Welcome to PatsFans.com

Drew Bledsoe radio interview

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by jmt57, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +814 / 1 / -3

Audio link to Drew Bledsoe interview on KTAR in Phoenix on 7/16/09

Link to transcript of above interview

2. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,455 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

That's a real interesting choice of words by Drew. It seems he still believes he should have gotten his starting job back in 2001.

3. basement zombie

basement zombie Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yes, it does. I agree. And I would expect nothing less of Bledsoe or any other professional athlete worth their salt.

It sounds to me like he was expressing his feelings about the matter in an open, honest, and explicit manner. I respect that, and I can empathize with him. The fact that I can empathize with him does not mean that I feel he should have been handed back the reigns - au contraire. I was fully in the 'let the kid Brady continue' camp. I feel that BB did absolutely the right thing (20/20 hindsight is great ;) )

I would expect any competitive, successful professional athlete (much less, one with the accomplishments and experience of Bledsoe) to feel the same as Bledsoe expresses in that above quote.

4. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Brady said pretty much the same thing, the shock of seeing the 40 second clock reset itself as he left the field knowing the game would go on without him.

I am not sorry that BB kept Brady as starter, but I do believe that Bledsoe wasn't treated fairly. I have never believed that it is right for a player to lose his job due to injury. When an injured player comes back, he should get his job back. He was injured going all out for the team, after all. When players lose their jobs to injuries, it makes other players wonder about sacrificing their bodies.

The Bledsoe-Brady transaction was complicated because I think BB was going to go to Brady anyway the next year. Brady outplayed Bledsoe in the 2001 preseason, and Brady was much more coachable than Bledsoe.

One thing I will say about Bledsoe. He acted with total class the whole season. Never caused a distraction, carried a clipboard, and helped Brady out on the sidelines all the while he believed he had been wronged. Try to picture Jay Cutler doing that. The Patriots dynasty never would have gotten off the ground.

It was very nice that Bledsoe got to come in and finish teh Steeler game, but two near interceptions based on bad decisions made me realize that Brady was the guy I wanted in the superbowl.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +786 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I'm the opposite, I think the "you can't lose your job because of an injury" is stupid. If you've played for years and established your level, get hurt and the guy replacing you plays better than that level then . . . you lose your job.

6. Bring Back Antowain!

Bring Back Antowain! Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I will go to my death bead believing that the Pats should have handed Drew Bledsoe back the starting quarterback job.

He was the veteran, the hero, the leader of the team, and had been very resilient his entire career.

However, I am obviously glad the Pats went with the kid. But again, AT THE TIME, I was a Bledsoe supporter.

I think the Patriots treated him with disrespect throughout the process.

7. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,696 / 40 / -27

Its an interesting choice of words, because they would have been 'handing it back' because he didnt deserve it. Brady played at a higher level during that time than Bledsoe had in years.
    I think it is much worse to hand a guy his job based on a belief that is not a team policy (you can't lose your job to injury) which violates the spoken policy BB has had since day 1 that the best players play. Its ironic to me that some people consider BB disingenuous for not following a concept that he never supported at any point rather than the one he has clearly communicated since day 1 (best players play).
    I think to keep Bledose happy, you would have had to go back on your promise to the other 52 players.

8. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Your right. He shouldn't have lost the job due to the injury. He should have lost it in camp and Brady should have started on week 1 of the 2001 season. Brady outshined him in camp.

I agree what BelichickFan said and go further and say you put the players that give you the best chance to win on the field regardless of where they were drafted, how much they are paid or what they have done for the team in the past.

And on the slim chance that Brace outshines Vince or KOC outshines Brady, I hold the same view.

9. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,780 / 9 / -2

#50 Jersey

That was my exact reaction.

10. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +299 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

This is the part I like to focus on and one of the reasons Drew is my 2nd favorite QB of all time. So what if he felt wronged by what could be considered a false sense of loyalty or entitlement......despite that Drew did what was right and after 8 and some change he was able to take this team to his second SB.

11. farn

farn 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +136 / 3 / -4

Call him up ! Maybe we can get him to backup the clearly incompetent O'C ! Hahaha ! It was the right move then, it was a steal to trade him for what became Warren. I know there is still lotsa love for him in here, that's cool. Just glad Brady is back for the upcoming season.

12. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +498 / 2 / -1

No Jersey Selected

What was disrespectful about it?

In my opinion, a meritocracy is the best way to provide equal respect to everyone.

13. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I don't know how you can say this:

"I do believe that Bledsoe wasn't treated fairly. I have never believed that it is right for a player to lose his job due to injury. When an injured player comes back, he should get his job back. He was injured going all out for the team, after all. When players lose their jobs to injuries, it makes other players wonder about sacrificing their bodies."

While in the next breath admitting that:

"I think BB was going to go to Brady anyway the next year. Brady outplayed Bledsoe in the 2001 preseason, and Brady was much more coachable than Bledsoe."

And this:

Is just nonsense. This team was 5-13 with Bledsoe at the helm in the Belichick era. Bledsoe was history in the BB system. Opportunity knocked and Belichick did what any halfway intelligent HC would have done...he took advantage of it. Benching Bledsoe outright for poor performance would have been a far uglier process. Just ask Tuna.

Belichick gave him cover to exit this town the disrespected martyr to the cause. To this day he struggles to be gracious where Bill is concerned because he's never truly confronted his own shortcomings as a player. That is why he's running a vineyard in his mid 30's as opposed to fronting a system in a competent starting QB starved league.

It was this culture of entitlement that Drew and a handful of players BB inherited had entered the league with that had to eliminate from NE in order for the franchise to achieve any sustained success. The only reason Cassel is in KC today and that kid who replaced Bledsoe is mounting his return to the playing field from his own serious injury is because he went down as the reigning league MVP and arguably the best QB in the league and had already taken this franchise to 4 Superbowls and won 3 in HIS "eight years and change here".

14. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,366 / 7 / -29

#12 Jersey

According to Michael Holley in "Patriot Reign" (pp. 45-53), Bledsoe was a distraction and a problem. On p. 48: "During a staff meeting one of the coaches said of Bledsoe: 'His sh!##& attitude means we have to do one of two things: trade him to the highest bidder (during the off-season) or tell him he's the starter and Brady will compete with him.' "

15. Armchair Quarterback

Armchair Quarterback In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +176 / 6 / -3

#37 Jersey

Bledsoe's won/loss record as a starter going back to midway through the 1999 season was 7-19 prior to his injury. Brady's 2001 regular season record won/loss record after replacing Bledsoe 11-3. Drew was right when he said Brady was playing awfully well. Bledsoe was just playing awful. He really needs to get over this. He was replaced by a better QB who has gone on to win 3 Super Bowls on the way to a Hall of Fame career. I think the right decision was made. TheGodInAGreyHoodie is right, he should have lost the job in TC.

16. PatsSox363804

PatsSox363804 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +157 / 2 / -1

This. Any reason for giving Bledsoe his job back would have been purely political or because of his contract. I can see where they obviously wouldn't give Brady the job out of camp for those reasons, although as stated, they should have, but once Brady came in and turned the team around and showed that his camp performance wasn't a fluke they couldn't go back to Bledsoe.

17. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Listening to the interview, it appears as if Drew intellectually has come to grips with that transition - but like anyone else who has been through a significant, negative career change, it still hurts. God bless him for helping get NE on track, God bless him and his family, I pray he enjoys his new life and the fond memories of the NFL outweigh the negative. It was a good interview. For NE, we fans are still in the midst of a dynasty, the lean years aren't happening yet, and that Tommy kid is alright.

18. robertweathers

robertweathers Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +600 / 16 / -5

Agree 100%. Michael Holley has said it before that BB's "approval rating" was sliding a bit with the Krafts and even if DB remained healthy, his production to that point in the season was poor and would have forced BB to make the switch. After all, he would have had nothing to lose.

Loved DB for all that he did for the franchise. Glad BB stuck w/ TB. He puts DB back in, IMO they don't win in 01.

19. stinkypete

stinkypete In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

The won/loss numbers before and after Bledsoe's injury speak louder than words. Once Brady had a couple of games to settle into the job, the entire team felt different. I don't think anyone could dispute that. Some of the closer games of the late 2001 season...Buffalo, Jets, Fins, Browns...would Bledsoe have won those games?

20. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +1,710 / 14 / -10

i agree although i did read in michael holley's book or somewhere that before SB 36 he went to BB and said he should be the starter since has more experience and some other not so public stories. But yes to the public eye it was an amicable relationship and he made peace with the decision once it was made.
    One thing about him, he always felt that he had the privilege of getting the starting job. Same in dallas , same here. Once made a backup in dallas , he retired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.