Welcome to PatsFans.com

drug-tests for lawmakers

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Poll: Majority of Georgia voters favor drug-tests for lawmakers | The Raw Story

Best Idea I've heard in a while.

A recent poll of Georgia voters says that while 64 percent of those surveyed favor drug-testing for individuals applying for public assistance, a whopping 79 percent support drug-tests for lawmakers and other elected officials. The poll, conducted by the progressive organization Better Georgia, also reveals that 66 percent of voters support testing of CEO’s of companies that receive any form of government money.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

Where can I cast a vote???

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -12

Works for me, drug test the staffers while your at it.

4. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

what say yee about the percentage of positive tests?

I'd say about 70% of these people are on some kind of drug. I also wonder if we could have an alcohol test for these guys done at random to see whois drunk on the job.

as voters, should we demand this?

5. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

why, exactly, does anybody want drug testing? personally, I don't care if a Senator chooses a martini, a cigar or some weed to help wind down on a Friday night. (If the testing is to make sure nobody is under the influence while "on the clock," that's fine, I guess, though I question whether it would be worth the $)

6. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Because we pay the salaries of these fools.

you want our $$? cool, lets make sure you aren't wacked out of your mind. After all, they have the freedom to NOT take the money, or the job. The on the job breathalizer is a wonderful idea. Blow into this before you vote! Boehner would quit within minutes.

How fast would we see drugs become legal after this kind of legistlation? a week? two?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  7. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -2

Sure it is a great thought, but politicians cheat at everything else how hard would it be for them to cheat at a drug test.

8. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

ah, good point on legalization :)

9. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

getting 2 "likes" from PF13 in the same thread makes me feel frickin DIRTY...

I'm rethinking my position on this issue....

10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Just vote 'em out if you think they're on drugs.

Every elected person in the world faces a term limit, its called the next election. Enough with the BS like this and all these phoney calls for Impeaching Democratic Presidents. If your side gets beat just come to terms with the fact that you have to take the back seat for a little while.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -12

If the pols and the staffers make the laws they have a responsibility to live by those laws.

I would suggest a hair sample, the drugs are detectable for much longer that way.

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

They should all be Castrated

13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +438 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Anyone who is hired on a professional-level job today has to take a drug test. I had to take one when I got hired for my current job and almost all companies do it today.

The public sector shouldn't be any different. Having said that, I've never been tested again (7 years), but I guess if my company asked me to take another one, I wouldn't have a choice.

If anything, our public sector should be tougher, not more lenient. I think all public sector bus drivers, truck drivers, heavy equipment operators, train operators, school teachers, police officers, firefighters, judges & all politicians should have to take them. And those operating equipment or driving/operating public transportation should be subject to random drug tests.

14. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +209 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Wrong...

In the 4 jobs I have had since college, I havent been tested once. Two Corporations (see big companies including a bank) and two smaller Vendor shops. 3 of the companies dont have a policy as part of their new hire process and the last one does it at the hiring managers request - i.e. if your new boss cares about what you do on your time, you'll get tested.

That being said I was tested 8 times in my last three years of HS, so maybe it is karma.

15. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

why? unless it affects performance, who cares?

Drug testing is more a CYA than anything, imo, and the more widespread it becomes, the more it demonizes illegal drugs while implicitly giving the OK to legal drugs -- which would be fine if there were a solid rationale behind what's legal and what isn't.

(testing for impairment while on the job? Great -- regardless of the job, and particularly in jobs where impairment can cost lives)