PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Lottery Some Day? Thank The 2011 Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we weren't talking about the Colts I'd love to see them trade down, get a bunch of lesser picks and fix every problem on the team (ala Jimmy Johnson with the Cowboys back in the day) just to show up people who write articles without any supporting evidence at all. In the aftermath of a game that went from 31-3 to 31-24 how can you claim the loser was losing on purpose?

This is based on Manning sticking around. I suggested this on another site and the Colts fans hated it. What's the best way to keep Peyton healthy another 3-4 years? Get him a GD running game. Trade down. The old 1,2 this year, 1,2 and 3 next year. Draft Trent Richardson with the pick you trade down to. Peyton hasn't really been dominant since Edge split for greener pastures. Except the 09 season. He was exceptional that year. Still have two very early 2nd rounders to help out the defense. Plus, a bunch of picks next year to re-evaluate the team with a full-season under Manning.

That would be nice, but he's probably already taken too much injury risk playing his "Junior" year...but he could turn "Suck for Luck" into "Suck for Indy."

If there is any reason for Andrew Luck to stay in school it is Indy. Peyton's status is unknown. Because of contract/cap space issues Peyton is untradeable (would esculate all his signing bonus). Once Luck signs a contract he too would be untradable.

This means that Luck (who undoubtable wants to be a starting QB) would be in a situation similiar to the one Rodgers was for several years. Sitting behind a prima donna waiting for him to retire.

If there is any reason for Andrew Luck to stay in school it is Indy. Peyton's status is unknown. Because of contract/cap space issues Peyton is untradeable (would esculate all his signing bonus). Once Luck signs a contract he too would be untradable.

This means that Luck (who undoubtable wants to be a starting QB) would be in a situation similiar to the one Rodgers was for several years. Sitting behind a prima donna waiting for him to retire.

Valid points all, but I think Luck already spun the Wheel once this past season without it stopping on "Career Ending Injury Without an Eight Figure Contract" and probably won't risk spinning it again. Yeah, he might end up sitting behind an established star, but he'll also be collecting a big check and learning from a guy who, unlike Favre, has already shown an interest in mentoring his successor.

I would be fine with a Lottery for the top 6 picks, I don't see the Patriots in that mix for a long time and don't think teams should be able to tank a season as the Colts are to get the best prospect.

I understand the support of the tanking theory, but my biggest problem is that I can't see players blowing up their stat-lines (and hurting future contract opportunities) just to help Polian get a #1 pick.

The problem is the owner and front office sending the message loud and clear from the start of the season that being the worst team in the league is fine with them. When players know there is no consequence for losing they are simply not going to put out the effort they would if they knew their owner and front office wouldn't accept it, especially in a game as violent as football. Both Pollian and Irsay made it clear they want Luck and that should disqualify them from getting the pick, it smells big time.

If the shoe were on the other foot and Brady went down and Belichik and Kraft said they wanted to draft Luck and then went winless the entire nation would be screaming "fix" and demanding the league not allow them the 1st pick

Last edited:
The problem is the owner and front office sending the message loud and clear from the start of the season that being the worst team in the league is fine with them. When players know there is no consequence for losing they are simply not going to put out the effort they would if they knew their owner and front office wouldn't accept it, especially in a game as violent as football. Both Pollian and Irsay made it clear they want Luck and that should disqualify them from getting the pick, it smells big time.

If the shoe were on the other foot and Brady went down and Belichik and Kraft said they wanted to draft Luck and then went winless the entire nation would be screaming "fix" and demanding the league not allow them the 1st pick

And if they don't pick Luck then these articles look stupid.

And if they don't pick Luck then these articles look stupid.

It doesn't change the fact that Irsay and Pollian made clear they want the first overall, which is bullsh.t. You don't send the message losing the season is the goal, which they did. I think they should have to refund all season ticket holders.

This is based on Manning sticking around. I suggested this on another site and the Colts fans hated it. What's the best way to keep Peyton healthy another 3-4 years? Get him a GD running game. Trade down. The old 1,2 this year, 1,2 and 3 next year. Draft Trent Richardson with the pick you trade down to. Peyton hasn't really been dominant since Edge split for greener pastures. Except the 09 season. He was exceptional that year. Still have two very early 2nd rounders to help out the defense. Plus, a bunch of picks next year to re-evaluate the team with a full-season under Manning.

Since Edgerrin James took off Peyton has:

Won a Super Bowl
Thrown for over 4000 yards in 5 consecutive seasons
Won 2 more MVP awards
His lowest passer rating in a season was 91.9
And his team has won 12, 13, 12, 14, and 10 games in a season

Come on, let's give Peyton some credit. The man is perhaps the greatest REGULAR SEASON QB of all-time.

Last edited:
Since Edgerrin James took off Peyton has:

Won a Super Bowl
Thrown for over 4000 yards in 5 consecutive seasons
Won 2 more MVP awards
His lowest passer rating in a season was 91.9
And his team has won 12, 13, 12, 14, and 10 games in a season

Come on, let's give Peyton some credit. The man is perhaps the greatest REGULAR SEASON QB of all-time.

