PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Rumors

Meatface - You made a claim about Savage and were proven wrong. You claimed he had no real success anywhere he'd been. That was false. I showed you that he had success as a true freshman and as a sophomore (4 games) at Rutgers and then I showed you that he had some personal success at Pitt where he put up good numbers despite having a mediocre team around him. Facts seem to be something you don't like.

Mallett was a waste of a pick as a 3rd rounder? WOW.

As for being "angry", dude, if I was "angry" you'd know it because I'd blast you. My response had no anger in it what so ever. You aren't worth that type of energy.
I kind of think a player who never plays and leaves after his fourth year is a waste of a pick, if Jake Bequette stays on the roster for his whole deal but never does anything then wouldn't you think he was a bust, why would Mallet be different? I got the idea of why they drafted Mallet but they were never able to turn him into another draft pick and while their is till time I really doubt that they will be able to get a second round pick for him anytime soon.

Last edited:
Meatface - You made a claim about Savage and were proven wrong. You claimed he had no real success anywhere he'd been. That was false. I showed you that he had success as a true freshman and as a sophomore (4 games) at Rutgers and then I showed you that he had some personal success at Pitt where he put up good numbers despite having a mediocre team around him. Facts seem to be something you don't like.
I think I actually said that his biggest success was five years ago and that I did not want the Patriots to use a decent draft pick on Savage, because I viewed his "success" as mediocre, you have a different opinion and that's fine, we will just have to wait and see how Savage does in the NFL.

this is the silly season. For some reason teams and "independent scouts" will be floating all kinds of rumors hoping that some teams will believe them. 99.9/10 should not be believed but believe them if you want.

The guy has played in three different programs and there are other guys with better upside. I don't know why so many teams are ignoring the top QB's and trying to bank on these upside guys in the later rounds, Savage has had no real success anywhere he has been.

I think I actually said that his biggest success was five years ago and that I did not want the Patriots to use a decent draft pick on Savage, because I viewed his "success" as mediocre, you have a different opinion and that's fine, we will just have to wait and see how Savage does in the NFL.

The bolded/underlined/italics part is exactly what you said. You said he had no real success ANYWHERE. I posted things that showed you to be wrong. Since then, you've made excuse after excuse to try and worm your way out of admitting that you didn't know what you were talking about.

You also made claims that just aren't true when you said that so many teams are ignoring the top QBs. Most teams have done plenty of homework on the top QBs already.

I suggested that you stop while you were behind and all you have done is dig a deeper hole for yourself.

The bolded/underlined/italics part is exactly what you said. You said he had no real success ANYWHERE. I posted things that showed you to be wrong. Since then, you've made excuse after excuse to try and worm your way out of admitting that you didn't know what you were talking about.

You also made claims that just aren't true when you said that so many teams are ignoring the top QBs. Most teams have done plenty of homework on the top QBs already.

I suggested that you stop while you were behind and all you have done is dig a deeper hole for yourself.
I am referring to players like Brdigewater supposedly falling and scouts for some reason loving players like Savage both of whom play in a pro style offense and for some reason the mediocre numbers of Savage have been dismissed and people are singing his praises while criticizing the better QB in Bridgewater, I just find it crazy that someone like Savage could go before players who are just plain better. Again I could be totally wrong and Savage could be amazing but it seems unlikely and nothing about him seems to say that he will be successful, you can definitely make the argument that he has not been able to come into his potential due to having transferred to Arizona and then to Pitt but I think a player has to show something before I would think of him as a guy I would want to take early in the draft. You and I disagree and that's okay, don't get so butthurt about it.

I kind of think a player who never plays and leaves after his fourth year is a waste of a pick, if Jake Bequette stays on the roster for his whole deal but never does anything then wouldn't you think he was a bust, why would Mallet be different? I got the idea of why they drafted Mallet but they were never able to turn him into another draft pick and while their is till time I really doubt that they will be able to get a second round pick for him anytime soon.
I wouldn't throw that blanket statement out there this early in the process. I believe the chances of getting a 2nd for him go down after May 9th, but QB's still get hurt in the pre-season as well and teams get desperate. I'm more for taking the cautious wait-and-see approach.

Just because we haven't unloaded him yet doesn't mean it still can't happen.

Definitely a possibility we trade Mallet but I won't lean on it until it happens. BB won't trade him unless he likes what he is getting in return.

Two more rumors:

1. Pats are interested in Kyle Van Noy

2. 49ers want to trade up for Mike Evans

more rumors:

I can definitely see why the 49ers would be interested in Evans opposite Crabtree. That would be a huge steal if they could pull that off.

Comparing a player that has every opportunity to get on the field to one that has to sit behind the GOAT makes absolutely no sense at all. If Brady were to get hurt and Mallett was unable to play well enough to take over the job then you would have a point but short of that he is an insurance policy. At this point Bequette is a bust but there is no way Mallett can be considered the same. Back-up QB's usually get a chance to show if they can play but we have been fortunate and Brady has been really durable so Mallett has never had any chance to show teams he is worth them trading a high pick for, again that isn't his fault in any way

Last edited:
Comparing a player that has every opportunity to get on the field to one that has to sit behind the GOAT makes absolutely no sense at all. If Brady were to get hurt and Mallett was unable to play well enough to take over the job then you would have a point but short of that he is an insurance policy. At this point Bequette is a bust but there is no way Mallett can be considered the same.

Totally agree. Is auto insurance a failed, misguided purchase if you don't have any accidents?

Given that Brady has stayed healthy, beating out a solid player like Hoyer to be the sole backup QB is everything you could ask of Mallett.

I can definitely see why the 49ers would be interested in Evans opposite Crabtree. That would be a huge steal if they could pull that off.

And the 49ers have the picks to move around if they want to.

Kyle Van Noy, IMO would be a great addition to the LB corp. However, If both Shazier and Van Noy are available when the Patriots pick.... who's name would you rather hear called?

Definitely a possibility we trade Mallet but I won't lean on it until it happens. BB won't trade him unless he likes what he is getting in return.

Two more rumors:

I can see the Patriots taking Van Noy in the 2nd but they won't use a first on him.

I think the 49ers would be better off either taking Sefarian-Jenkins or moving up for Ebron than taking Evans. A really good two TE offense is going to give them a much better chance of beating Seattle than a big WR who is going to need time to get open will.

Kyle Van Noy, IMO would be a great addition to the LB corp. However, If both Shazier and Van Noy are available when the Patriots pick.... who's name would you rather hear called?

It isn't even a question to me, Shazier every time.

Shazier and its not even close...

Comparing a player that has every opportunity to get on the field to one that has to sit behind the GOAT makes absolutely no sense at all. If Brady were to get hurt and Mallett was unable to play well enough to take over the job then you would have a point but short of that he is an insurance policy. At this point Bequette is a bust but there is no way Mallett can be considered the same. Back-up QB's usually get a chance to show if they can play but we have been fortunate and Brady has been really durable so Mallett has never had any chance to show teams he is worth them trading a high pick for, again that isn't his fault in any way
I did not say Mallet was a bust, I said he was a waste of a pick becuase they used a third round pick on a guy who they hoped that they would be able to turn into a higher draft pick and it does not seem likely that they will be able to do that at this point. I liked gambling on the pick and seeing if they could develop Mallet and turn him into a net gain but it did not work, I don't think its Mallets fault or that he is necessarily a bad QB but in retrospect I wish they had taken a player that could have helped them more.

I did not say Mallet was a bust, I said he was a waste of a pick becuase they used a third round pick on a guy who they hoped that they would be able to turn into a higher draft pick and it does not seem likely that they will be able to do that at this point. I liked gambling on the pick and seeing if they could develop Mallet and turn him into a net gain but it did not work, I don't think its Mallets fault or that he is necessarily a bad QB but in retrospect I wish they had taken a player that could have helped them more.

I bet you thought that Damon Huard was a wasted signing by Belichick as well. :rolleyes:

Listen, it's clear that there are things you are over-looking. Do you understand who runs the "Scout Team" offense during practices to help the defense prepare for the opposing team? Many times it's the Back-up QB. You are probably too young to know this, but Damon Huard got the game ball when the Pats beat Manning in the AFCCG because of Huard's work imitating Manning during the practices. Others have gotten the game ball for imitating other players as well during practice. It's not always about what WE, as fans, see. It's about what the coaching staff sees.

Furthermore, I can guarantee you that the Pats didn't take Mallett with the intentions of turning him into a higher draft pick. They took him with the intention of him being a player for the team. Having someone who would develop and take over as the back-up and be ready if 2008 repeated itself or if something went awry with relationship between Brady and the Pats. Getting a higher draft pick for Mallett would just be a bonus for them.

People said the same thing about Marquis Hill. That he was a bust. Yet they over-looked the fact that he had 2 Pro-Bowlers at DE and another guy who was very good in Green sitting ahead of him. Furthermore, Everyone on the team at the time mentioned how hard Hill worked in practice to help everyone get ready for the next game. They flat out said he made them better. It's one of the reasons they sealed off his locker that year. Not sure if it's still there or if it was moved over to the Hall or not..

Interesting that Mark Dominik is saying that JuWuan James is a first round lock and the Miami Herald is saying that James is on the Dolphins' board as a first rounder. Would be very happy for James to push someone else down.

I tell you, there are going to be some really interesting names slipping.

never said anything about his age, its just that 2009 was in fact 5 years ago. Even a third round pick is a waste as it was with Mallet, I just do not see the point in drafting a player like Savage with anything resembling a pick that has value. And don't get so angry I am not talking about you here, I am talking about a football team of which you nor I have any control over and how a QB prospect relates to them, chill.

I am not for drafting Savage either; personally, I think that 2014 is too soon to draft the heir apparent to Brady. Where we disagree is with the belief that Mallett was a waste, the reality is that Mallett has been this teams backup QB for two seasons, and its third QB in 2011. The Patriots could trade him this offseason and get a draft pick or they could use him as the backup for one more season and then let him walk in UFA and they are likely to receive a compensatory pick for him. They will end up with 3-4 years of having a good backup QB and some type of draft pick at the end of the Mallett era. That in my opinion makes Mallett a great draft pick.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back