Drew Bledsoe Should Be In The Patriots Hall Of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Drew Bledsoe Should Be In The Patriots Hall Of Fame
By: Russ Goldman

The Patriots Hall Of Fame voting has begun and their is one candidate that I believe stands out. His name is Drew Bledsoe. ...

Waiting for MoLewisRocks and other 'Drew is not worthy' comments in 3...2...1.

Drew should be in, the Dynasty would not have gotten off the ground without him.

That 94 game against the Vikings was something I don't think I will ever see a QB do again in a game.

Drew was beyond fantastic in that comeback from a 4 TD deficit....I think he threw 72 times in that game to win it.

Even Brady would be hard pressed to come close to duplicating that day.

I can't get that 7-6 game with Pittsburgh out of my mind, ever!

Edited: Not a pick, a fumble.

Last edited:
I can't get that pick with Pittsburgh out of my mind, ever!

To ease your pain...wasn't that Steelers INT game clincher caught by Vrabel who ended up playing big for us years later?

Last edited:
Drew has got my my vote.

No Bledsoe worshiper here but Drew belongs in the Pats HOF. Best QB we ever had not named Brady or Cassel.

To ease your pain...wasn't that Steelers INT game clincher caught by Vrabel who ended up playing big for us years later?

Thanks, needed that...

"The Patriots kicked two field goals and were driving for a potential game-winner when Mike Vrabel forced Drew Bledsoe to fumble the ball away."

Last edited:
The author and I are in agreement that Drew is not a Pro Football HOF'er. A Patriots HOF'er - probably just because of the value of perception. Is it imperative he make it on the first ballot? No. Antwine has waited a long time, and he'll be waiting a lot longer if he doesn't get in this year. 6 time pro bowler and a member of the all decade and 50th anniversary team. Drew was a 4 time pro bowler, 3 times in 9 seasons as a Patriot although at least one of those times he'd thrown more picks than TD's...something he did multiple times in his career.

The author and I are in agreement that Drew is not a Pro Football HOF'er. A Patriots HOF'er - probably just because of the value of perception. Is it imperative he make it on the first ballot? No. Antwine has waited a long time, and he'll be waiting a lot longer if he doesn't get in this year. 6 time pro bowler and a member of the all decade and 50th anniversary team. Drew was a 4 time pro bowler, 3 times in 9 seasons as a Patriot although at least one of those times he'd thrown more picks than TD's...something he did multiple times in his career.
I think Bledsoe tends to be overrated. The 'he started the dynasty' stuff is way off the mark IMO, because the dynasty simply never would have happened if he werent replaced.
That said he is absolutely Patriots HOF worthy. I'm not real big on stat compilers, and Bledsoe was one of the ultimate compilers, but he was very good at elevating his team to a level, even if that level didn't approach Champion.
I used to know the stats, but at the time he left the Pats, it went something like this.
Only 8 bottom 5 rushing teams had ever made the playoffs, and Bledsoe was the QB of 4 of them.
Only 1 won their division, Bledsoe.
Only 2 or 3 had won a playoff game, and Bledsoe did twice, and the only bottom 5 rushing team to have made a SB (up to that point) was the 1996 Pats.
In other words, his stats are overblown because of the system, but he took flawed teams farther than many would.
He was the face of the franchise for years, and somewhere among the top 10 or so QBs in the league for a good chunk of that time.
He belongs.

That 94 game against the Vikings was something I don't think I will ever see a QB do again in a game.

Drew was beyond fantastic in that comeback from a 4 TD deficit....I think he threw 72 times in that game to win it.

Even Brady would be hard pressed to come close to duplicating that day.
Well not quite a 4 TD deficit, but 17 points.
Bradys 2002 comeback vs Chicago was equally as good.

Bledsoe's the franchises second best QB ever, so of course he gets in.

Shame about Antwine, but under their current, decades delayed induction, he doesn't stand a chance.

As a representative of the elder statesmen, I'd say He, Holovak and Bucko Kilroy (36 years a Patriot, crossed over eras as GM and personnel leader) could just be inserted and be done with it.

There was no huge vote for the original members that i know of.

Also, Clayborn and Julius Adams need to be in before the current era teams overwhelm things.

And Russ Francis, for ItalianPat:D (even though he left for the 49ers).

Last edited:
Bledsoe's the franchises second best QB ever, so of course he gets in.

Shame about Antwine, but under their current, decades delayed induction, he doesn't stand a chance.

As a representative of the elder statesmen, I'd say He, Holovak and Bucko Kilroy (36 years a Patriot, crossed over eras as GM and personnel leader) could just be inserted and be done with it.

There was no huge vote for the original members that i know of.

Also, Clayborn and Julius Adams need to be in before the current era teams overwhelm things.

And Russ Francis, for ItalianPat:D (even though he left for the 49ers).

I agree with all of this. The team should "grandfather" these guys in. Including Francis, Claybo and Adams. This vote system will ignore the old timers. Just insert and be done. Give them the jacket and their time. They absolutely deserve it.

That said, Bledsoe absolutely needs to be in. But not before Tuna. Tuna goes first. Too bad they cant bring them in together though.

No Bledsoe worshiper here but Drew belongs in the Pats HOF. Best QB we ever had not named Brady or Cassel.

Cassel?
*cough* Grogan *cough*

Leadership and toughness count. Dred-So had those qualities... Mattie?

Grogs had em.

Tommy is made of em.

oh and while I am at it..Plunkett? I mean seriously, are you ready to put Cassel ahead of Plunkett and Grogan for Best QB's ever on the Pats? And we dont even need to go to the first few years...

Wow... Babe Parilli anyone? WTF.. Matt Freakin Cassel? Seriously?

Last edited:
Cassel?
*cough* Grogan *cough*

Grogs had em.

Tommy is made of em.

oh and while I am at it..Plunkett? I mean seriously, are you ready to put Cassel ahead of Plunkett and Grogan for Best QB's ever on the Pats? And we dont even need to go to the first few years...

Agreed, cassel shouldnt even be mentioned, and I was a huge Cassel supporter. One season doesnt mean anything. Also, Plunkett shouldnt be mentioned either. Its not like he did that great while he was here.
Brady
Bledsoe
Parilli
Grogan
That would be my order, but what do i know :cool:

Cassel?
*cough* Grogan *cough*

Grogs had em.

Tommy is made of em.

No, I wasn't serious.
Big Grogs fan and were I serious I would have mentioned Plunkett. The old timers get forgotten. See others' prior posts on Julius Adams, Clayborn...

Last edited:
Bledsoe belongs, but not because of anything to do with the Dynasty. His main contributions to the Dynasty were the AFCCG vs. the Steelers and behaving like a good sportsman publicly when he didn't get his job back.

His impact over multiple years and his stats make him a slam dunk for a place in the Pats' HOF. With all respect to the supporters of the other nominees, I also think he deserves to go in on his first try.

Like many others, I don't think he belongs in Canton, but we can save that thread for another four years when he's eligible.

Agreed, cassel shouldnt even be mentioned, and I was a huge Cassel supporter. One season doesnt mean anything. Also, Plunkett shouldnt be mentioned either. Its not like he did that great while he was here.
Brady
Bledsoe
Parilli
Grogan
That would be my order, but what do i know :cool:

You know pretty good, I'd say.

I think Bledsoe is a Patriots HOF for many of the same reasons why I think Parcells. He helped to turn the Patriots froma league joke and #4 most popular sport in this town to legitmacy and popularity that rivals the Red Sox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes