PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Posts

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
I've gotten a lot of messages over the weekend about this and figured I'd take a moment to respond so that everyone knows the reasoning behind what we're doing.

Nine months out of the year there are many who discuss the draft forum, potential players, prospects, etc. and all of these posts are kept in the draft forum. I understand that while it is "slow" right now, I'm still requesting that draft related posts remain there. There are two reasons behind this.

1) Obviously the people who have been there for the last nine months have done a good job giving everyone some insight to some of the players coming up, along with some interesting opinions, mock drafts, etc. It's not fair to them to move the talk out to the main forum and not keep it all in one place.

2) The second reason is really the biggest one: it's also there to archive all the posts and keep it organized and separate for the main one so that people can go back and research what was said beforehand. I can't even count the number of times people quote previous posts from there when a player they thought would be terrible ends up being a great player, or if someone said a player would be amazing and ends up being a bust.

So the admins are all doing a great job and doing exactly what I've asked. I understand that when draft day comes I don't expect everyone to be hanging out there all day, and fully expect to see everyone post in here. However by the time the month is over we'll be going back and moving many of the old posts over to the draft forum to keep them there. Again, the reason for that is so they can be found later.

Hopefully all that makes sense to everyone, and I know there will be some who disagree, but we've been doing it this way for almost 7-years and it's always worked out well. You'll also find it a lot easier to find a draft post a month after it's over, or when you're looking for that post on the next Patriot who scores 10 touchdowns in a season after someone posted that it's the worst pick they've ever seen. It's happened many times over the years believe me :cool:

Ian

Thanks for the reply Ian. Couldn't you keep Patriots related draft material in the main forum, even if its only for a limited time - 7 days or something along those lines.

Thanks Ian. Well done.

Thanks for the reply Ian. Couldn't you keep Patriots related draft material in the main forum, even if its only for a limited time - 7 days or something along those lines.

:rolleyes:

ten characters

thanks for the reply and solving the latest crisis. :D

We will in the week leading up to the draft, and then we'll be moving them after they've moved off the front page so not to worry.

Ian

We will in the week leading up to the draft, and then we'll be moving them after they've moved off the front page so not to worry.

Ian

Ian - Thanks for weighing in. Is there any way you'd consider extending this policy for the 30 days preceeding the draft?

I appreciate all the work you & the moderators put into running this site. I didn't mean to cause a civil war.

Ian
Please don't. You have a fine site and a fine vision for it. Your structure, layout and plan are the result of hard work and long hours put in by you.

All the reasons you cite make absolute sense to most of us, and are accepted by almost everyone else. You gave a fine explanation of why you are doing what you are doing, and we appreciate it.

Don't feel you need to modify your plan because one or two guys need to have things their own way and refuse to visit the draft forum.

The time leading up to the draft will yield the most draft talk and it will make the most sense to keep it with the rest of the talk rather than fragment it.

Post-draft, the now-drafted players will be Patriots and will be discussed ad nauseum on the main board.

Ian - Thanks for weighing in. Is there any way you'd consider extending this policy for the 30 days preceeding the draft?

I appreciate all the work you & the moderators put into running this site. I didn't mean to cause a civil war.

Thanks Ian, I'm so appreciative, sorry to cause a ruckus, but couldn't we still just do it the way I wanted? LOL

Rather than publicly asking Ian to reconsider a decision he's already made fully aware of your preferences, you should have considered making a public apology to pats1 whom you and others very publicly castigated yesterday for as it turns out just doing his job as Ian intended him to.

OK Ian, fair enough!

Thanks Ian, I'm so appreciative, sorry to cause a ruckus, but couldn't we still just do it the way I wanted? LOL

Rather than publicly asking Ian to reconsider a decision he's already made fully aware of your preferences, you should have considered making a public apology to pats1 whom you and others very publicly castigated yesterday for as it turns out just doing his job as Ian intended him to.

Very well said.

My apologies. This is a private message board and I understand that concept. thanks for putting up with the likes of me.

I was a bit confused about this not being a new policy so I went back and searched my name 1 year ago in this forum then searched the draft site under the name of a prominent draftnick and both forums were discussing the draft and were lively.

I really shouldn't be spending so much time on draft boards this month with all the papers I have to write.

If I may be allowed my .02. I haven't kept up with the draft this year and couldn't hold my own in a forum full of draftnicks who spend 12 months studying prospects. However, in years past, I have spent a lot of time and visited specialized draft forums. They're all over the net this time of year.

I am a member of a number of forums and my belief is less segmentation and less moderation makes for livelier discussion. I used to click the cheerleader thread out of boredom and get a laugh. I've visited once since it was moved. If I want to see girls in bikinis or less, there's nor lack of material elsewhere.

I think main forums bring together posters with different knowledge and interests and designed segregation keeps them separate. I think specialized forums work better when they augment rather than replace the main forum, with posters putting different types of materials in each.

I totally respect you for giving us a forum to use and I will never abuse the privilege. If I was a little sharp to any moderators I apologize as I sincerely was not aware of this strict policy. I try to be humorous, but I admit it's a little stretched these days due to some stress.

I was wrong, but i hope you'll note my opinions as they result from seeing many forums change for the better or worse.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back