I didn't mean it a knock on Manning. More of a they are easier to defense without a good running game. I'm not actually a Manning hater like many here. I enjoy watching him play. Hope we beat them. But, he's a joy to watch.

And, he shouldn't have won either MVP. Should have been Brees in 09. Passer rating was 109.6 compared to 99.9. Also had better td/int ration 34/11 compared to 33/16 and completed over 70pct of his passes. Was a joke that Brees didn't win it. In 08 Tennessee won div. and Indy was 12-4 and a wild-card. Pennington turned Miami from 1-15 to 11-5 and won AFC East. Also, had a better passer rating. 97.4 compared to 95.0. Only a slight difference. But, it wasn't just the wild-cat. Pennington was excellent without the supporting cast Peyton had. It's arguable. I'm just placing more emphasis on the valuable than the stats. Historic turnaround.

Disagree --- top NBA prospects probably have less variablity in their projected versus actual talent, but there are still top tier busts (Kwame Brown, Stromile Swift, Darko Milicic, Hasheem Thabeet, Adam Morrison... all say hi")

I'm not a big basketball watcher, but my impression is that the top basketball players who have all the measurables AND the production against top tier non-NBA talent have a bit less variability in their eventual NBA outcomes than similar NFL draftees, but the projection players are, if anything, even more of a crapshoot.

For what it's worth, most people knew that Morrison and Thabeet would suck as pros even before they were drafted. I have no idea what the teams that picked them were thinking. Darko and Kwame were just your standard cases of falling in love with potential in the absence of any real track record.

In any case, I don't think anyone ever thought of those guys as sure things, even on the day that they were drafted. The last time that I can remember a universally hailed 'sure thing' busting was Greg Oden, and even then there were a lot of folks around the NBA (including Danny Ainge) who preferred Kevin Durant to him.

Last edited:

Oh, so because other fans would slam the Pats and accuse them of such a claim, you feel the need to act that way towards the Colts. OK then!

This idea that the Colts players are throwing games is BS. Just a bunch of Poillian haters who want to slam him so they make up reasons to do so.

Though being down 31-3 they didn't stop playing on Sunday. So maybe its total BS.

Well they couldn't just sit on there hands. I mean it would have been hard not to score based on how terrible the defense is.

But what player is going to risk having his stat-line be terrible, risk getting a lower contract (or no contract), being cut if/when a new coach comes in, just so Polian can have luck? Like so many conspiracy theories, it falls apart because the scope of involvement is so large, it's bound to falter under the weight of conflicting interests.

I have no doubt that even if the Brady-less Pats weren't trying to tank and went winless, screams of "fix" would be in. What can you say? Everyone hates a winner.

The Star The Indianapolis Colts have lost starting cornerback Jerraud Powers and nickel corner Terrence Johnson for the remainder of the season
2 more on IR.

Well they couldn't just sit on there hands. I mean it would have been hard not to score based on how terrible the defense is.

That's your argument? The team they were playing was doing so bad that they almost lost a huge lead to a team that wasn't even trying. LOL.

Let me guess..it is all a big conspiracy to get the #1 pick and take Luck. Then trade Manning to the Jets for another first rounder. And they can do it by making the players not try and going out to lose every game because somehow BP has the ability to make the players give up. He can send JC a message during the game that he has to relay to the players that they need to jump offsides or fumble the ball or make a big mistake to keep losing. Because if they do they will be rewarded long term. Being part of one of the worst teams in NFL history is OK for the players, they just deal with it.

OH COME ON!! That's just ridiculous.

The team is just not very good this year. They have a bad head coach. There is no big conspiracy to lose every game.

I don't think the Colts are trying to lose. They are just that bad. I mean, think about it, every other team in the NFL has at least 1 win. Isn't there plenty of incentive to win 1 game.

Oh, so because other fans would slam the Pats and accuse them of such a claim, you feel the need to act that way towards the Colts. OK then!

This idea that the Colts players are throwing games is BS. Just a bunch of Poillian haters who want to slam him so they make up reasons to do so.

Yes, you would think that the Polian haters would instead cherish this moment of looking down on this winless team as they are pathetic. But instead we choose to trash him for potentially consipiring to throw games. I'll take option A.

So you would want a NFL lottery for the draft. Well wouldn't that make more teams try to tank and give the a higher chance at the pick?

That's your argument?

No I'm not arguing.

The Colts not trying isn't a theory. It's a fact. You can either accept that, or you can't.

Why is it so hard to accept that their guy is just pretty damn good, maybe the best ever? We're making these stupid tanking excuses to try to diminish the fact that Peyton actually carried that sh*thole like no other.

I'd be worried about this though, this means that teams like the rats can potentially have a chance at #1 overall pick if they finish 8-8 or something worse. Maybe only make it a lottery for the first 5 spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes