PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBaronPatriot

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
It's interesting to see how depth has affected our drafts
Look at all the guys we cut this year, anybody below the 3rd round is expendable

Our strategy in the past has been to stock pile picks and get lots of youth for cheap, but now, it seems we draft and treat them as free agents almost, use the draft for a tryout and then cut them since we are so deep.
I have no issues with this since it brings a better overall product to the field/we are a better team

Based on that... could/should we not package picks and move up and hit targets, and walk away with 3-4 guys that we know SHOULD make the team verses 1-2 guys that will make it and 5-6 that are in for a try out?

thoughts?

Your "1-2 guys that will make it and 5-6 that are in for a try out" numbers are a little off as we currently have 4 picks in the first three rounds and all of them should be guys we legitimately like.

Regardless . . . I can see both sides. I love the idea of a Super Bowl caliber team being able to add a stud - we've seen what a difference a real talent like Moss makes - but it's not hard to find a list of positions we could use help at :

(in no order)
WR - assuming we keep Moss, depending on if we keep Stallworth and how Jackson looks.
OT - Kaczur's the best we have at RT and he's just OK.
ILB - Thomas and old guys.
OLB - We could save about $5M by replacing Colvin at OLB with Thomas. I love Colvin, just saying.
CB - Samuel, Gay are UFA.
S - Still not settled long term unless you believe in Sanders/Meriweather.

The problem with trading away all your low draft picks is that they're worth so little. For example if the Patriots packaged up all their draft picks from rounds 4-7 (assuming they pick near the bottom in each one) do you know what their TOTAL value would be? Somewhere around a high fourth rounder. So what would you prefer - one high fourth rounder or one pick in each of rounds four, five, six and seven? Even if they threw in both their third rounders it would only take them up to the middle of the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots