PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft reports from the past

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainefan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be interesting to read how our current players were evaluated by people like the Huddle Report, that is, before the draft took place?

I'd love to know what was said about Tedy, for instance, or Bethel, Kevin, among many others.

Reading these reports now would give us a pretty good idea of how accurate draft reports are in general--what they miss, what they overestimate, etc.

Anyhow know where such information can be found?

Just answered my own question--well, partly. Huddle has archives for the last two years.

I love reading the old profiles to try to glean hints of what traits the Patriots look for (e.g. the insight on vertical jumps of offensive linemen...was it RookBoston who pointed that out?)

I believe NFLdraftscout has 3 years up, and makes tantalizing claims that they're going to put up decades worth from their print archives.

I have my old Pro Football Weekly Draft guides back to 1998. I also have Sporting News and other printouts from several years back.

I'll go back and look at certain players from time to time. I keep them as reference material. That is one reason why I like the print versions vs the online.

PATSNUTme, do you any information on "workout wonders" from past years in your old Pro Football Weekly collection? How well have they performed in the NFL?

(i.e. Adam Jones last year)

patchick said:
I love reading the old profiles to try to glean hints of what traits the Patriots look for (e.g. the insight on vertical jumps of offensive linemen...was it RookBoston who pointed that out?)

I believe NFLdraftscout has 3 years up, and makes tantalizing claims that they're going to put up decades worth from their print archives.
You can also get some in NFL.com's draft section, though you have to try and outsmart the miserly stinkers, they don't let you find them too easily. You can go back to class class of 2003.

drpatriot said:
PATSNUTme, do you any information on "workout wonders" from past years in your old Pro Football Weekly collection? How well have they performed in the NFL?

I'll look him up & post it later. It won't say how they have performed in the NFL. These are pre-draft opinions.

EDIT:I can't see if he that he was drafted by any team last year. Was he an UDFA?

He is not listed in the draft guides. Are you sure he was in last years draft. What position?

Last edited:
Quiz

In the 2000 draft, who was rated as the 52nd best player overall by PFW. He was not drafted by the Patriots but has been on and off the Patriots roster for the past couple of years. He is now on the roster.

Flying Fungi said:

Pac Man! OK, I was looking for an Adam. Ok- I'll look it up tonight. The Sporting News rates all the draft pick from last year. And, I'll look as to what PFW said about him pre-draft.

No one wanted to ansewr the 'Quiz' question so her it is:

Hank Poteat was ranked #52 overall in the 2000 draft.

PATSNUTme said:
Pac Man! OK, I was looking for an Adam. Ok- I'll look it up tonight. The Sporting News rates all the draft pick from last year. And, I'll look as to what PFW said about him pre-draft.

No one wanted to ansewr the 'Quiz' question so her it is:

Hank Poteat was ranked #52 overall in the 2000 draft.
Dig those groooovy bongos baby! :singing:

Box_O_Rocks said:
Dig those groooovy bongos baby! :singing:

We should ask T-shirt to put them back up.

drpatriot said:

OK. Now that I know it is Pac Man. No one calls him Adam even the girl he was caught in the car with, but that's another story,

The Sporting New graded his pick based on his rookie season as a B-. They said 'He has good skills but there's a lot of room for improvement".

For the Patriots they graded the pisks of Mankins A-, Kaczur A, HobbsB, Sanders C, and Cassel B. Andy Stokes pick got an F, and Claridge was incomplete.

Here's Tedy's Draft page:

TedyDraft.jpg

For everyone who thinks that the draftniks know what they are talking about here are some "highlight" quotes:
"Better suited for the CFL"
"lacks the size of an NFL LB"
"can't cover"
etc,etc

FreeTedWilliams said:
Here's Tedy's Draft page:

TedyDraft.jpg

For everyone who thinks that the draftniks know what they are talking about here are some "highlight" quotes:
"Better suited for the CFL"
"lacks the size of an NFL LB"
"can't cover"
etc,etc

Hold on...they had him pegged as an intense, explosive competitor who makes an impact on the field but would have to find a new position, and might end up an inside linebacker. (The "better suited for the CFL" was specifically as a DE.) In fact, it did take Tedy a few years to settle into a new position...as an inside linebacker. How can you really fault that draft profile?

That is a good reminder that no matter how much time we put in looking at player profiles and rankings, we really know a fraction of what professional scouts know about these players. And, they are wrong many,many times.

Although I did have Tom Brady rated for the Patriots as a 5th to 6th round pick in 2000. But, alot of that was based on what I saw of him playing in several games.

I won't tell you about all of the other players that I was dead wrong about.

PATSNUTme said:
That is a good reminder that no matter how much time we put in looking at player profiles and rankings, we really know a fraction of what professional scouts know about these players. And, they are wrong many,many times.

Although I did have Tom Brady rated for the Patriots as a 5th to 6th round pick in 2000. But, alot of that was based on what I saw of him playing in several games.

I won't tell you about all of the other players that I was dead wrong about.

I give you some big credit on that. I knew of Tom Brady and was pleased with the pick in a big way (I also really liked the Major Applewhite pick--too bad his heart wasn't in it), but I never would have predicted it.

I am looking forward to the draft day maneuverings again this year. Just about time for the annual draft site selection committee to nominate which bars I'll be posted up at this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back