PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Duane Starks, Earthwind Moreland, Hank Poteat.... Kyle Arrington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Secondary is having a tough time because we can't generate a pass rush at all. Butler had some mistakes today, both in run D and pass coverage, he is having a tough 2nd season. Page whiffed on an opened field tackle as did Sanders. Arrington didn't look bad nor did he stand out but he was better than Butler so he has that going for him. Wilhite just stinks and is always playing catch up. Merriweather had a brain fart on the TD to Spiller as he took the worst possible angle. Chung didn't give McCourtey the over the top help on his TD pass. Bottomline this D is going to be inconsistent all year until the following is achieved:
1) Consistent pass rush
2) Experience

I swear we didn't watch the same game. Do you even know what number Arrington is? Butler?

I swear we didn't watch the same game. Do you even know what number Arrington is? Butler?

27 and 28 respectively and yes Arrington had a better game than Butler even though neither was anything to write home about. Butler was in there for 1 set of downs where he did nothing right including cutting up field on a run play that went right by him. The announcers even showed it after the play.

Bottom line Butler had another horrible game.

27 and 28 respectively and yes Arrington had a better game than Butler even though neither was anything to write home about. Butler was in there for 1 set of downs where he did nothing right including cutting up field on a run play that went right by him. The announcers even showed it after the play.

Bottom line Butler had another horrible game.

I can only conclude that some people are going wayb out of their way to make the plays fit the pattern. I saw Butler give up a short out for about 5 yards, and he was well off the line. That's it.

Aarington got burned badly a few times. I have no idea what you're seeing. I was one of the people that said Butler had a bad game last week because he wasn't reading the WRs body lean right. Arrington wasn't even in the same zip code, county or state?

You missed a big run play where 28 took way too deep angle on a slant into the backfield and the RB ran thru wherr he'd vacated completely untouched for a big gain. A mental error by Butler.

One of these days BB will get the message that the league is not the same, WR's are taller, faster, and bigger, and the days of the small CB are fading away, fast.

Right because no other NFL teams have coners that are 5'8" or 5'9" :rolleyes:

I'd say

1. Moreland
2. Poteat
3.-4. Starks/Arrington

Let's not forget Otis "My Man" Smith. He should be at 2,followed by Poteat. Starks and Arrington have very little humor value.

Oh, this wasn't pick the funniest name?

Seriously, Arrington is obviously a ST ace but JAG at CB. Maybe worse. Butler needs to get his confidence up and maybe that's why he's getting a break.

Nice to see us being toasted all game. Now he can join the long list of "Cover Corners" we've had down the years.

There's a few problems with your claim..

First is that Arrington played very well today.
Second is that Arrington wasn't toasted any more than any of the other DBs. In fact, if you are going to harp on Arrington, you need to harp on McCourty (who was the one beat by Steven Johnson on at least 3 occasions) and on Meriweather ( who was beat by Pats TE cast-off Stupar at least twice).

Arrington wasn't asked to be a "Cover Corner" and neither were Earthwind Moreland or Hank Poteat. That is just you talking foolishness.

Just another in a long list for you.

Really? His ST play sucked. And sucks when he's not on the first team D.

He was toasted by the Bills recievers. Thats the Bills recievers. I'd have given him a break had it been well.... nigh on any other WR corps. But the Bills !!!! ??? !!! Roscoe Parrish and Lee Evans (who took in in turns to line up on him) looked like V-Jax and Roddy White FFS.

Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish are two very good receivers. It's foolishness on your part to claim otherwise. And Steven Johnson is pretty good as well. The Bills problem was at QB prior to them starting Fitzpatrick.

Arrington's special teams play was actually very good when he wasn't being blocked in the back. But you wouldn't understand that.

Terrible post. Arrington isn't even close to starter-caliber, we already knew that. And you didn't even mention Deltha O'Neal.

I can only conclude that some people are going wayb out of their way to make the plays fit the pattern. I saw Butler give up a short out for about 5 yards, and he was well off the line. That's it.

Aarington got burned badly a few times. I have no idea what you're seeing. I was one of the people that said Butler had a bad game last week because he wasn't reading the WRs body lean right. Arrington wasn't even in the same zip code, county or state?

I guess the reporter at the Globe was watching the same game I was which apparently wasn't the game you were watching........

SHAKING DOWN

CB Darius Butler: His third straight week here, but this time for a different reason. Stripped of his starting job, Butler came in late in the middle of the second quarter. Parrish beat him for 9 yards on a second-and-5 to start. Two plays later, C.J. Spiller dusted him on the perimeter, then shot upfield for 19 yards. Following that one, Butler was promptly yanked by the coaches. Should be interesting to see what becomes of him in Miami.

btw Arrington not even mentioned in the article.

Last edited:
Truthfully, I wouldn't consider benching to be a confidence builder.

Hey kid, we aint gonna use you any more cause we wanna build your confidence. Hmmmm.

Or, we're giving you a break while you look at film 24-7 to figure out what you're doing wrong, and to stop you from getting burned more.

I guess the reporter at the Globe was watching the same game I was which apparently wasn't the game you were watching........

SHAKING DOWN

CB Darius Butler: His third straight week here, but this time for a different reason. Stripped of his starting job, Butler came in late in the middle of the second quarter. Parrish beat him for 9 yards on a second-and-5 to start. Two plays later, C.J. Spiller dusted him on the perimeter, then shot upfield for 19 yards. Following that one, Butler was promptly yanked by the coaches. Should be interesting to see what becomes of him in Miami.

btw Arrington not even mentioned in the article.

If I cared what reporters had to say, I wouldn't be on this board. If you want your eyes opened, read the gamethread. Read what people were saying. Some of those Bills WRs were wide open yesterday because there was absolutely no one in their zip code. A CB getting beat by Spiller on the perimeter? You think that is significant? If Spiller gets out to the perimeter, he'll be doing that to 99.9% of the CBs in the league. No surprise there.

If I cared what reporters had to say, I wouldn't be on this board. If you want your eyes opened, read the gamethread. Read what people were saying. Some of those Bills WRs were wide open yesterday because there was absolutely no one in their zip code. A CB getting beat by Spiller on the perimeter? You think that is significant? If Spiller gets out to the perimeter, he'll be doing that to 99.9% of the CBs in the league. No surprise there.

I think Butler and Merriweather were both criticized for bad angles on CJ Spiller (not talking about the TD) and it more likely was Spiller's speed as noted above that caused the miss.

Actually at this point I begin to wonder if Earthwind is available.;)

heh, no I actually care what BB and his coaches said, and they said it all when they benched the kid. Speaks volumes as compared to anyone on this thread or in the media.

You want to keep thinking Butler hasn't had a horrible season until now, go right ahead, BB and the coaches apparently think otherwise as I agree with them.

As for the opened WR's how many times was that when Wilhite was covering talk about not being in the same zip code its a wonder that guy is even in the same state.

Last edited:
heh, no I actually care what BB and his coaches said, and they said it all when they benched the kid. Speaks volumes as compared to anyone on this thread or in the media.

You want to keep thinking Butler hasn't had a horrible season until now, go right ahead, BB and the coaches apparently think otherwise as I agree with them.

As for the opened WR's how many times was that when Wilhite was covering talk about not being in the same zip code its a wonder that guy is even in the same state.

Read the threads, I've been critiquing Butler from the point of view of his technical deficiences. That being said, he has NEVER been as bad as Arrington was yesterday. Butler has stayed with WRs and made technical errors that allowed the big catch. What I saw yesterday from Arrington was the most frightening thing I've seen from our CBs in ages. I mean, he totally and completely lost WRs.

Let's not argue, and let's leave it at this: what did you see when those WRs made those plays downfield on the left side? How would you account for what Arrington was doing?

I agree with Belichick benching Butler, by the way. He needs to regain his confidence somehow. But what I saw yesterday told me that Arrington was absolutely not the answer. Right now, it's Wheatley or Butler. That's all we got. It simply isn't Arrington.

Read the threads, I've been critiquing Butler from the point of view of his technical deficiences. That being said, he has NEVER been as bad as Arrington was yesterday. Butler has stayed with WRs and made technical errors that allowed the big catch. What I saw yesterday from Arrington was the most frightening thing I've seen from our CBs in ages. I mean, he totally and completely lost WRs.

Let's not argue, and let's leave it at this: what did you see when those WRs made those plays downfield on the left side? How would you account for what Arrington was doing?

I agree with Belichick benching Butler, by the way. He needs to regain his confidence somehow. But what I saw yesterday told me that Arrington was absolutely not the answer. Right now, it's Wheatley or Butler. That's all we got. It simply isn't Arrington.

I will agree Arrington wasn't the second coming of Ty Law yesterday, but it was his first start. Butler has started and played in games for 2 years now and looks no better than Arrington and in some cases a whole lot worse. I don't think either is the answer but I am willing to let Arrington start 2 or 3 games to get his legs under him.

I will agree Arrington wasn't the second coming of Ty Law yesterday, but it was his first start. Butler has started and played in games for 2 years now and looks no better than Arrington and in some cases a whole lot worse. I don't think either is the answer but I am willing to let Arrington start 2 or 3 games to get his legs under him.

We just disagree on what we see out there. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back