Welcome to PatsFans.com

Draft Question

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by Tucker, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tucker

Tucker On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've always heard about this and have never seen it happen. As I understand it, if a team does not see a particular player they want at their draft pick, they can let the time expire and the next team in line picks, then original team who passed on their pick can jump back in at any time, correct?

Now theoretically, if the Lions wanted to be cheap (hey, it's the Lions) to avoid having that #1 pick contract and dont particularly like Stafford or whomever, could they let time expire and have the Rams pick #1? Then jump back in after the Chiefs or wherever they see value for the player they covet

2. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Sure, Detroit doesn't reach an agreement with anyone before the draft and decides to let their time expire without making a pick. Three picks later Detroit jumps in and takes the fourth player in the draft...now that player's agent takes the position that Detroit ued their #1 overall pick on his client and needs to pay him like #1 overall. It's not the smartest play Detroit could make.

3. Tucker

Tucker On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ah, I gotcha. thanks BOR. You're right in that case, definately not the smartest move

4. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

the Minnesota Viking did this in 2003 when they drafted kevin williams.......williams did not succeed in winning that argument but he did have a prolonged summer vacation and still has arguably been the best d-lineman to come out of that draft

5. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +180 / 4 / -2

#75 Jersey

Funny, as stupid as the NFL world thought Minnesota was that day they actually did get it right some what. Drafted Williams where they thought he should go and paid a little less money in the process.

6. Isaac

Isaac Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sure the agent will make such an argument, but I don't think it will work much because the team's rookie salary pool is based on their actual picks.

7. MetalBleachers

MetalBleachers Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think the aforementioned Minny tomfoolery has put such a move in a harsher light, meaning that the players' association would be better prepped for such an argument.

All conjecture, but I'd assume they'd want to prevent that from happening.

8. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +289 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

The two players selected while the Vikings were sleeping were Leftwich and Jordon Gross, both of whom, they could have easily gotten a 6th rd pick for Jacksonville/Carloina to move up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.