PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Rumors

How about Fiedorowicz being the 2nd TE off the board and being a late first rounder? Doesn't have many weaknesses in his game - the one weakness I can think of is technique so can be coached out of him (jammed too easily at the LOS at times).

With his athleticism, size, soft hands and blocking ability I wouldn't be surprised if teams saw that and put his numbers last year down to poor QB play thus ranking him much higher than the media do.

I did not say Mallet was a bust, I said he was a waste of a pick becuase they used a third round pick on a guy who they hoped that they would be able to turn into a higher draft pick and it does not seem likely that they will be able to do that at this point. I liked gambling on the pick and seeing if they could develop Mallet and turn him into a net gain but it did not work, I don't think its Mallets fault or that he is necessarily a bad QB but in retrospect I wish they had taken a player that could have helped them more.

The back up QB is an insurance policy, and it helps to have a good one but you still don't want to have to use them. Had Mallett had the chance and played poorly and diminished his value I would agree that he didn't pan out but when he never gets the chance to see the field, which is what we really want, then it can't be held against him or the team.If some team offers a 2nd for him then they should take it and find a replacement otherwise I am fine with him returning as Brady's back-up and really think that having a back up QB you are comfortable with for 4 years is a good 3rd round pick and not a waste of one.

Last edited:
Interesting that Mark Dominik is saying that JuWuan James is a first round lock and the Miami Herald is saying that James is on the Dolphins' board as a first rounder. Would be very happy for James to push someone else down.

I tell you, there are going to be some really interesting names slipping.

I agree completely and it is going to be even more apparent in the 2nd round this year. The volatility of the QB position alone is going to make the first round well worth watching, no matter how slow and painful that is, especially knowing that the Patriots will do everything they can to get out of it when all is said and done.

How about Fiedorowicz being the 2nd TE off the board and being a late first rounder? Doesn't have many weaknesses in his game - the one weakness I can think of is technique so can be coached out of him (jammed too easily at the LOS at times).

With his athleticism, size, soft hands and blocking ability I wouldn't be surprised if teams saw that and put his numbers last year down to poor QB play thus ranking him much higher than the media do.

If it means Sefarian-Jenkins is there when the Patriots pick i am all for it.

If it means Sefarian-Jenkins is there when the Patriots pick i am all for it.

I think you should keep a extra eye on Packers pick... They might take Shazier or ASJ at #21

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php#asj0425

Austin Seferian-Jenkins Interviews Poorly; Could Fall to Round 3

Updated April 25, 2014
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

We've reached out to sources around the NFL over the past couple of weeks to see where they were projecting Washington tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Some pundits have opined that Seferian-Jenkins could sneak into the end of the first round. However after checking with multiple teams, every team stated that they have Seferian-Jenkins going in the second round. They also said that Seferian-Jenkins could slide into the third round.

The reason for Seferian-Jenkins falling on draft weekend is poor interviews with teams. Seferian-Jenkins had some off-the-field concerns entering the draft process after a DUI arrest last year. He was suspended for the season opener because of that incident. A foot injury prevented Seferian-Jenkins from working out for teams at the Washington pro day.

With tough questions about his off-the-field issues, Seferian-Jenkins hasn't impressed teams. Conversely, other players that have had similar concerns (Jeremy Hill) and on-the-field performance problems (Logan Thomas) were able to make a good impression on teams with their accountability.

We've spoken with teams selecting early in the second round that need help at tight end, and they said they won't be drafting Seferian-Jenkins because of his personal makeup. They like him as a player and believe he is a first-round talent, but with his off-the-field concerns, they plan on passing on him.

There are plenty of teams that could use a tight end picking in the back half of the second round, so Seferian-Jenkins stands a chance of avoiding falling out of the top 64 picks. However, it sounds like Seferian-Jenkins hasn't interviewed well enough to prevent every team from passing on him in Round 2.

We've spoken with teams selecting early in the second round that need help at tight end, and they said they won't be drafting Seferian-Jenkins because of his personal makeup.

That's in line with the earlier comments about him being a "pain in the ass." Boy, did C.J. Fiedorowicz ever choose a good year to enter the draft.

Last edited:
I think you should keep a extra eye on Packers pick... They might take Shazier or ASJ at #21

Despite the interview reports I think Sefarian-Jenkins goes in the first because of need and talent, and there is a real chance he is gone when the Patriots pick.

Despite the interview reports I think Sefarian-Jenkins goes in the first because of need and talent, and there is a real chance he is gone when the Patriots pick.

ASJ doesn't probably realize it yet, but there are probably a dozen or so Private Investigators, aka "researchers" following him everywhere, and will be right up to draft day.

The back up QB is an insurance policy, and it helps to have a good one but you still don't want to have to use them. Had Mallett had the chance and played poorly and diminished his value I would agree that he didn't pan out but when he never gets the chance to see the field, which is what we really want, then it can't be held against him or the team.If some team offers a 2nd for him then they should take it and find a replacement otherwise I am fine with him returning as Brady's back-up and really think that having a back up QB you are comfortable with for 4 years is a good 3rd round pick and not a waste of one.
I don't hold it against him at all and you are right you cannot hold it against him or the team. I do not expect they will be able to get anything for him and I would also like to see the patriots try and resign him to another deal, but I expect he will want to go somewhere that he will get the chance to start. I just think that the third round pick is a bit rich, but I think I like it better if they resign him.

I am not for drafting Savage either; personally, I think that 2014 is too soon to draft the heir apparent to Brady. Where we disagree is with the belief that Mallett was a waste, the reality is that Mallett has been this teams backup QB for two seasons, and its third QB in 2011. The Patriots could trade him this offseason and get a draft pick or they could use him as the backup for one more season and then let him walk in UFA and they are likely to receive a compensatory pick for him. They will end up with 3-4 years of having a good backup QB and some type of draft pick at the end of the Mallett era. That in my opinion makes Mallett a great draft pick.
Waste is probably harsh, but I think the Pats were hoping they would be able to trade Mallet for a higher pick and they were not able to do so, I liked the gamble it just did not work but maybe they are happy with four years of a backup.

Waste is probably harsh, but I think the Pats were hoping they would be able to trade Mallet for a higher pick and they were not able to do so, I liked the gamble it just did not work but maybe they are happy with four years of a backup.
It is hard to assess Mallett at this time. For the first four years of Julian Edelman’s career most thought, he was a JAG end of the roster type ST Player primarily because he was backing up the best slot receiver in the game and seldom saw the field. When he had the opportunity in 2013, he flourished. The reality is that even if Mallett the second best QB in the NFL and he still would not be on the field because he is backing up the best QB in the NFL.

I think that Mallett has shown well in the preseason and improved consistently over his first three seasons, I think that Belichick thinks highly of him and has praised him to the media on several occasions, which means something to me. Belichick does not praise just anyone. Mallett was drafted and beat out Brian Hoyer within one season for the backup spot, the team has been able to run with two QBs instead of three because of their confidence in Mallett, I really do not think he has disappointed the team at all.

If the Pats draft a TE, and I fully expect them to, I would think it's CJ Fiedorowitz. Belichick loves Kirk Ferentz coached players.

If I were the Texans, I would trade #1 to the Falcons for #6, #37, and a 2015 first round pick, take Khali Mack at #6, make a selection with #33, and trade #37 to the Patriots for Mallett.

The only way I could see Mallett going to the Texans is if they decide to totally ignore the prospects coming out of the draft and decide to make a trade for Mallett instead.

That would be a very ballsy call for first year coach Bill O'Brien. They've already invested all of Case Keenum, TJ Yates, and Ryan Fitzpatrick at the "backup/journeyman" position, so unless they significantly see Mallett as some kind of huge upgrade over ALL 3 of those guys, I just don't see it happening.

At least all of those three QBs have actual NFL starting experience. While Mallett may/may not have a higher upside than all 3 of them, I just can't see how anyone can honestly see him as something that stands out far enough apart from those 3 players to warrant passing on a higher round QB in the draft.

Unless they're planning on having the biggest collection in the NFL for journeyman backups/guys who can start in a pinch QBs, I just don't see Mallett offering anything different enough to pass on a potential franchise QB. O'Brien would be placing a pretty big target on his head by making such an odd move in my opinion.

I heard on NFL Network that the Texans have shortened their list and will either take Jadeveon Clowney or Johnny Manziel with the first pick.

Belichick has shown that he's not afraid to spend a 3rd round pick on the backup position, with the 2008 selection of Kevin O'Connell, and the 2011 selection of Ryan Mallett.

The QB position/backup QB position is the most important on our team, especially in such a complex system. To ignore the prospect of backup QB as some would seem to suggest seems strange to me.

We've built a strong and future forward enough team to still be sitting in a position of luxury when it comes to the entire draft. We have 5 selections in the first 4 rounds this year, with the high majority of our starting lineup already set. I would actually be surprised if he didn't choose one of the known prospects in the middle rounds for QB.

As far as the thought that he selected Mallett to somehow "flip" him for a higher pick, that was nothing more than a media created story. Not once was there any indication of that. I'm sure Belichick would be more than happy to spend a 3rd or 4th round pick every four years, knowing that the position of backup QB is covered properly enough.

I heard on NFL Network that the Texans have shortened their list and will either take Jadeveon Clowney or Johnny Manziel with the first pick.

Nope...They're going to select Mallett, and add him to the list of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, TJ Yates, and whatever new QB they're taking in the top 2-3 rounds of the draft, thus giving them FIVE backup/journeyman caliber QBs who can start a few games when needed.

When it comes time for practice, hours will be spent every day just trying to single out their depth chart, and they'll totally re-invent the game as we know it. Within the first few games of the season, all 5 QBs will see the field at the same time, thus taking away any need for other skill position players. Mallett will go on to set records as their new TE, and a high group of posters will have claimed to know his potential at the position all along, while claiming that Belichick just never got the opportunity to use his trick weapon in a live game setting.

If the Pats draft a TE, and I fully expect them to, I would think it's CJ Fiedorowitz. Belichick loves Kirk Ferentz coached players.

But how many of them has he actually drafted?

We've built a strong and future forward enough team to still be sitting in a position of luxury when it comes to the entire draft. We have 5 selections in the first 4 rounds this year, with the high majority of our starting lineup already set. I would actually be surprised if he didn't choose one of the known prospects in the middle rounds for QB.

I expect the Pats will draft a QB, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just signed two or three seventh-rounders/UDFAs, either.

I expect the Pats will draft a QB, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just signed two or three seventh-rounders/UDFAs, either.

I certainly wouldn't be shocked either way, so maybe "surprised" is a bit of a stretch, but I do disagree with the thought that we somehow have so many pressing needs that the pick would be wasted, should it occur in the 4th round or so.

That would still give us 4 other selections in the first 4 rounds to address the positions of want/need. As we know, there weren't any experts who predicted a 4th round comp pick. They all had it much, much lower in the 6th round or so. The possibility exists that BB will spend that pick on one of the better prospects (top 6-8-10) at the position of QB. After all, it certainly wouldn't be "wasted" if we covered our asses through March of 2019, with the possibility of having a decently talented player learn under Brady (and Mallett for his last year here).

I suppose that all depends on how much Belichick values the position of backup QB, but I tend to believe that he views it as important myself. I also don't see him worrying that much about spending a 4th round pick, but that all depends on a lot of variables that will play out that weekend.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back