PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Trade Chart of picks 24 and 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are trading down, and picking up a pick in 08, like when we traded to Bmore and they took Boller.

I think we are trading down, and picking up a pick in 08, like when we traded to Bmore and they took Boller.

That makes more sense given the relative strength of the Draft and the signings to this point.

If we do trade up the only player I could see us moving up for would be landry or possibly even a wide reciever(doubtful) but I expect we'll take atleast 2 corners between the 3rd and 5th round maybe and the usual mid to late round linemen. But I think this is the year we start grooming Rodney's heir.

to get Moss for the same draft position as Welker it would take the 24th pick (740 points) and the 91st pick (136 points) for the 33rd pick (580 points) it cost you 296 points of the equivalent of the 2nd round pick sent for Welker - the 61st overall

Although I do realize that the point of this thread is to ask the hypothetical - who would you pick at #8 I think it would be very interesting to see the same "value" comparison for rookie salaries from last year

I'm sure it will show that the rookie cap is way out of wack - Mario Williams got what, a 6 year $54 million contract last year as the Texans #1 pick and then the 2nd round #1 pick gets a 4 year $5 million contract.

I'm simplifying but basically by taking one player at #8 instad of two at #24 and #28 we;re getting one player for $40 million instead of two players for a total of probably no more than $15 million

The question then becomes, could a team, say in free agency, find better value with that $35 million than in the draft? I'd say yes, more so if you are actually drafting starters with the $15 mil you spend on the two late first round picks.

Again these are just guesstimates on the salaries and contracts of #8, #24 and #28 so if anyone has those from 2006 it would be interesting to see

Hypothetically, what if the pats were forced to trade the two picks to acquire Houston's #8 pick, who would you get and why?

Patrick Willis...

He would solidify the middle of that defense for years to come...:D

I think you are being very optimistic thinking the Pats will get a 3rd, 5th and 7th as comp pick. You are courting disappointment if you count on those. I think more likely a 5th and 2 7ths.... AND NO COMP PICKS FOR 2008 :D

Carriker.

Reading through the posts, I see a lot of people asking what the rationale for this post is. First of all, it's mostly about fun. I'm not actually for packaging two first round picks to move up. That's why I said it was "forced". I don't know what the reason would be to force us to trade up, but it is hypothetical.

Regarding the draft charts, apparently many in the NFL follow it as a guide ever since this was created by jimmy johnson. Not saying that its a bible or anything but at least a guide used by many nfl personnel.

Our Picks (My prediction)

1. #24 (Sea-D. Branch) 740
1. #28 660
2. #60 300
3. #92 132
4. #127 45
4. #136 (Comp) 38 (Givens)
6. #180 (Arz-B. Gorin) 19.4
6. #203 10.2
6. #212 (Comp) 6.6 (Ashworth)
6. #213 (Comp) 6.2 (Vinatieri)
7. #242 1
7. #253 (Comp) 1 (Davis, Fauria, Dwight or Chatham)

1959.4 Pts. on the 3000 scale

The picks we have are right in the range where Belichick and Pioli love to make selections. You are still getting a very high quality player, but at a much better price than a higher draft pick, and you can sign them for longer than a 2nd round pick (IIRC its 4 years for a 2nd rounder but 5 years for a first).

So I don't think we will trade at all. If BB & SP were to do a trade, it will be to trade down because they want a specific guy that isn't worth taking at one of the first round spots (Willis?), or we will trade for picks next year.

This chart is total nonsense, because it undervalues (ignores, really) the fact that higher draft picks get higher salaries.

Any team that trades a #8 for a #24 and #28 is getting a steal, and BB knows it. You will not see us trade up in this fashion (thank god).

I think that most of the draft charts in the media are now inaccurate due to the changes to the CBA and the changes to the price at the front of the draft. My guess is GMs have reformulated them to fit the new rules and money.

This chart is total nonsense, because it undervalues (ignores, really) the fact that higher draft picks get higher salaries.

Any team that trades a #8 for a #24 and #28 is getting a steal, and BB knows it. You will not see us trade up in this fashion (thank god).

Your point is well-taken and is why Bob Kraft has said repeatedly that the top picks in the draft are rarely economically sensible (tho I don't think i'd go so far as to call the chart "total nonsense," since it does try to rationalize an irrational process and is helpful once you get out of the stratosphere of the first dozen or so picks).

I agree that it would be inconsistent with just about everything the Pats have done over the last five years to package the picks and trade up for an expensive and risky investment lower in the first round. But, I do think that they are going to do something with one of the extra first round picks besides using it themselves on Draft Day. I know that the conventional wisdom is that they will use it to trade for, say, a Moss and that's a subject that's been discussed a lot out here over the last couplof days.

But, if the Pats feel they've eaten their full in Free Agency, I wouldn't be shocked to see them trade one of the first round picks "down" for higher picks this year and next, depending on their view on the rest of the draft. For example, if they don't see anything they need that they also think is worth First Round money on the board a couple of hours into the draft, they could trade for a pair of second round picks this year and next, getting the kind of economical players that Belichick is a genius at developing, especially if they've landed a Stallworth and/or have cut a long term deal with Asante.

since the pats made the move to sign wes welker and AT...do you think with the 28th pick, they'll trade out of the 1st round, and pick up a 2nd and maybe 3rd or 4th?

since the pats made the move to sign wes welker and AT...do you think with the 28th pick, they'll trade out of the 1st round, and pick up a 2nd and maybe 3rd or 4th?

It all depends on the view that their own internal evaluation system takes on the relative value of the remaining first round picks vis a vis their needs as draft day progresses.

Since the general assumption out here has been that, if they traded on draft day, they would trade for an earlier pick I just wanted to get the idea out for discussion that they might actually trade in the other direction.

I haven't read through most of the posts here except for the first page so maybe it's been mentioned later in the thread. And though I'd love for BB/SP to pull the trigger and trade up for Landry or Willis, I also think given the FA signings, this year is as good as any to employ the 'let the draft come them' strategy. Take the best player available at #21 and if teams come calling, trade the second first round pick and recoup the second rounder they forked up for Welker.

We have considered trading up to the top 10 in the last couple of years. I am not sure just where draft choices move from being uneconomic to being bargains. I suspect that those after the first 15 are definite bargains. However, now that the 11-14 can be signed for an extra year, their value increases.

Personally I would add value points to the end of the 1st round, since those players can be signed for an additional year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back