PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Rumors

Schefter is usually right on target. If one of the quarterbacks doesn't go to Jacksonville at 3 or Cleveland at 4, I'm wondering how far they will fall. Minnesota is always a possibility at 8 but if they don't take one, unless a potential trade up for one, the first round will become even more interesting!!!!

From Tony Pauline

@TonyPauline: Patriots very high on Tom Savage/QB/Pittsburgh with some referring to him as "Tom #2"..

Savage has quite a bit of starter upside but he's not there yet and can be a bit erratic. There is a Rutgers connection though and Schiano knows him.

From Tony Pauline

Savage has quite a bit of starter upside but he's not there yet and can be a bit erratic. There is a Rutgers connection though and Schiano knows him.

The guy has played in three different programs and there are other guys with better upside. I don't know why so many teams are ignoring the top QB's and trying to bank on these upside guys in the later rounds, Savage has had no real success anywhere he has been.

More on the Savage rumour and also Patriots interest in Richard Rodgers (TE, Cal)

The talk of the quarterback position the past few weeks has centered around Tom Savageof Pittsburgh. So what’s the inside story? Ever since the combine I’ve known the New England Patriots have been incredibly high on Savage and will consider using a pick to acquire the signal caller during the draft. Some in the organization are now referring to Savage as “Tom #2”, with Tom #1 of course being Tom Brady. I’m told Savage impressed the franchise during combine interviews, especially when former Rutgers head coach Greg Schiano was on hand. Evidently Savage took responsibility for the 2011 situation when he left the Rutgers football program, which was then headed by Schiano. Both the Patriots and Schiano were impressed by Savage’s maturity in discussing his departure. Teams who’ve studied tape on Savage from last season broke it into halves and feel the second half of the campaign, when the signal caller lessened his mistakes and improved his accuracy, is the next level prospect they can build upon.

The New England Patriots have been closely inspecting tight ends in the lead up to the draft and a namefans of the team should keep an eye on is Richard Rodgers. The Cal tight end has worked out for the Patriots, Atlanta Falcons and Oakland Raiders. Teams are using Rodgers father, Carolina Panthers special teams coordinator Richard Rodgers Sr., as a source of information on the tight end prospect.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=9646

The guy has played in three different programs and there are other guys with better upside. I don't know why so many teams are ignoring the top QB's and trying to bank on these upside guys in the later rounds, Savage has had no real success anywhere he has been.

You must have been out on vacation or just started following the draft in the last 3 days.. No one is ignoring the "top QBs and trying to bank on these upside guys in the later rounds". I truly don't understnad that claim and has no basis in reality.

Furthermore, the knock on Brady coming out was that he couldn't keep the starting job at Michigan and that's why he fell. Yet, all he ever did there was win. The problem is that players get a stigma attached to them and people can't be bothered to look at things for themselves.

9 wins as a true freshman at Rutgers is having no real success??? HUH??? Savage was 7-6 as a starter at Pitt after not having played for 2 years. He had a 61.2% completion percentage and a 21-9 TD to Int Ratio. But, yeah.. Savage had no real success.. :rolleyes:

All these rumors of QB dropping like fly disappoint me for 2 reasons. First this isn't the year for the Pats to draft a "replacement". TB has 3 more years left on his contract and is likely to play it all out. Any QB drafted his year is going to sit for 3 of them. Not good value. Second, the more QB''s drafted early, the better the draft pick will be. I want all 5 of the top QB's to go before the Pats pick at 29, and so should you.

In fact if a combination of 15 QB's OT'sand WR's go before the Pats pick. It will mean they'll get a shot at the 14th best player in a position they can actually use.

You must have been out on vacation or just started following the draft in the last 3 days.. No one is ignoring the "top QBs and trying to bank on these upside guys in the later rounds". I truly don't understnad that claim and has no basis in reality.

Furthermore, the knock on Brady coming out was that he couldn't keep the starting job at Michigan and that's why he fell. Yet, all he ever did there was win. The problem is that players get a stigma attached to them and people can't be bothered to look at things for themselves.

9 wins as a true freshman at Rutgers is having no real success??? HUH??? Savage was 7-6 as a starter at Pitt after not having played for 2 years. He had a 61.2% completion percentage and a 21-9 TD to Int Ratio. But, yeah.. Savage had no real success.. :rolleyes:
if Savage had won at Pitt then sure we can talk but he went 7-6 with mediocre numbers, I do not see how his stats from five years ago really play into what he can do in the NFL. People just fall in love with these guys who have strong arms and Savage is a project who will likely need a few years to develop with a good QB coach and so anyone taking him with something more than a third day pick is a bad idea.

All these rumors of QB dropping like fly disappoint me for 2 reasons. First this isn't the year for the Pats to draft a "replacement". TB has 3 more years left on his contract and is likely to play it all out. Any QB drafted his year is going to sit for 3 of them. Not good value. Second, the more QB''s drafted early, the better the draft pick will be. I want all 5 of the top QB's to go before the Pats pick at 29, and so should you.

In fact if a combination of 15 QB's OT'sand WR's go before the Pats pick. It will mean they'll get a shot at the 14th best player in a position they can actually use.

I agree that the more Wr's, OT's and QB's taken before us means that more players will drop at the positions that we desire. The one interesting thing though is if the QB's really drop, we might have some teams that want to trade up to 29 to select one, giving us the opportunity to trade back and potentially get a few more picks in this deep draft. Just another thought. Now, if one of the top d-lineman, shazier or pryor are still there and we are offered a trade down, that would be a tough decision. Really getting excited for the draft!!!!

The one guy that really seems to be really dropping is Bridgewater. I recently saw a mock that didn't even have him going in the first round.

