Welcome to PatsFans.com

Draft starts at 4pm???

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by eternal, Apr 23, 2009.

1. eternal

eternal Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

#75 Jersey

I got an email from patriots.com stating that the draft starts at 4, then 10am on Sunday. Hasn't it always started at noon? Why the change? This doesn't seem fair to the teams. The second round probably won't end until 11pm or later, then the coaches "have to" give a press conference, then get up early the next morning to do another 5 rounds.

Why not just start the draft at 12 like every other year. I don't see where there was a problem with that. I am going to take a wild guess and say that this was Goddell's idea, and thought it would be "good" for the league, and thats what the "fans" want. If so, this guy is clueless. I can't see any possible benefit of starting the draft that late. Am I missing something here??

2. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

They changed it to get prime time coverage. It blows, since there's no way in hell I'll watch or listen to draft coverage on a Saturday night. Sunday might be interesting, though.

3. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +34 / 3 / -2

#80 Jersey

I like it. Gives me a reason to be out partying at the sports bar. :eat3:

4. mcsully

mcsully In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

I second that :)

5. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +811 / 1 / -3

It used to be at noon but it was 3:00 last year as I recall. The public poition is 'to make it more enjoyable for all (i.e., west coast) fans, but the reality is it is to push it in to primetime, with higher advertising rates.

6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

I am working till 7 will DVR the NFLN coverage and FF to get to real time, stopping whenever a Pats logo flashes

7. TealSox

TealSox Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Late start time annoys me. Do they plan on getting more revenue from commercials? On the positive side, the Pats can go back and better evaluate the first two rounds so as to maximize their third round picks.

8. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +672 / 53 / -21

So you think it was fair for West Coast teams to get up at 4 in the morning to be ready for a 9AM start. The coverage 3 hours before the draft started at 6AM! And you think that it is a hardship for team personnel to stay up past 11PM!!! OMG :)

9. eternal

eternal Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

#75 Jersey

All teams should be ready for the draft now! If it starts at noon (9am pacific), the WC teams shouldn't have any reason to wake up at 4 to be ready. It's a good point though, I hadn't thought of that.