PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft OT (Bruce Campbell)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with most of you.

I put OT with CB and S as positions with very little need for a high pick. I could see getting one later as camp competition and a practice squad/development guy. But that is it.

With Light-Vollmer-Kaczur-LeVoir, Light will be the LT, and Vollmer should beat out Kazcur for the RT.

Matt Light =
turnstyle.jpg

Yeah, I'm in favor of putting Vollmer in as LT and trading Light for a 4th or 5th.

Or putting him as a guard, when Neal breaks down.

Light gave up the strip sack to baltimore on our first series. Bad.

This. Campbell scares the bejesus out of me. Big, long, athletic tackle who's measurables look other worldly. Seems awesome, right? Sure! Until you see the dude play or actually workout. His elbows stray when moving laterally, giving up punch and exposing the breastplate. His hips are tight, his feet are flat. He overextends his drop step, and he hops instead of drives when moving. They're not drafting athletes, they're drafting football players.

Good breakdown, and exactly why I don't think he's good value in the top 10 - 15 where he's projected. Beyond that, however, I think he's worth the gamble. He's unbelievably athletic, and wouldn't have to start on this team (Light and Vollmer will be a great duo for us next year). I could see him being a monster with a year of technique and proper S&C. He definitely needs to become more flexible through the hips, and should move in a more coordinated manner. Nonetheless, there were times when he dominated on sheer athleticism, and I see no reason why a year with Scar wouldn't fix most of his major issues.

Think about it: Bruce Campbell and Sebastian Vollmer as bookends for the next ten years is pretty attractive sounding. :rocker:

Yeah, I'm in favor of putting Vollmer in as LT and trading Light for a 4th or 5th.

Or putting him as a guard, when Neal breaks down.

Light gave up the strip sack to baltimore on our first series. Bad.
I agree with this. Trade away Light and put Vollmer back at LT (he's a better LT than RT anyway). Then draft a Jared Veldheer to come in and play RT. I like the idea of having two 6'8 300+lb athletic beasts to protect Brady for the rest of his career.

I agree with this. Trade away Light and put Vollmer back at LT (he's a better LT than RT anyway). Then draft a Jared Veldheer to come in and play RT. I like the idea of having two 6'8 300+lb athletic beasts to protect Brady for the rest of his career.

Bingo, if you don't protect your QB he's just going to beaten to a pulp, make bad decisions at critical times, and lose early in the playoffs...wait...that sounds familiar. We'd be better off with a very solid line and have Brady throw to scrub receivers than have HoF corp of receivers without any meaningful protection.

After the knee injury Brady has less mobility than ever before, which makes the defense's job easier, he won't be playing in a few years if he keeps getting beaten like this past season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes