PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Nuggets and Rumours.

Did anyone else see the draft special on the CBs with Gruden and Kiper?

Kiper was high on Waynes and Johnson, then Gruden showed pay after play where they didn't tackle!

I don't know if it was a masterful edit job or not, but Waynes' tackling was almost laughable and Johnson was literally getting run over. They looked so bad, I wouldn't want either one, even if they dropped to #32!

The complete reverse for Peters! Man if the Pats could grab him at #32, that would be a steal!

Kiper was high on Waynes and Johnson, then Gruden showed pay after play where they didn't tackle!

I don't know if it was a masterful edit job or not, but Waynes' tackling was almost laughable and Johnson was literally getting run over. They looked so bad, I wouldn't want either one, even if they dropped to #32!

The complete reverse for Peters! Man if the Pats could grab him at #32, that would be a steal!

That's part of the reason why Peters is my favorite player in this draft. He fills a position of need, he's the best press corner in this entire draft (some of the things he does remind me of Revis), and he TACKLES. He looks like he loves coming up in run support too. I suspect that BB loves those traits and, if he's comfortable with the reported attitude issues, may even take Peters if he's still around after Baltimore and Cincy pick.

I think it just shows the difference between a coach and an analyst. I've been pretty critical of Gruden in the past in his role at ESPN because he never criticizes anyone, but I thought this was extremely insightful. I agree that it certainly changed my mind on those guys, especially after hearing other recent criticisms of Waynes.

I also just heard him talk about Kevin White where he said there were concerns about him only playing the right side of the field. Other players in the past in similar roles (such as Michael Crabtree) haven't had too much success. That is why I think on most teams board Amari Cooper is the clear #1 WR.

Edit: I'll just say this also shows just why we shouldn't fall in love with guys that only test out well athletically without producing in college. There are so many aspects to being a good player in the NFL that 40 time, vertical and 3-cone are a long way down the list.

Last edited:

Interesting. I read pretty much that -- Waynes and Johnson are two guys who are weak tacklers (esp. Johnson). That makes sense though when you're talking about two guys who weigh in the 180's.

This is why I like Eric Rowe -- he's bigger and said to be a solid tackler. Also doesn't have the same character issues as Peters. Peters probably has the better overall skillset, but I think Rowe will be a solid all-around CB.

That's part of the reason why Peters is my favorite player in this draft. He fills a position of need, he's the best press corner in this entire draft (some of the things he does remind me of Revis), and he TACKLES. He looks like he loves coming up in run support too. I suspect that BB loves those traits and, if he's comfortable with the reported attitude issues, may even take Peters if he's still around after Baltimore and Cincy pick.

i like peters too, but there are too many teams at the bottom of the draft that ned corners like pittsburgh, GB and baltimore. i'm not getting my hopes up.

i like peters too, but there are too many teams at the bottom of the draft that ned corners like pittsburgh, GB and baltimore. i'm not getting my hopes up.

I don't expect him to get past Baltimore. If he does, I hope the team takes him. If he doesn't, I'd like to see them address either OL, DL, S, or trade down.

I loved the Gruden/Kiper special. I have a new found respect for Gruden. He was evaluating all the prospects as football players, not athletes. I had the same reaction as above after watching the show, there is no way I could see the Pats taking Waynes or Johnson. Gruden pointed out that both will get bubble screened out of the league unless they learn how to tackle.

He also ripped Armstead (lack of production) & Gregory (one dimensional pass rusher). A word of caution on Peters. Gruden loves Peters as a player, but pointed out that coaches don't kick the best player off their team unless there are major issues. He's another player I don't see the Pats touching before the third round.

I don't expect him to get past Baltimore. If he does, I hope the team takes him. If he doesn't, I'd like to see them address either OL, DL, S, or trade down.

Trade up with Carolina at 25. 32 AND 96. They need OL help. Should be there at 32.

His scouting report and size/speed do remind me of The Real Mayo.

He's a good fit, and BB paid that visit to Clemson. I could definitely see it.

I would spend the first on Peters if he were available. Rowe also really interests me as a guy I think could be had if the team traded back a little bit to a team wanting to get into the first to grab a guy with a 5th year option.

Looks like the Falcons are trying to trade for Seattle's Bruce Irving.

I loved the Gruden/Kiper special. I have a new found respect for Gruden. He was evaluating all the prospects as football players, not athletes. I had the same reaction as above after watching the show, there is no way I could see the Pats taking Waynes or Johnson. Gruden pointed out that both will get bubble screened out of the league unless they learn how to tackle.

He also ripped Armstead (lack of production) & Gregory (one dimensional pass rusher). A word of caution on Peters. Gruden loves Peters as a player, but pointed out that coaches don't kick the best player off their team unless there are major issues. He's another player I don't see the Pats touching before the third round.
He choked a coach, that is pretty major.

Schefter says he'd be surprised if we don't trade out tonight.

I think, at least in K. Johnson's case, it was selective editing. I've seen several highlights where he totally lit someone up. :D

But yeah, Peters @ #32 would make me very happy.

He choked a coach, that is pretty major.

Whoa, I hadn't heard that! Arguing with coaches is one thing. It could be for reasons BB could work with. But choking a coach, if that's true for whatever the reason. Nope.

At the end of his chat, with tongue in cheek, Mike Reiss was asked what out of nowhere scenario he could envision. He suggested passing on the 32 pick to have 24 hours to think about it, and more so as an FU to Goodell, saying you screwed up with deflate gate and tampergate, so here's it back at you. :)

At the end of his chat, with tongue in cheek, Mike Reiss was asked what out of nowhere scenario he could envision. He suggested passing on the 32 pick to have 24 hours to think about it, and more so as an FU to Goodell, saying you screwed up with deflate gate and tampergate, so here's it back at you. :)

The Omissioner would probably decree the Pats forfeit their pick if they did something like that.

As an FU to Goodell and some of the crybabies who aren't as thorough as BB in preparing their players I hope BB whips out a can of obscure rule book knowledge and, for at least one game, makes a mockery of the NFL.

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back