PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Say the Patriots ended up getting the number one pick and could not find any other team willing to trade up. If they were unwilling commit the necessary signing bonus and salary for a number 1 pick to any of the players on the draft board, could they simply pass on the pick until later in the first round?

IIRC a couple of years ago Minnesota failed to make their selection within the alotted 15 minutes (due to incompitence) and the team with the next pick, Kansas City, actually picked ahead of Minnesota.

If the Patriots were to do this and say wait until the 4th player was off the board before they made their pick ,would their pick technically beconsidered the 5th pick in the first round or would it still be technically considered the first pick? Could they simply wait a few picks before they selected so that they would not have to pay first pick money to a player they felt was not worth it?

If the Patriots allowed the 15 minutes to expire, the next team would be on the clock, and whomever made the selection first would get it. If thirty minutes go off the clock, the third team can submit it's pick. One of the other two teams can get its pick in at any time.

As for your second question, the player would be the fifth player selected....but his agent is going to try to get him a deal worth the #1 pick.

The problem with "passing" is that you can't just decide to hop back in at your leisure -- there has to be a pause. When the Vikings missed their cutoff the succeeding teams all rushed to the podium with their choices to push them down ever farther.

Hard to imagine that with about 2.5 months from the end of the Super bowl to the draft that BB couldn't find someone to take that pick off his hands.

We should get a huge indication of where Miami is headed in this draft depending on how well or not so well Beck does for the rest of this season.

What if the Jets got McFadden in the next draft? That is a huge possibility.

Hard to imagine that with about 2.5 months from the end of the Super bowl to the draft that BB couldn't find someone to take that pick off his hands.

We should get a huge indication of where Miami is headed in this draft depending on how well or not so well Beck does for the rest of this season.

What if the Jets got McFadden in the next draft? That is a huge possibility.

It's a little unsettling to think we'd have both Lynch and McFadden in our division. It's like the AFC West from the past few years with LJ and LdT. Fortunately, I'm confident that the Jets will outplay the 49ers for the balance of the season.

The Jets have two possible wins on the balance of their schedule - @Miami and home to the Chiefs. I think the 49ers only have one - and that's dependent on the health of Adrian Peterson.

It's a little unsettling to think we'd have both Lynch and McFadden in our division.

And to this I say "So what?" Until I see him play on Sundays, I refuse to believe he's better than Curtis Martin, Ricky Williams, or Jerome Bettis, three HoF caliber RBs that we routinely shut down.

Really, is the prospect of Lynch/McFadden any worse than the prospect of McGahee (or Travis Henry)/Martin/Williams?

The AFC East has always had great backs. Probably to carry the team during the winter months when passing's difficult.

The problem with "passing" is that you can't just decide to hop back in at your leisure -- there has to be a pause. When the Vikings missed their cutoff the succeeding teams all rushed to the podium with their choices to push them down ever farther.

Actually I believe a team which has been passed on the clock, can, in fact, decide to "hop back in" and submit it's pick anytime while the next team is on the clock.

Really, is the prospect of Lynch/McFadden any worse than the prospect of McGahee (or Travis Henry)/Martin/Williams?

Obviously, I think it is. I project the two to be very good.

And I should stress "a little" unsettling. I'm still not very unsettled in the grand scheme of things. BB has always shown an ability to gameplan away an opposing team's position of strength.

If the Patriots allowed the 15 minutes to expire, the next team would be on the clock, and whomever made the selection first would get it. If thirty minutes go off the clock, the third team can submit it's pick. One of the other two teams can get its pick in at any time.

As for your second question, the player would be the fifth player selected....but his agent is going to try to get him a deal worth the #1 pick.

I imagine something like this would create a ripple effect, where the the first player selected in the draft by the team with the second pick would demand first pick money and so on.

How could Dorsey help the Jets? The Jets already have Robertson playing out of position as a Nose tackle.

Dorsey is strictly a 4-3 under tackle. Tying up a decent amount of cap space with Dorsey in a 3-4 is a huge gamble.

C Long could be huge for the Jets similar to what Seymour is with us.

I still think that offensively the Jets need 2 OG's in the worst way and a RB to help even out the offense.
Defensively the Jets need a monster NT, more big 3-4 LBs and help for the secondary. It is possible that the Jets could wind up with Samuel and Gay in their secondary with Rhodes and Revis next season.

It is possible that the Jets could wind up with Samuel and Gay in their secondary with Rhodes and Revis next season.

That's one hell of an expensive secondary, considering Samuel and Gay will be UFAs for the first time and command significant dollars. Even Gay, if he stays healthy this year and makes it to UFA will be one of the most highly coveted CBs on the market. Samuel goes without saying. I think the only CB playing better right now is Mathis.

Actually I believe a team which has been passed on the clock, can, in fact, decide to "hop back in" and submit it's pick anytime while the next team is on the clock.

Kind of....if the next team is just sitting "on the clock," they you can hop in and make your selection. But if they don't leave any dead time and are waiting at the podium to select immediately, you can't cut in front of them. When the Vikings did this, teams lined up to take advantage and drafted before them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes