PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DraftTek seven round draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here's what they have the Pats taking. About the only good thing that can be said about it is that every player represents a "value" pick in their system:

1. RB Darren McFadden (Arkansas) :bricks:
2. OLB Erin Henderson (Maryland)
3a. C Steve Justice (Wake Forest) :bricks:
3b. ILB Tavares Gooden (Miami)
4. OT King Dunlop (Auburn)
5. CB Jack Williams (Kent State)
6. RB Justin Forsett (Cal) :bricks:
7. OT Brandon Keith (Iowa)

Part of the problem is that they have the Pats listed as needing a starter at RB, which is just incomprehensible to me.

I'd love to see a link where they think McFadden is going to fall to the Patriots at 7. If he did, I would be incredibly excited because you just KNOW you could make Jerry Jones give up those two first rounders for him if we kicked in something extra.

That said, this seems very suspect to me.

Edit: Nevermind, found it myself.

Last edited:
There's an update on the Round 1 page that says they are still tinkering with their computer model. I'll shoot them an email to let them know their Patriots Needs are incorrect anyway.

I like the Forsett pick in the 6th. The dude is only 5'7" but he has huge hands! Like 10.5" hands! Can you say catch-out-of-the-backfield ten times fast? I like the freaks.

I'd love to see a link where they think McFadden is going to fall to the Patriots at 7. If he did, I would be incredibly excited because you just KNOW you could make Jerry Jones give up those two first rounders for him if we kicked in something extra.
In theory, McFadden slipping to us would give us great trade options but with a totally loaded year at RB I'm not so sure that would be the case.

In theory, McFadden slipping to us would give us great trade options but with a totally loaded year at RB I'm not so sure that would be the case.

You'd think that, but there's a certain allure to having the biggest name/most talented guy in the class. The comparisons to Adrian Peterson don't hurt him, and the fact that the pick would be at #7 would be quite symbolic. If Peterson falls (which, for the record, I doubt), we would still be in a great position to trade that pick.

I looked up OLB Erin Henderson (Maryland) because I knew little about him. I still don't know much about him. Scout.com has him going from 210 pounds from his senior year of HS to 245 pounds in his junior year of college. I wouldn't know if that is common for LBs or not. He has suffored an ACL injury. Actually he has battled injuries a lot.

I found this interesting "Erin's back gave him a lot of trouble this year. Back injuries never seem to go away, so he probably has a limited number of years left physically." http://east-coast-bias.blogspot.com/2008/01/erin-henderson-enters-nfl-draft.html

I think I'd rather see Pierre Woods get more work than to draft this guy.

Last edited:
There's an update on the Round 1 page that says they are still tinkering with their computer model. I'll shoot them an email to let them know their Patriots Needs are incorrect anyway.

I like the Forsett pick in the 6th. The dude is only 5'7" but he has huge hands! Like 10.5" hands! Can you say catch-out-of-the-backfield ten times fast? I like the freaks.

Our running back corps would be pretty sick with McFadden and Forsett added to it.

Our running back corps would be pretty sick with McFadden and Forsett added to it.

A little crowded too. Maroney, Faulk, and I think Morris as well are all under contract for next season.

Part of the problem is that they have the Pats listed as needing a starter at RB, which is just incomprehensible to me.

But wait, it gets better. They have the Pats with the same need level at C and ILB!

Honestly, team needs calculations are pretty meaningless until the first wave of free agency is past. E.g. Drafttek thinks the Pats are stacked at WR even though there's vast FA uncertaintly there.

I think the more pressing need is not RB or C. More on the defensive side.

Maybe a 3rd round pick for a RB and a 4th round for a C. Patriots need LBer and DB's. Like they always do every year.

They do all these as if they roster is set they change and update it as thing change in FA and other things. The have the top need set at 3s for the pats (at CB,ILB,RB) which if you read it says they need a stater at the postion but it's not a desprate need so they team will not make a large reach.

They do all these as if they roster is set they change and update it as thing change in FA and other things. The have the top need set at 3s for the pats (at CB,OLB,RB) which if you read it says they need a stater at the postion but it's not a desprate need so they team will not make a large reach.

I fixed your post for you. [Yes, DraftTek says they have a higher need at OLB. :mad: ]

Revised draft:

3a. CB Dwight Lowery (San Jose State)
3b. OT Chad Rinehart (Northern Iowa)
4. OG Robert Felton (Arkansas)
5. WR Keenan Burton (Kentucky)
6. DT James McClinton (Kansas)
7. FS David Roach (TCU)

Revised draft:

3a. CB Dwight Lowery (San Jose State)
3b. OT Chad Rinehart (Northern Iowa)
4. OG Robert Felton (Arkansas)
5. WR Keenan Burton (Kentucky)
6. DT James McClinton (Kansas)
7. FS David Roach (TCU)

I don't think McFadden is any more likely to fall to #7 than he was before. That said, SHOULD he fall, I would fully expect to see them trade out so someone else can take him (paging Jerry Jones)

What if McFadden fell to #7 and BB took him instead of trading the pick. Would you be upset? Happy? Unimpressed? Ambivalent?

What if McFadden fell to #7 and BB took him instead of trading the pick. Would you be upset? Happy? Unimpressed? Ambivalent?

Mildly surprised. He's the most talented player in the draft, so you would never scoff at getting him at #7, but he doesn't fit a need either. Tough to say what I'd think.

Since I don't have permission to post (yet), I'll say this much: someone from Draft Tek explained to me the logic--such as it is--behind McFadden going to the Pats. All I can say is that it's very interesting.

I also suggested a bunch of alternatives, which they're apparently considering for one of their "What If" polls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes