Drop kick shows Dolphins win vs. Pats has little meaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/football/13531699.htm

New England trailed late in Sunday's football game here as it lined up for a point-after-touchdown. Something was odd - and it wasn't just that the champs were headed for a rare defeat at home. See, Patriots players were down there grinning behind their facemasks. Yucking and joshing. All but giggling.

"Their offensive line was kind of giddy," Dolphins end Vonnie Holliday said. "One of them was saying, `Wait'll you see this!' ''

It was a moment later that the Pats let local hero Doug Flutie take a curtain call on his long pro career by drop-kicking the extra point.
-----
Meantime, don't kid yourself that a full game of Brady and others Sunday would not have underlined the Pats' continuing clear edge over Miami, whose victory requires a mental asterisk.

New England's cavalier nonchalance about the result could not have been conveyed more clearly short of players' wives suiting up and taking the field.

I mean, a drop kick!?

One of those last happened in an NFL game in 1941. (Wasn't that the year Flutie was born?) Sunday's was the first in the league ever televised.
-----
Ricky Williams, asked about the rare, throwback play, said, "What's the big deal?" Told it hadn't happened in 64 years, he chided reporters: "Are you guys that bored?"

The existentialist running back then called our interest in the drop kick weird.

Being called weird by Ricky Williams is an interesting sensation. It's a little like being called fat by a 640-pound man.
-----
Soon, he will be studying advanced yoga again in India, by the way.

Which might be weird to some.

But still not as weird as a drop kick.

I just LUV these stories u find!

Esoteric.

Last drop-kicker was St. A's, Concord star

http://www.theunionleader.com/artic...rticleId=b58014b5-3b80-4c90-ae96-c0758afc6875

Passing — that is, kicking — the torch of history from one New England football star to another.

New England Patriots backup quarterback Doug Flutie became the first player since 1941 to complete a drop kick for an extra point when he knocked home the one-pointer in yesterday's 28-26 loss to Miami.

The last man to do it prior to Flutie was St. Anselm and Concord product Ray "Scooter" McLean, who converted a drop kick PAT as a member of the Chicago Bears in their 1941 NFL Championship win against the New York Giants.
-----
McLean prepped at Cushing Academy in Ashburnham, Mass., and played at St. Anselm between 1937 and 1939, when his Hawks teams compiled an aggregate record of 14-4-1.
-----
"We thought if we had an opportunity to do it here in one of the last couple of games that we would give it a shot," Belichick said. "I think Doug deserves it. He is a guy that adds a lot to this game of football. He's got a skill and we got a chance to let him use it and I'm happy for him."

Indeed, the normally reserved Belichick was grinning from ear to ear and hugged Flutie when he came off after the kick sailed through the uprights. He was getting hugs and high-fives as though he'd just replicated his famous Hail Mary play from his Boston College days.

Last edited:
It was funny and charming to see the way the whole team celebrated the drop kick, especially Belichick. It also seemed to convey a pretty clear message about how seriously they were taking the Miami game.

But maybe above all, it was a nice way to give Flutie a tip of the hat while demoting him to third string.

When Cassell came off the field, Flutie gave him a big hug. Respect all around. That's the way it should always be, isn't it?!

fillip said:
It was funny and charming to see the way the whole team celebrated the drop kick, especially Belichick. It also seemed to convey a pretty clear message about how seriously they were taking the Miami game.

But maybe above all, it was a nice way to give Flutie a tip of the hat while demoting him to third string.

When Cassell came off the field, Flutie gave him a big hug. Respect all around. That's the way it should always be, isn't it?!
The TEAM obviously had fun with this and played off Doug's enthusiasm and excitement, a good omen to keep the team loose at the start of the first week of playoff preparation. Cassell has been schooled by two veteran QBs, if we saw Tommy in his play, you could also say we saw Doug whenever he started moving outside the pocket. I love how the O-line was giggling and telling the Miami D that they were in for a surprise.

I could've sworn I heard Dan Davis shouting "Does he have it? Does he have it? It's good! it's good! Flutie did it! Flutie did it!!!!!!"

it was really cool

Box_O_Rocks said:
The TEAM obviously had fun with this and played off Doug's enthusiasm and excitement, a good omen to keep the team loose at the start of the first week of playoff preparation. Cassell has been schooled by two veteran QBs, if we saw Tommy in his play, you could also say we saw Doug whenever he started moving outside the pocket. I love how the O-line was giggling and telling the Miami D that they were in for a surprise.
they probably had as much fun with that as they've had all season. BB knows how to take the pressure off, eh?
Cassel is pretty fast. he moves ok, just like he did in preseason he's got a good arm, but he doesn't have what they call "command" in baseball. he missed two open passes on the goal line, one to watson, and then the last play of the game. command comes with reps, for sure.
i still believe flutie is the #2 QB. i don't want to see either of them, but i dang sure don't want to see cassel come in there with flutie on the bench. i dearly belieeve that BB would not put in a rookie who has thrown, like 25 passes SINCE HIGH SCHOOL instead of a 22-year veteran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes