PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Theory - Mismatch at the Line of Scrimmage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you and Warren the Sapp are on the same page! :rofl:

You are being too literal, Russ Hochstein himself is not the mismatch. Russ Hochstein the Scarnecchia Academy graduate and Belichick vorpal blade plugs into the O-line and through the magic of blocking assignments and execution becomes a very effective if not dominating player. The mismatch is created by the organizational plan and training program, putting a street Free Agent/5th round draft pick into the NE O-line and beating some darned fine D-lines in playoff games.

A mismatch was created, but not by the player or the position except as a matter of dedication and execution of assignment. Which is essentially how you ended your thoughts. ;) We're in agreement podner!

I like and respect your posts but listing Russ Hochstein as a mismatch? Why not just say that every player who has ever worn a Pats uniform has created a mismatch. Your argument of mismatch is sliding towards flexibility which is a requisite for any later day or UDFA. They have to show flexibility just to make the roster and the Patriots seem to find ways to make the flexibility payoff.

It may be semantics but my idea of a mismatch is the ability physically dominant, either by strength, speed or other gifts. When I think of mismatch I envision Seymour, Peppers, Freeney, TO in his prime, LT, Orlando Pace, etc. Players who had to be accounted for on every snap. When properly harnessed these players are difference makers. These players are very rare, maybe 2-3 players per roster. Less than 10 per draft. The rest of the roster is made up of pawns who basically cancel each other out. It may be true that our field soldiers are better trained and equipped than the other armies we battle but I don't think it ties directly to the positions that are drafted. The league is so athletic that even the 6th and 7th rounders are tremendous athletes but not much different from one team to the next. All things being equal the difference comes down to; tactics and execution as well as coaching and QB play, luckily we have two of the best.

Yup, and I think they mostly draft for rotational starters/backups year one, who become full time starters in year two. That's why drafting two Safeties now becomes an even better option.

I'd rather draft two Safeties and have them develop in the system for one year, then when Wilson leaves and Rodney likely retires they'll already have a year in the system before having to take over. I don't like the idea of waiting until '08 for Safeties because some happen to think the '07 roster already has a lot of Safeties (most of which arent starting quality). This would mean throwing those '08 draftee's into the fire without any experience.
Okay, draft two safeties, I've allocated the top 20% of the Pats' draft picks to one theory, and actually given the 2nd 10% some additional freedom in what can be taken. Though I find myself in agreement with the Dread Pirate Heatster that some of the big CBs in later rounds would be adequate Free Safeties when priorities are weighed.

:)

I have no question that Sanders has the measurables to be a free safety. However, he was tried at free safety thisyear is several games this year. Perhaps it was a fluke, but he was aweful. Also, he was a nickel for several games last year.

Would you really rely on our ZERO free safeties signed for 2008 in order to give Sanders competition for Harrison's SS spot?
I'm working within the context of a brain fever or draft theory, I'm not sure which. Within that context, FS is devalued as a first round draft selection. The player needs to be so dominating that he impacts the run game at the line of scrimmage. Griffin is potent, but not dominating to that extent in the run. He is listed as a sure thing at 24, but note that our favorite Leonard and Kalil and Harrell all are ahead of him and all are hedged as choices if Carriker, Staley, and Lynch are not available. The strategy allows you to take a slightly less certain player at a greater position of need out of the secondary pool. Myself I'd take Leonard and probably Woodley, I'll settle for CB C.J. Wilson in the 6th as a potential FS...if the mass of DBs currently on roster wasn't enough.

Bump this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back