Welcome to PatsFans.com

Drilling for Gulf Oil to Begin!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWickedPissah, May 9, 2006.

1. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +709 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

2. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Wow...some enlightened Senators still use the phrase "Red China?" Wow. I wonder what he thinks about "colored folk" or "Gooks?"

The fault in policy isn't the failure to drill offshore. The fault in policy is not doing business with Cuba. Just a crazy policy, which was silly when it began, and the fact that it continues today is absolutely ludicrous.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Just like Clinton ended the embargo, right ? Some things aren't "just Bush".
  4. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Politics at stake. If Bush lifted the embargo, he would have lost the Miami Cuban community, and would've lost Florida, which would have lost him the election. In his defense, it was a smart move.

Much like taking a policy of neutrality in the Middle East, and earnestly looking for alternatives to oil, there is too much for Politicians to lose by ending the Cuba embargo. And it's a shame, because I love cigars, mojitos, and Cuban sandwiches.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I'm almost certain that Clinton tried to soften the U.S. position on Cuba, but was met by tremendous resistance on the part of Republicans. It's too bad, in many ways Cuba is not a bad country, and someday we should have leader that at least explores the possibility of rapprochement.
  6. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

It is funny, or sad, that we have a dirt poor country 90 miles away from us that we don't give a sh!t about, but we'll send aid all over the world to be stolen by warlords. I guess we still have a Communist-phobia in the U.S. How dare those bas tards have a different system of government than we do. I'm sorry King Fahd....I didn't hear you over my rant. I apologize.
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Honestly, I don't have any idea whether he tried or not. I just know he didn't. And I'm getting tired of people saying "Bush caused . . ." when it's something which pre-dated him.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

It's that way for Democrats too.
  9. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +709 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

Maybe it whizzed over everyone's head but the US prohibits itself from drilling for accessable oil in the Gulf. NIMBY by Floridians and the strong radical enviro crowd that's against most any energy development.
  10. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Well, speaking for myself, I didn't miss it, but it's not worth commenting on. It's slapping a band-aid on a gunshot wound. The estimate provided was that the continental shelf holds enough oil to last 16 years, assuming consumption is steady. Of course, if the price is better in China or Europe, that oil will be exported there, so it's not going to cause prices to drop much. Is it worth drilling up the continent for such a small return?
  11. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

As much as Floridians should be less NIMBY and the US should be looking at alternatives to oil, both of which would get us all out of the Middle East, one of the biggest things you could do is design some cars that don't guzzle gas like those bloody SUVs. They have become the latest "must have" for middle class parents here and they are monstrous.
  12. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Actually, you can't give them away here anymore. Finally cost has overtaken vanity except for the truly wealthy seeking status.
  13. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +709 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

If there were only oil for a decade it would be worth it to drill. National security could be greatly enhanced were we able to avoid using the ME as a source of oil.

Again, with a supply from the Gulf and one from ANWR we could buy the time for a transition to other fuels for personal transportation. Such a ttransition is not yet technically feasible and will take a couple decades.

Some steps Now...

1. Drill Gulf
    2. Drill ANWR
    3. Build nuclear plants
    4. Tax incentives for purchasing hybrids
    5. Raise CAFE stds and eliminate SUV type loopholes
    6. Tax breaks for new tech car companies, e.g. diesel hybrids, the most fuel efficient short term (under a decade) solution
    7. Push methane clathrate exploration and technology
    8. Ethanol - find out if the energy cost to farm and make it is less than the savings
    9. Tax incentives for solar power development
    10. Public transportation busses, etc. transitions to diesil hybrids
    11. Build Cape Wind off Ted Kennedy's compound
  14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -9

Why do so many Cubans HATE Castro?
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Can anybody give a good reason why we still have an embargo on Cuba? I don't mean votes (not good enough), Castro's evil (he's nothing compared to his predecessor), or they're communists.
  16. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I agree with almost your entire message. The above sentence I can't roll with. I'll bet the second the last drop of oil comes out of the ME, they'll have hydro or 100% electro cars hitting the street. The technology is there. There is one reason why it hasn't happened yet.

Briefcases full of billions of dollars going from Oil companies to Politicians to prevent the technology from going full scale.
  17. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +709 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

I are an engineer. No friggin way we know how to store H2 feasibly. And battery technology sucks. I'm involved with multi-million dollar investment startups e.g. A123 outa MIT, which IF successful only provide a modest gain in battery tech, like for electric cars. There IS no technology holdback. None.
    Last edited: May 9, 2006
  18. OhExaulted1

OhExaulted1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +214 / 13 / -18

#15 Jersey

1. We already do, and it supplies 30% of our Oil and 20% of our Natural Gas. There are 4,000 offshore platforms in the Gulf.http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060417/us_nm/energy_gulfcoast_dc_1

2.That is the REAL strategic reserve. I agree that it would not diminish the ecology of the area, but that is not even the point.

3. At who's expense and who's benefit. I smell another monopoly, and guess who's on the wrong side? 99% of Americans.

4. They already do that, so don't expect Americans vying for the middle-class lifestyle will fall all over themselves to accept this anytime real soon.

5. Another great idea that will cost the American working man an arm and a leg while lining the pockets of the Energy Giants.

6. The Solution has already been figured out. First conquer the ME, then N. Africa and finally S. America.

7. Matser-Blaster run BarterTown!!!!

8. Wouldn't it be great if we could find a way for farmer's to benefit Americans again? Too bad they'd just get skrewed in the long run.

9.Solar Power. Another great idea. Too bad that it would also turn into a monopoly if harnessed correctly, which so far it can't be.

10. Public Transportation barely exists in the suburbs where most Americans live. Should we all buy bikes and pretend we live in China?

11. Yeah, take down the Kennedy's and that'll save the world. It's worked great so far. Are you in tune with reality? Windmills on the compound? Fine, let's take out Bush Sr's place in Kennebunkport too. Hell with it, let's get rid of all NE's coastline and replace it with windmills.

Unfortunately it still wouldn't light and heat your home, but if it satisfies you're Kennedy stalker-mentality syndrome then I say more power to ya.