comes back often when we talk about Ravens related topics...or anything else for that matter.

7. On the plus side for the Ravens, they have a lot of picks in a deep draft for DT's, WR's and S's. Perhaps Ozzie is relying on his draft to provide him with a lot help. Don't forget we had 4 rookies who played significant time on our D. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ravens have to do the same.

2. This is anecdotal but, when was the last time anyone can remember a Denver game when Dummerville got close to Brady. IIRC it was Von Miller who was the guy who applied the serious pressure in the last 3 games where the Pats dissected the Denver with little effort.

Dumervil's career highlight was a monster sack on Tom two years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKw5cgsBGh4

well, there was this time he got a little piece of him...

Elvis Dumervil vs Tom Brady QUARTERBACK SACK - YouTube

oops--Doc beat me to it. But, yeah, the Patriots don't have anything like that coming off the edge.

Oh, yeah right. Like Flacco is even remotely comparable to Boeller.

Never said he is Boeller, but I don't think he is a QB who can carry a team if they have holes elsewhere. He isn't a QB who makes average WR great and mediocre receivers good.

Du erville has been living off that sack....

Seriously. Game was 34-16 at that point and he went completely unblocked. If someone from the Pats was to get a sack like that on Manning it would be completely forgotten about a week later.

I might have more respect for that sack if someone on the line actually engaged Dumervil and he beat them.

Um. Before anyone gets carried away with laughing at the Ravens, for this deal...maybe you should do some research...they protected themselves with this deal, and he only counts as a 2.5 mill. Cap hit this year.

It's being termed as a "steal of a deal" for them.

If we pay an aged abraham, or freeney close to that it's an epic fail (2.5 cap hit this year).

Base value of 5 years, for 26 million is a steal....that's what they got him for.

Um. Before anyone gets carried away with laughing at the Ravens, for this deal...maybe you should do some research...they protected themselves with this deal, and he only counts as a 2.5 mill. Cap hit this year.

It's being termed as a "steal of a deal" for them.

If we pay an aged abraham, or freeney close to that it's an epic fail (2.5 cap hit this year).

It is great for them this year. If Dumervil ends up being a bust though, they are stuck with him though. Assuming he lives up to expectations, it is a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back