Reaction score
23 - aaron maybin
34 - ron brace....still on the board:english,sean smith, barwin
47 - william beatty
58 - louis delmas
89 - ILB gerald mcrath
97 - TE travis beckum.....cornelius ingram taken with next pick
124 - C AQ shipley....SS courtney greene still on the board

some good and bad in there.....I really like the maybin,beatty, and delmas picks..........the rest I would do as follows:

replace brace with jarron gilbert, clint sintim, or sean smith(barwin need goes down if we got maybin in round 1)

replace mcrath with alex magee if we didnt get gilbert.....otherwise replace him with

I have a feeling the pats will be trading their own 3rd rounder to move an earlier pick up to get someone the will have targeted.......

replace brace with jarron gilbert, clint sintim, or sean smith(barwin need goes down if we got maybin in round 1)

I'd rather have Barwin than Maybin, period.

23 - aaron maybin
47 - william beatty
58 - louis delmas
89 - ILB gerald mcrath

some good and bad in there.....I really like the maybin,beatty, and delmas picks..........the rest I would do as follows:

replace mcrath with alex magee if we didnt get gilbert.....otherwise replace him with

I have a feeling the pats will be trading their own 3rd rounder to move an earlier pick up to get someone the will have targeted.......

Maybin is young so I think that his upside is the reason for this pick as the kid does have skills. Brace is good but I would rather Sean Smith to fill a bigger need as we went with more of a wild card at #23.

Beatty at #47 is great value and being able to get Cornelius Ingram with a comp pick would not hurt. I think the longer he has to recover from his injury the better he will be. I really think by the start of the NFL season in 09 this guy is going to be ready to make his mark.

Overall I would not be that upset with this draft but there is always room for improvement, but that is why we are here:D

Last edited:
Maybin is young so I think that his upside is the reason for this pick as the kid does have skills. Brace is good but I would rather Sean Smith to fill a bigger need as we went with more of a wild card at #23.

Beatty at #47 is great value and being able to get Cornelius Ingram with a comp pick would not hurt. I think the longer he has to recover from his injury the better he will be. I really think by the start of the NFL season in 09 this guy is going to be ready to make his mark.

Overall I would not be that upset with this draft but there is always room for improvement, but that is why we are here:D
No, Drafttek is some fellows idea of a computer program picking a position instead of a "fit." Garbage in, garbage out strikes again.

23 - aaron maybin
47 - william beatty
58 - louis delmas
89 - ILB gerald mcrath

I agree with you about using the #89 pick to trade up. I also like the Beatty and Delmas picks, though I would be shocked if Beatty really lasts to #47 and Delmas to #58.

I'll take Barwin over Ron Brace at 34. With Barwin/Beatty/Delmas at 34, 47, and 58 I'd be in 7th heaven, though I can't believe it would actually happen.

Which leaves 23, plus a possible trade-up using #89. Who is available from 20 on up? (I'm at work and for some reason their site is blocked for me right now, so I can't see their actual draft). I would consider Maualuga or Robert Ayers, if they were available in that range. I'm not a Tyson Jackson fan, but many would consider him good value as well. My dream would be B.J. Raji, but there's no way he would fall to within trade-up range without cannabalizing the rest of our draft.

23 - aaron maybin
47 - william beatty
58 - louis delmas
89 - ILB gerald mcrath

I think it's an even better bet they'll move a pick or two for a first rounder next year and still get the talent needed for this year. See Mayo deal.

I think it's an even better bet they'll move a pick or two for a first rounder next year and still get the talent needed for this year. See Mayo deal.

possible.......but they have done both just as much (moved up for daniel graham and ty warren and moved to the following year for kyle boller and for joe staley)

I believe the targeting of specific players is the priority.......and when that don't happen, then they try to leverage value in future drafts.........

this year stands to be a good year for both since some serious talent stands to be there in round 2.......if the ones the pats want are their, they they go get 'em.......if not, then they parlay to the following year

Good players-though I do not think Beatty and Delmas will be around. I like Mcrath near rd 4-5.I think Beckum will go sooner. Don't forget-I still believe that Peppers or J. Taylor will be in New England soon. If Peppers is targeted and signed like I think-Pats will offer #34 and another pick. Panthers do not own a number one this year. For them #34 is a rd 1 selection. I do believe the Pats will move #34 regardless. Value-many clubs will want #34 to land in essence a late rd one player that could start. Possiblity-Josh Freeman- Connor Barwin-Kenny Britt-etc. Pat's can acquire a round one pick in 2010 for the 34th pick-They have dealt this way before.Or swap picks and receive another 5.

possible.......but they have done both just as much (moved up for daniel graham and ty warren and moved to the following year for kyle boller and for joe staley)

I believe the targeting of specific players is the priority.......and when that don't happen, then they try to leverage value in future drafts.........

this year stands to be a good year for both since some serious talent stands to be there in round 2.......if the ones the pats want are their, they they go get 'em.......if not, then they parlay to the following year

Lots of chips, lots of options no doubt. They could even draft with 2010 in mind more than we think they will by taking a top five DE, NT or TE. Tyson Jackson could be the player they move up for to address one of those possible needs in 2010. Ingram or Cook could be had later to set up the TE spot and Brace is another possibility as you point out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down