PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drafting a Kicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSUPatsFan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Personally, I would much rather draft a kicker than sign vanderjerk. One kicker in this draft that stands out to me is Stephen Gostkowski from Memphis. Over the last two years, he has made 42/49 kicks (85.71%). What stands out to me is during that time he is perfect between 40-49 yard field goals (13/13), which is where most kicks are from. For some reason 6 of his misses came from the 30-39 range (13/19), which doesn't make much sense to me. However, he is also 3/4 from 50+ yards. His longest kick was from 53 yards, so it seems that he has some leg for kickoffs.

What do you guys think. Should we go after this guy? Is there another guy in the draft we can pick up? What about an undrafted free agent? Or should we just go after Edinger?

Connor Hughes from Virginia is a good one too. He had a bad 17-24 as a Junior but in his other three seasons combined for 49-55. He is 5-8 from 50+ in his career , is 23-23 inside 30 and, quoting Pro Football Weekly, "has made some clutch kicks in his career and won games".

Its very rare that one needs to draft a kicker. If there's someone you REALLY want you might use a later pick on them.

With UFAs you have the luxury of trying out as many guys as you want and seeing how they do in pre-season game situations.

Its going to have to be a very special and sought after kicker to use a decent draft pick on.

Scifres's bro punts in the League and while he has been erratic at times he has the strongest leg in the draft. A leg that rivals Sebastian Janikowski's, though he doesn't have the baggage. He should be the guy if they are looking to draft AV's replacement...

last time i checked, fans can fall in love with UNdrafted kickers... it's just a kicker, dont waste a draft pick

PatsWorldChamps said:
last time i checked, fans can fall in love with UNdrafted kickers... it's just a kicker, dont waste a draft pick
I agree 100%. This is exactly what we did in the 7 round mock I just posted in the draft forum. Hint Hint.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of drafting kickers but if there's one we like there's nothing wrong with using a 6th or 7th rounder especially with the extra picks we have and a couple of expected 6th round comp picks that are untradeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye