Welcome to PatsFans.com

Drugged Warriors

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Leave No Doubt, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I've made posts in the past about this and now that Counterpunch has finally chosen to address it I'll make a thread about it once again :p

This article merely touches upon the deeper reality of exactly what's going on within our military. There are the boots on the ground then there's Military, Inc. and the job of Military Inc. is to keep it all rolling and there's no possible way that can be done without what's described in this article and what's described in the others.

Bruce E. Levine: Drugged Warriors

Military suicides increase as U.S. soldiers struggle with torment of war | - NJ.com

LEADING CAUSE OF MEDICAL EVACUATION OUT OF WAR ZONES: IT?S NOT COMBAT INJURY ~ THE GUNNY "G" BLOGS ~

http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/c2010/cbarchive_20100205.html

The Few, the Proud, the High School Students by Laurence M. Vance

msnbc.com Video Player

Basic Training DVD, View All , HISTORY Shop

YouTube - Biological Warfare against soldiers?

Secret Vaccination Given to Marine Nearly Kills Him Speak Truth 2 Power

Not to mention the series Salon ran awhile back about the medicated military.

Look at all these then think about them in terms of the bigger picture.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Another side effect of war.. and a reason why we should try peace for change.

this coupled with the military division of the Tea Party, the "oath keepers", are concerning..
  3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

These guys had to be drugged... more "collateral" damage..

U.S. Admits Role in February Killing of Afghan Women - NYTimes.com

KABUL, Afghanistan — After initially denying involvement or any cover-up in the deaths of three Afghan women during a badly bungled American Special Operations assault in February, the American-led military command in Kabul admitted late on Sunday that its forces had, in fact, killed the women during the nighttime raid.

The admission immediately raised questions about what really happened during the Feb. 12 operation — and what falsehoods followed — including a new report that Special Operations forces dug bullets out of the bodies of the women to hide the true nature of their deaths.

A NATO official also said Sunday in an interview that an Afghan-led team of investigators had found signs of evidence tampering at the scene, including the removal of bullets from walls near where the women were killed. A senior NATO official later denied on Monday that any evidence tampering occurred.
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

It would be good to keep in mind that the usage of drugs such as anti-depressants, anti-anxiety meds, anti-psychotics and drugs used to treat ADHD have also skyrocketed in the general population in the last 10 years, as well.

It's much more common now then it was 10 or 15 years ago to prescribe such drugs for everyone - military personnel included. Heck, half of the drugs weren't even available 10 or 15 years ago.

It's a combination of better diagnosis, quicker treatment and the availability of safer drugs for mental/nervous symptoms and diseases.

Let's also not forget that a huge number of returning Viet Nam vets came home with drug problems, too.

About 6 percent of people were prescribed an antidepressant in 1996 -- 13 million people. This rose to more than 10 percent or 27 million people by 2005, the researchers found.

Antidepressant use doubles in U.S., study finds | Reuters

Antipsychotics are among the biggest selling and most profitable of all drugs, generating $22 billion in global sales in 2008.[9] By 2003 in the US, an estimated 3.21 million patients received antipsychotics, worth an estimated $2.82 billion. Over 2/3 of prescriptions were for the newer more expensive atypicals, each costing on average $164 compared to $40 for the older types.[10] By 2008, sales in the US reached $14.6 billion, the biggest selling drugs in the US by therapeutic class.[11] The number of prescriptions for children and adolescents doubled to 4.4 million between 2003 and 2006, in part because of increases in diagnoses of bipolar disorder

Antipsychotic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The benzodiazepine family of drugs includes ativan, azene, centrax, clonopin, dalmane, halcion, librium, paxipam, restoril, serax, valium, xanax, etc. They are among the most routinely prescribed medications in our society, used to treat chronic anxiety in millions of people.

Of the more than 30 million people who take these drugs, more than four million are addicted. Dr. Edward H. Drummond offers hope with a program for overcoming chronic anxiety without the use of tranquilizers.

Xanax (Alprazolam) Information

Prevalence rates for ADHD in adults are not as well determined as rates for children, but fall in the 1% to 5% range.

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in Adults - WebMD
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Just me again....your friendly early morning statistician.

