PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Bledsoe released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that just your impression from hearing him saying it, or did DB actually explain that at some point?

Wannabe mindreader. ;)

Drew always meant it. And on some level my own mindreading abilities tell me he almost hoped the kid would throw the pick. Because that might have yet unleashed his dream scenario where Beldsoe replaced the now bumbling in over his head youngster Brady in OT and won it all. Or at the very least set up a media firestorm for the impending offseason QB controversey.

But thankfully Brady listened to the only voices in his ear who were rational.

Wannabe mindreader. ;)

Drew always meant it. And on some level my own mindreading abilities tell me he almost hoped the kid would throw the pick. Because that might have yet unleashed his dream scenario where Beldsoe replaced the now bumbling in over his head youngster Brady in OT and won it all. Or at the very least set up a media firestorm for the impending offseason QB controversey.

But thankfully Brady listened to the only voices in his ear who were rational.

Absolute nonsense, Mo. Believe what you want about Bledsoe, but if you think he seriously was encouraging Brady to disobey the coaches in the most crucial (at that time) game of his career, you're crazy. I've seen Brady interviewed on more than one occasion about this and he laughs each time. The way he characterizes it, Bledsoe obviously was joking. Yet even without Brady's take, on its surface it HAD to be a joke -- nobody is that diabolical. Bledsoe was with Brady, Weis and BB before going out on the field, and it was an understandably tense moment for all. Here you have what essentially is a rookie quarterback with everything on his shoulders and the whole world watching. Weis tells him to be very careful with the ball, etc., etc. As Brady trots out onto the field, Bledsoe yells, "Hey Tom! Eff that sh!t. Just go out there and sling it!" Seems pretty damn funny to me under the circumstances and Brady apparently took it that way. Bledsoe was just trying to keep the kid loose. If you don't want to believe me, ask Reiss, but prepare to embarrass yourself further.

Last edited:
I've heard Tom retell the story and he is laughing. But not because it was a joke (on Drew's part), just because that was so typically Drew's mentality. The fact that he realized that is what seperates them and puts one in the HOF while the other morphed into a big name JAG with a million dollar arm and ten cent brain.

Drew is a gunslinger, just like Favre. They got that name because to them the game is ultimately about them just going out there and just slinging it.

I've heard Tom retell the story and he is laughing. But not because it was a joke (on Drew's part), just because that was so typically Drew's mentality. The fact that he realized that is what seperates them and puts one in the HOF while the other morphed into a big name JAG with a million dollar arm and ten cent brain.

Drew is a gunslinger, just like Favre. They got that name because to them the game is ultimately about them just going out there and just slinging it.
I agree. Tunescribe, you didn't answer directly but your reply to Mo sez it all. You just cannot believe Drew would be that devil-may-care. But that is and always was exactly his problem - he always believed he knew better than the coaches who were telling him to be careful with the ball. He would have just f'en slung it if he had gotten the chance.

I agree. Tunescribe, you didn't answer directly but your reply to Mo sez it all. You just cannot believe Drew would be that devil-may-care. But that is and always was exactly his problem - he always believed he knew better than the coaches who were telling him to be careful with the ball. He would have just f'en slung it if he had gotten the chance.

Guys, guys -- Bledsoe was JOKING! Consider the fact that Brady himself is the sole source of this quote and then pay attention to how he characterizes it. I've seen him address it twice, once during an NFL Films interview and again during one of the SB 36 recaps. He laughs because Bledsoe said something outrageous to keep him loose, and it worked. Brady didn't have the freedom to call plays in that situation anyway.

Yes, Bledsoe shot himself in the foot many times during his career via crucial interceptions, but this was not a case of him urging the young Brady to be insubordinate.

Last edited:
Guys, guys -- Bledsoe was JOKING! Consider the fact that Brady himself is the sole source of this quote and then pay attention to how he characterizes it. I've seen him address it twice, once during an NFL Films interview and again during one of the SB 36 recaps. He laughs because Bledsoe said something outrageous to keep him loose, and it worked. Brady didn't have the freedom to call plays in that situation anyway.

Yes, Bledsoe shot himself in the foot many times during his career via crucial interceptions, but this was not a case of him urging the young Brady to be insubordinate.

Think what you want Tune - he lost his job, probably his last in the NFL, because he was insubordinate. Parcells didn't pull him because he threw a pick, he pulled him because he defied his OC and never attempted to execute the play called because he thought he could get a throw to Glen in spite of double coverage. Brady had to improvise a couple of times during that drive, and pick up a blitz, and maintain a cool head and not give in to the urge to try and do too much on any one play, and he did it. It was what Drew could never do in similar circumstances.

he isnt joking but he means it in a good way. weis says be careful and Drew pretty much says f that this is your time go out and sling it, do your thing, its your chance to be a legend. an dobviously after th efact brady is going to laugh about because its funny.

he isnt joking but he means it in a good way. weis says be careful and Drew pretty much says f that this is your time go out and sling it, do your thing, its your chance to be a legend. an dobviously after th efact brady is going to laugh about because its funny.

Fair enough. My point is that he was not seriously telling Brady to ignore what the coaches told him and ad lib. He was trying to encourage him and keep him loose. For all his faults, Bledsoe always has been a team guy.

Fair enough. My point is that he was not seriously telling Brady to ignore what the coaches told him and ad lib. He was trying to encourage him and keep him loose. For all his faults, Bledsoe always has been a team guy.

I agree that the intent of the comment was absolutely to keep him loose. and even if drew hasn't always done things great he has always been about the team. Bledsoe is my second favorite QB behind brady so I hope he finds a starting job somewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back