PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dude, please please please stay healthy...Ras I at camp story

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just a matter of health, there is still questions if Dowling is any good at all. I'll eat crow if he beats out Dennard to start, but the odds of that are very slim.

In the three games Dowling was healthy last year, why was he behind Sterling Moore on the depth chart? In those games, Dowling was relegated to dimeback, and with the limited snaps he played at dimeback, he looked stiff as hell.

Now, someone needs to explain to me how this guy is supposedly "great when healthy" when he was below Arrington and Moore for outside CB duties. I think that says it all.

It's not just a matter of health, there is still questions if Dowling is any good at all. I'll eat crow if he beats out Dennard to start, but the odds of that are very slim.

In the three games Dowling was healthy last year, why was he behind Sterling Moore on the depth chart? In those games, Dowling was relegated to dimeback, and with the limited snaps he played at dimeback, he looked stiff as hell.

Now, someone needs to explain to me how this guy is supposedly "great when healthy" when he was below Arrington and Moore for outside CB duties. I think that says it all.

Sure there were reports as far back as TC last year saying he was still struggling with his hip, hence the stiffness.

If he's 100% healthy it will explain why he's looking good - if you can remember back to his rookie year and how he did against Miami after that game people on here were ready to crown him the next great CB :p

For those that forgot, and nobody would blame you, here's a reminder of who Ras I Dowling is and what he brings to the table. Please stay healthy:

Ras-I Dowling - YouTube

Hard to watch that and not root for this guy to step up and have a great career. Humility, work ethic, talent.

He started talking about Jesus in a way that I wish more Christians would embrace, too.

Yeah, I'm now a fan.

Based upon what? He certainly didn't show that much talent when he played last year. Bedard kept saying how he looked tight and other such things and he wasn't injured at the time as far as I know.

Which is to be expected from someone who is recovering from a hip injury.

And it's based on his skillset as a prospect. Obviously all potential, which is why I said potentially.

Because, as a bunch of people have noted, he was recovering from a hip injury.

I think it's pretty clear how the coaching staff feels about him when he's healthy; his rookie season he was a starter as soon as he walked on the field.

If I-Dowling and Dennard can win the 2nd and 3rd CB spots and turn Arrington into the 4th man on the depth chart then they are going to have a very very good secondary.

It is too soon to dare hope, but still, it is an inkling of a dream of a dominate and suffocating defense augmented by a hall of fame quarterback and a running game that teams must fear.

No, it isn't too soon to date hope. That's what this time of year is for! This is when fans see stars in their eyes, amazing depth and talent, and a glorious path to a fantastic season.

When TC rolls on and the injuries start to mount, then we can be realists. But there's no point in being a fan if you can't have an abundance of optimism at this stage. Otherwise, we should just go root for a perennial loser.

Because, as a bunch of people have noted, he was recovering from a hip injury.

I think it's pretty clear how the coaching staff feels about him when he's healthy; his rookie season he was a starter as soon as he walked on the field.

Why play him at all as a dimeback if he's injured though?

Im very skeptical of Dowling's ability, but hope to be surprised this year.

Heres hoping the Shawn Crable of the secondary turns it around.

I dunno if that's fair. With Crable, the issue was two-fold: he couldn't get or stay on the field, and on the rare occasions that he did he wasn't any good. Dowling, at least, has looked good at the rare times that he has played.

I don't think it matters these days, WHO the "starter" is. Its all about the packages and the packages are determined by who the competition is week to week. If we play a team like the Giants who will likely have 2 very tall wide outs and a jitterbug in the slot, a Talib, Dowling combination would probably be more suitable. OTOH playing the Ravens with Torry Smith, might mean that Dennard would be a better match up. Who knows?

But the point is, that for the first time in years, Patricia will have that OPTION....and having that option will make us a much more effective defense at every other position.

Exactly. FWIW, I think that a large part of the reason why the Pats traded for Talib last year was because he offers what they were hoping to get out of Dowling: a physical press corner with the size and speed to single cover the opponent's most physical receiver.

In that respect, I'd be ecstatic if Dowling can just be Talib's backup. The guy who makes it so that, when Talib most likely misses some time with a hamstring or hip ailment, the wheels don't fall off the entire defense again.

I dunno if that's fair. With Crable, the issue was two-fold: he couldn't get or stay on the field, and on the rare occasions that he did he wasn't any good. Dowling, at least, has looked good at the rare times that he has played.

My man, The Crab, had a couple good series one summer camp and that was it. Major problem was his chicken legs. I'm no talent scout but I'd never draft guys with obvious essential physical deficiencies like The Crab's chicken legs or that dwarf corner back with the big head and chicken legs whose name shall not be mentioned.

I can't wait to see if Dowling can stay on the field and perform. I really hope he does because we haven't gotten to see it yet. This was a guy who was an easy top 20 pick...but injuries scared teams. Definitely a talent.

And we definitely have LOTS of talent and depth in the secondary. But how will it translate? And now that we have depth in the secondary, we are thin at DL (in terms of big bodies). We don;t know what Kelly is going to give us, and one injury to Vince and we are really, really screwed. I fear that teams may be able to run on us this year even with Vince and Kelly, barring some kind of acquisition.

Ras-I will surprise a lot of people that wrote him off this season as long as he remains healthy. A player with that type rare talent shouldn't be given up just yet.

And we definitely have LOTS of talent and depth in the secondary. But how will it translate? And now that we have depth in the secondary, we are thin at DL (in terms of big bodies). We don;t know what Kelly is going to give us, and one injury to Vince and we are really, really screwed. I fear that teams may be able to run on us this year even with Vince and Kelly, barring some kind of acquisition.
Teams were able to run on them last season as well, especially down the stretch and in the playoffs (AFCCG painfully reminds us of that). The run defense started out hot last season but faded a lot down the stretch and that was with all those "big bodies" you referred to.

The LB corps as it stands is very good against as the run, so in some ways they're giving up beef upfront for more speed and athleticism to get after the QB more effectively. In today's NFL it is better to be good against the pass and average against the run than the other way around. Everything the Patriots have done this offseason confirms that they agree with that too.

So, strictly going on talent, the Pats could have 4 CB's who are better than anything we've seen over the last 8 years.

You might want to rephrase that; it reads like you're saying all 4 are better than rookie Pro Bowler McCourty.

Can we just keep Rasi in a bubble until the playoffs?

From his signature
Last time I lived in New England the Pats became a Dynasty

Then I moved away and they haven't won since

...now I'm moving back, and a Lombardi I predict

If they do, I will donate to a Pats Fans fund to keep ALP in New England.:)

Can we just keep Rasi in a bubble until the playoffs?
Cmon Fence. Give me a break. You know what I mean. The point is that going into TC the Pats have 4 CB's who have starting talent. We have 2 CB's over 6'. We have more talent, depth and position flexibility than we've had in a lot of years. PLUS we drafted a rookie in the 3rd round that a lot of "experts" thought was a great value. I can't remember a time where the CB position was so well stocked.

There may be several teams who will have 2 better "starters" than we have, but (IF Dowling remains healthy) I don't think there will be that many whose talent goes 5 deep (IF Logan Ryan is as good as they say) Even if Dowling gets hurt again and Ryan busts, our top 3 CB's will still be better than we've seen in many years HERE.

My key point isn't really about how good the CB's are, but what that MEANS to the defense as a whole. Good CB play along with improved S play will allow the Pats to much more creative and aggressive in the front 7. More creativity and aggres session means a better pass rush, a better 3rd down percentage, a better TOP percentage, and fewer points.

It also means that Andy will be happier with the pass rush, and I will be happier seeing more creativity

I think that particular gawd has an unfortunate habit of smirking upon us. Pretty much every year in the BB era. SMiling would be a nice change of pace.

Hence my prayer. I'm offering a burnt sacrifice right now. remember when artrell Hawkins was a gawd send? ouch.

You might want to rephrase that; it reads like you're saying all 4 are better than rookie Pro Bowler McCourty.

McCourty appears to me to be a one year wonder at CB .....after his first year,teams found a way to throw in his direction and with success.

McCourty is better suited as a Safety ... He has played well there and that position appears to be where he feels most comfortable at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back