Considering that 1 in 4 American citizens over 18 are considered to be suffering from a diagnosable mental disorder in any given year (and half of those are medically diagnosable with two distinct disorders concurrently) it would be foolish to think that the stats in the military would be any different. Given what they experience I'd say their numbers would be expected to be even higher for diseases such as PTSD, anxiety and depression.

NIMH · The Numbers Count: Mental Disorders in America

That's the bigger picture.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

Where did the "Bush Hating Anti War People Go"

Is Susan Sarandon in a coma.............:confused:

God Damn Bush
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

...and I'd like to point out the possibility that the definition of "suffering from a diagnosable mental disorder " has been expanded to enhance the profits of drug companies. Doctors are right down there with street-level pushers, IMO. This can be traced back to two events: (1)The day they allowed doctors to receive and distribute free samples of psychotropic drugs from travelling salesmen (mid-level drug distributors) and (2) the day the corporate government removed the ban on TV advertisement for those (and other) prescription drugs.

The reason our culture has been faltering and no one cares is because we have been told that there's something wrong with us if we don't conform with the "middle" or "mainstream". This is why we are stuck with standardized crap and centrist leaders. Between eliminating interesting, talented, free-thinking people from the population, and addiction to TV and other electronic communication devices, our culture is physically isolated, programmed to do what you're told, and unable to think outside of the box. generally speaking. 20 years ago, there were no cell phones, laptops, iPhones, iPads, chat rooms, e-Harmony, or elementary schoolboys on Ritalin.

Brace yourself, grownups. When this generation comes of age (and they are right now) this society will be in some deep crap.
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

Stop The Wars
    Bring The Troops Home
    No More Caskets
    War Is Hell
    Close Gitmo
    Obama Is A War Monger
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I know one guy in Maine who says he cannot work because he has ADHD and claims as long as he makes $50a day mowing lawns and odd jobs he and his family can live well..

I know another retired firefighter, who is an excellent woodworker, who takes meds for his ADHD.. he is 66 years old.

If anyone searches the DSM IV they can find a diagnosis that fits and an excuse for just about anything you do.. suck it up folks.
  10. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I posted a story awhile back about a soldier who'd run out of his Klonopin, a drug that's apparently bad news if stopped suddenly. His bad news began while on the battlefield unfortunately. That situation's not apt to happen to your average medicated citizen who can drive thru a CVS and fill 'er up as needed, or just click their mouse. There's really no comparison.

That aside, men and women are being redeployed despite the fact they shouldn't be and actually fail the pretesting yet are getting pushed through anyway, including soldiers who are on not just one but 2, even 3, antipsychotics. And their access is not guaranteed.

I've said this before- as the wars go on (and they show no signs of stopping) we'll keep demanding troops and the more troops we send the more traumatized, heavily medicated people we create. Pretty ugly (big) picture but that's just me.

It's not just the medicating, it's the large increase in rapes (within the military itself as well as overseas btw). The military's recruiting gang members, prisoners, private mercenary armies; indeed this is not your father's army anymore and as war escalates and grows globally, this stuff won't end either. If you thought we were hated before I don't see us getting magilla love now, but again that's just me.

With everything else going on in this country it's perfectly reasonable to put all our wars furthur back on the shelf of concerns but that's not the same as excusing it all once you do pull it down off the shelf.

I think it's 14 billion a year to guard the poppy fields in Afghanistan but the acres and acres of poppy fields are another story.
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

And your problem with this is???? Is his family on welfare? Are they living in public housing? Does he take medication? There's a thousand questions that would need answering before this would become a bad thing, DarrylS.

Again, so what? Sounds like he was a productive member of society -sounds like he still is, in fact. Why shouldn't he take medication for ADHD if he has it? Why shouldn't anyone?

Suck it up, folks??? Would you tell that to a diabetic or an asthmatic?

If you're saying that America is overmedicated, sure, yeah, they are - I'm not about to argue that one with you. But if you're saying everyone with a mental illness or disease needs to "suck it up" and quit using their illness as an excuse that's just plain wrong. There are some very real problems out there, DarrylS - hurful ones, life-altering ones. There are people who function just fine with their medications and their doctor's support who would otherwise be institutionalized, unemployable, suicidal and just plain dead without them.

My son takes ritalin for ADHD - undiagnosed until recently. The change in his personality is unbelievable. It's like two different people. It wasn't something he could "suck up," although, to his credit, he tried to do just that for years - there's a chemical imbalance in the brain sometimes that just doesn't heal itself no matter how hard a person wants to think it will or thinks he can will it to.

Yes, we all have to help ourselves, but there's nothing wrong with occasionally needing help doing so. Sometimes psychotrophic drugs are a lifesaver - literally.
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Your son is not 66... personally both of my examples use their ADHD as a crutch to excuse their behavior .. sometimes you do have to suck it up, and meds are not always the answer.. and for them a very vague term like ADHD is convenient, and a poor excuse... even when they are on the meds they still use their ADHD as an excuse.. in other words the diagnosis is probably faulty..

Anyday of the week I could go to a regular MD and talk about certain symptons and walk away with a diagnosis, complete with a myriad of prescriptions.. the point being is that some folks get diagnosed innapropriately, get medicated and then use the faulty diagnosis for excusing their behavior..

This thread was about overmedicating troops, and my point is in a "Dr. Feelgood" society, not everything warrants prescriptions..
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Came across this self diagnostic tool today on the WSJ.. so now someone can take the test, and come up ADHD and then be able to excuse their behavior..

Of course it qualifies that this should be done by a MH professional, but how reads the small print.

Adult ADHD - Wall Street Journal
  14. elway7

elway7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Just took the test! Crap I have ADHD! Now what!
  15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

My Jersey:

As an FYI elway, I'm ADHD. I don't and would not ever take any medication for it like big pharma would want...nope, I just let those around me suffer cuz I'm more important. Hell 25% of the damn population is adhd (now watch mrsp run the get the REAL facts!)

Anyway....how you been? I hope things are going well with you. As you've said to me before....I mean that sincerely.
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Means nothing. Most men would come up with ADHD. It's the way we are and some people don't want us to be like we are genetically. Women and men have very different brain structure. It is not an accident that the vast majority of kids diagnosed with ADHD are boys. To those without ADHD, we look like we can't concentrate or are impulsive or whatever. Truth is that we need people like this. Many artists are ADHD. Many creative thinkers are ADHD as are most tradesmen and others who can and need to work independently. That's how construction used to get done and now, of course, we can't seem to get anything done on time and under budget. Correcting ADHD is not the solution. It's society that is changing around us and we're (Many men) suddenly defective or "chemically imbalanced" as if everyone should have the same brain chemistry and process the same way.....

My problem with the absurd rate of diagnosis and treatment is that it is becoming more and more compulsory rather than elective. The pressure to conform neurologically is great at the school level. Ritalin acts very much like cocaine in the brain, and many get addicted to its effects because brain function is structurally altered. I have a problem giving children such a powerful psychotropic drug that they will need forever, but I doubt the pharma corporations mind.

...what was the question, again?
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

My Jersey:

I agree with much of what you're saying here wistah. I was "officially" diagnosed with adhd. I took a series of tests from a neurologist about 5 years ago at the urging of my siblings.

As a child, I could't sit still and could never a finish a board game with my family. I got into a lot of fights early on in school and my parents were always told I could't/worldn't sit still in class. But I got excellent grades...and just like you said, I was artistic as well.

Getting back to my recent diagnosis...the doctor originally put me on some medication where I pee'd like an old man. It would take forever and then, when I thought I was finished, I'd get a stain going down my leg. I stopped taking it immediately.

I've gotten by pretty well in life with or without prescription drugs...so I choose without. If I had a heart or diabetes problem, of course I may react differently. I think some prolly have worse symptoms than I do and I also understand why they may choose to medicate themselves.

One final note regarding adhd is that most who have it are not affected by caffiene the same way normal folks are. I can drink 40-50 (BIG exaggeration) cups in one day and take a nap and sleep fine at night. It actually has a sedating affect upon us rather than stimulating. I often wake up at 3am and have a cup o' joe and go back to bed! Go figure!
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  18. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Massacre Caught on Tape: US Military Confirms Authenticity of Their Own Chilling Video Showing Killing of Journalists

After First Denying Involvement, US Forces Admit Killing Two Pregnant Afghan Women & Teenager

Stephen Soldz: Covering Up Civilian Deaths

Dave Lindorff: Welcome to Obama's War

Collateral Murder

YouTube - Censored Images of War (part 1)

And some here chalk this up to "ohwell, war is war". While I can't disagree with that statement out of context I'd urge all of us to think about these things in terms of Wars with no end.

