PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DraftTek 12/30 mock

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Figured I'd throw this out here.

Note that it's a computer-based system; they enter what they feel are the Patriots' needs, and the system selects the top-ranked player that fits those needs (unless they explicitly say player X is not a good fit for team Y's system).

1 Jared Odrick, Penn State, 3-4 DE
A stud opposite Ty Warren is needed. Mike Wright and Jarvis Green aren't a long-term solution. Enter Odrick, who has the size needed for 3-4 DE and has a motor that doesn't stop.

2 (TEN) Sean Lee, Penn State, ILB
Lee was a stud at PSU, following fellow alums Posluszny and Connor, to the NFL. He may be the most well rounded of the bunch. He isn't flashy but gets the job done in the rushing and passing game. Lee would be a nice young counterpart to Mayo.

2 (JAX) *Jahvid Best, California, RB
Best would be an absolute steal here for the Pats and would create competition in a loaded, yet unspectacular, pack of backs. Best's explosiveness makes him a return threat too.

2 Ciron Black, LSU, OT
Black was once considered a top 10 pick but has now faded to the late 2nd. A solid senior bowl and combine could raise his stock but the Pats would surely jump on him at this juncture. They could team him with Vollmer to have 2 solid young backup OTs.

4 Garrett Graham, Wisconsin, TE
[No explanation given]

Where are there pass rushers? This should be their first priority.

I seen this and don't like it.
We can do better.
Check Mayo's mock about 1 week ago on here..Great!

I loved Black at this point last year, but he's had a tough time since and doesn't seem like a fit for a line that relies on mobility and agility. His mate is much more refined and closer to our tastes.....

Wow, I hate that draft.

Figured I'd throw this out here.

Note that it's a computer-based system; they enter what they feel are the Patriots' needs, and the system selects the top-ranked player that fits those needs (unless they explicitly say player X is not a good fit for team Y's system).

1 Jared Odrick, Penn State, 3-4 DE
A stud opposite Ty Warren is needed. Mike Wright and Jarvis Green aren't a long-term solution. Enter Odrick, who has the size needed for 3-4 DE and has a motor that doesn't stop.

2 (TEN) Sean Lee, Penn State, ILB
Lee was a stud at PSU, following fellow alums Posluszny and Connor, to the NFL. He may be the most well rounded of the bunch. He isn't flashy but gets the job done in the rushing and passing game. Lee would be a nice young counterpart to Mayo.

2 (JAX) *Jahvid Best, California, RB
Best would be an absolute steal here for the Pats and would create competition in a loaded, yet unspectacular, pack of backs. Best's explosiveness makes him a return threat too.

2 Ciron Black, LSU, OT
Black was once considered a top 10 pick but has now faded to the late 2nd. A solid senior bowl and combine could raise his stock but the Pats would surely jump on him at this juncture. They could team him with Vollmer to have 2 solid young backup OTs.

4 Garrett Graham, Wisconsin, TE
[No explanation given]

There's a lot of problems with the drafttek simulations. First, they essentially match team needs (LB, DE, OT, WR, etc.) with player rankings without really considering whether the player is a good match for the team. Sean Lee, for example, is a terrible fit at LB for the 3-4 and for the Pats. Second, their rankings are our generally outdated and not very accurate. Ciron Black, for example, is ranked #68 on their big board. Black has falled tremendously this year, and will be lucky to be a mid round pick at this point. There are a dozen better prospects at OT. Plus, going back to the first problem, the Pats need interior held much more than OT help, so the Black pick makes little sense.

If you look at the Drafttek Big Board, there are players ranked absurdly low for where they would most likely go in the 2010 draft:

#58 Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St. - will likely be a top 20 prospect if he declares.
#61 Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland - an almost certain 1st rounder, possible top 15 pick. The idea of Campbell going after Ciron Black is ludicrous.
#79 Allen Bailey, DE/DT, Miami - he's said he's returning to school, but if he came out he would be a likely 1st round pick.
#88 Cabe Carimi, OT/OG, Wisconsin - a junior who may not come out, he would be a likely 2nd round pick if he declares
#101 Austen Lane, DE/OLB, Murray State - a likely 3rd round pick right now
#127 Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida - should go late 1st or 2nd round most likely; compares favorably to Dustin Keller
#139 Jeremy Beal, DE/OLB, Oklahoma - a probable 2nd/3rd round pick if he declares
#141 Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia - could go as early as the 2nd round if he declares
#192 Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU - will almost certainly go ahead of teammate Ciron Black if he declares, somewhere between the late 1st and early 3rd round
#205 Vladimir Ducasse, OT/OG, UMass - will likely go 2nd round, possibly sooner

So Drafttek's simulator listed the Pat's needs as 3-4 DE, LB, OL, RB, and TE. Assuming we took exactly those 5 positions with our 5 picks through round 4, we could still come up with a much better draft which fit the Pats' needs:

26 - Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St. (ranked #58, going #60 in this mock simulation). Jared Odrick is a borderline 1st/2nd round prospect, and is a Ty Warren kind of guy. Heyward could be another Richard Seymour. I would be thrilled to get him at #26.

43 - Greg Romeus, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh (ranked #47, going #68 in this mock simulation). A DE/OLB conversion with the length (6'5"), bulk (265#), speed (4.65) and skills that BB looks for. Strong against the run and rushing the passer, mobile enough to drop into coverage when needed.

44 - this pick could go any number of ways. Jahvid Best might actually be a reasonable choice here, if you believe that RB is a priority and that the Pats could use an all-purpose weapon like Best. The problem is, there are guys available much later like Noel Devine (#141, going 134) and Dexter McCluster (#123, going 131). We could use this pick on another defensive player like Eric Norwood, Jeremy Beal or Austen Lane, among others.

58 - I see an OG as a must here if not earlier. Mike Johnson (#80, going 83 in this mock), Gabe Carimi (#88, going 90 in this mock) and Vladimir Ducasse (#205, not going in the first 5 rounds in this mock) would all be options.

123 - If the Pats wanted to go TE, I would prefer Aaron Hernandez (#127, going 136 in this mock) or Dennis Pitta (#162, going 154 in this mock). I would personally prefer an OT like Joseph Barksdale or Jared Veldheer, or a RB like Noel Devine or Dexter McCluster here.

Something like DE Heyward, DE/OLB Romeus, RB Best, OG Carimi and TE Hernandez would be quite nice. I'd be quite content with that kind of draft, even though I probably would prefer another DE/OLB.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back