I like Savage as a prospect and wouldn't mind drafting him, but have a few questions about him.

Brady sat behind Brian Griese and split time with Drew Henson at Michigan but he did not transfer. Cassel never started at USC and sat behind two Heisman winners (Carson Palmer/Matt Leinart) but he did not transfer. Mallett played at Michigan but then transferred to Arkansas when it was apparent he wasn't a fit for Rich Rodriguez's scheme...the same thing Savage did when he transferred from Arizona to Pittsburgh.

Savage transferring from Arizona because of a scheme misfit doesn't bother me as much as the original transfer from Rutgers when he lost his starting job to a freshman.

Now, Savage saw some error in his judgement and tried to transfer back to Rutgers, but the NCAA denied his hardship waiver. After the NCAA's denial, Savage decided to finish his collegiate eligibility at Pitt.

I'm sure Belichick will have more information than I do with Savage's personal interviews and his friend Greg Schiano's knowledge since he was Rutgers head coach at the time when Savage originally transferred.

However, Savage will be turning 24 this week on April 26. He will only be about two years younger than Mallett(currently 25 and will turn 26 on June 26th), but without Mallett's 3 years of NFL experience.

In my opinion, the multiple transfers, age, and inconsistent gameplay flags outweighs Savage's physical tools and growth potential (with more gameplay experience) than the +3rd round or higher selection that Savage currently warrants due to this sudden meteoric rise of his draft stock.

if Savage had won at Pitt then sure we can talk but he went 7-6 with mediocre numbers, I do not see how his stats from five years ago really play into what he can do in the NFL. People just fall in love with these guys who have strong arms and Savage is a project who will likely need a few years to develop with a good QB coach and so anyone taking him with something more than a third day pick is a bad idea.

Do yourself a favor and quit while your behind because you only are showing your ignorance. His college stats matter, period. No one is "falling in love" with the guy just because of his arm. It's because he played in 2 Pro-style offenses while in college and did well. See, what you FAIL at is understanding that he didn't have much around him at Pitt. So your claims that he was mediocre when his personal stats show otherwise show you don't know what you are talking about.

If you did ANY sort of research at all, you'd know that he admitted to making a mistake transferring from Rutgers as a sophomore. That shows maturity. Furthermore, the 2nd transfer was a GOOD thing for him because it kept him out of an spread offense that was not to his strengths. I know that is something you don't understand and clearly hold against him. His age? WOW. He's 24.. It's not like he was 28 like Weeden when he was drafted.

No one on this board is talking about Savage as a potential pick outside of the 3rd round for the Pats. Not sure why you have such an issue, but it's clearly your issue.

Do yourself a favor and quit while your behind because you only are showing your ignorance. His college stats matter, period. No one is "falling in love" with the guy just because of his arm. It's because he played in 2 Pro-style offenses while in college and did well. See, what you FAIL at is understanding that he didn't have much around him at Pitt. So your claims that he was mediocre when his personal stats show otherwise show you don't know what you are talking about.

If you did ANY sort of research at all, you'd know that he admitted to making a mistake transferring from Rutgers as a sophomore. That shows maturity. Furthermore, the 2nd transfer was a GOOD thing for him because it kept him out of an spread offense that was not to his strengths. I know that is something you don't understand and clearly hold against him. His age? WOW. He's 24.. It's not like he was 28 like Weeden when he was drafted.

No one on this board is talking about Savage as a potential pick outside of the 3rd round for the Pats. Not sure why you have such an issue, but it's clearly your issue.
never said anything about his age, its just that 2009 was in fact 5 years ago. Even a third round pick is a waste as it was with Mallet, I just do not see the point in drafting a player like Savage with anything resembling a pick that has value. And don't get so angry I am not talking about you here, I am talking about a football team of which you nor I have any control over and how a QB prospect relates to them, chill.

Last edited:
Oakland traded Pryor to Seattle for a 7th round draft pick. They were expected to draft a QB, now its just written on the stone.

Oakland traded Pryor to Seattle for a 7th round draft pick. They were expected to draft a QB, now its just written on the stone.

Oakland drafts 5th. Look for them to lose out on the 4 studs (Clowney, Mack, Robinson, Watkins) and to then draft a QB who'll play behind Schaub for a year or two, or until Schaub craps out with shell shock.

Oakland drafts 5th. Look for them to lose out on the 4 studs (Clowney, Mack, Robinson, Watkins) and to then draft a QB who'll play behind Schaub for a year or two, or until Schaub craps out with shell shock.
So do you think that if one of those four guys is available then they will pick one?

So do you think that if one of those four guys is available then they will pick one?

There's not a definite franchise-type QB in this draft, but there's a fair amount of somewhat promising depth, and this isn't really a year with a lot of teams looking QB at the top, so I could see even QB needy teams passing on them early and hoping to get a QB with a later pick.

There's not a definite franchise-type QB in this draft, but there's a fair amount of somewhat promising depth, and this isn't really a year with a lot of teams looking QB at the top, so I could see even QB needy teams passing on them early and hoping to get a QB with a later pick.
I think Matthews is right there with the 4 you listed.

never said anything about his age, its just that 2009 was in fact 5 years ago. Even a third round pick is a waste as it was with Mallet, I just do not see the point in drafting a player like Savage with anything resembling a pick that has value. And don't get so angry I am not talking about you here, I am talking about a football team of which you nor I have any control over and how a QB prospect relates to them, chill.

Mallett was a waste of a pick as a 3rd rounder? WOW.

As for being "angry", dude, if I was "angry" you'd know it because I'd blast you. My response had no anger in it what so ever. You aren't worth that type of energy.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back