We've f*****g up how many young Americans with more to come? And the media's complicit as you'll see, especially if you watch the last video which has several parts so those of you with ADHD may not have the patience :p

I've tried pointing it out before and every now and again I'll continue to point it out; there's something VERY wrong within our military complex and it's creating an entire society of screwed up young men and women. The worst part is once we've fked with their minds, beliefs,values and souls- we don't take care of them once they return home in fact our veterans' care is getting worse and worse.

Watch some of the videos from the last link and understand just how staged what we see really is. Compare what we see of the ME wars to the faces and scenes made public during the Vietnam war. We don't see the truth and it's likely we never will again.

I feel like Cindy Sheehan:eek: but this topic has been my cause here right along and I'm going to continue taking it down off the shelf once in awhile because so many here love to discuss their morality; why not include this too ;).
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

There will be those that say that this is the side effect of war, i.e. collateral damage.. everything will be ok, btw Morality does not apply to war:D
  20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

It's just a song - and it's just a video - but to this mother's eye and ear it says and shows it all. This is why I shiver every time my youngest son tells me he's still thinking about enlisting - this is why MRP and I never object to young military men camping out on our front room floor, drinking our beer and eating our food.

It's also why I seldom get involved in these conversations - I find war - all war - horrible. And yet the kids sleeping on our floor, they believe in what they're doing with all their heart and with all their soul. I wiped their noses when they were kids and now I've been to a few of their funerals. To speak ill of them, to second-guess them is to doubt their motives and their sincerity. If I could be there to wipe their tears without judgement when they were babies, I can still be there without judgement to wipe them when they grow up. That goes for the physically injured and the mentally injured ones, as well.

They go off to war, sound of mind and body, believing they're the good guys - and they come home like this:

YouTube - Rise Against - Hero Of War
  21. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm not about to second guess the performer or songwriter(are they one in the same?) especially if he is a veteran recalling his own expriences. If so it's too bad he's second guessing himself. He is a hero and a good guy. That was a heart-wrenching video.

Dad was a veteran of WWII and Korea and wouldn't talk about it, but he came home with 2 purple hearts, was breifly a POW but escaped and was awarded a Bronze Star. I can only guess what hell he went through and what he must have had to do.
  22. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I visited my neighbor, Joe, at the VA today, he has pneumonia again.. just rurned 90

Just reserved "Band of Brothers" from the library, promised when he got out would sit and watch it with him.. looking forward to his commentary..

Joe was in the 101st... but never saw this movie(s).... he trekked across Europe to Berlin..

My father was on an oceangoing tug at D-Day +1, he never talked about it all that much either.. was a diver, somehow contracted Pneumonia after diving off of Italy.. he was a subsequent mess.
  23. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Richard Neville: Dracula's Army

Iraq War Vet: "We Were Told to Just Shoot People, and the Officers Would Take Care of Us"

Numbers To Die For:
    Tomgram: Engelhardt, Numbers to Die For | TomDispatch

The true immorality of war is lacking the intent to end it.
  24. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Dead Souls: The Pentagon Plan to Create Remorseless "Warfighters"

It's good to know I'm not the only one who has a growing sense of wrongness on a far deeper level than simply disliking war as it were. There's something very, very wrong going on.
    Another insightful piece by Chris Floyd:
    Dead Souls: The Pentagon Plan to Create Remorseless "Warfighters"
  25. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

"This Is How These Soldiers Were Trained to Act" - Veteran of Military Unit Involved in 2007 Baghdad Helicopter Shooting Says Incident Is Part of Much Larger Problem

Josh Steiber, former member of Bravo Company 2-16, the one involved in the 2007 Baghdad shootings recently gone viral.
  26. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Just more justification as to why should be taken so seriously... particularly wars that are based on hysteria and lies..
  27. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

US Troops apologize:

Their entire open letter is here: U.S. Troops Apologize For Wikileaks Massacre Video

28. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

"Disposable Warriors" :

Pentagon continues to use "Personality Disorder" as a way of avoiding paying out VA benefits:

Pentagon Continues to Use "Personality Disorder" Discharges to Cheat Veterans out of Benefits
  29. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

30. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

Can't Messiah do something about this, we take pretty good care of the Illegal Alien Criminals.
    Is Sean Penn still alive---------------:confused:

America Over There>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:bricks:
    Last edited: May 5, 2010