Welcome to PatsFans.com

Draft in full effect for State Department

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Oct 27, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

that's right... "you're going to Iraq, or you're fired!"

State Department to Order 250 to Iraq Posts

By REUTERS
    Published: October 27, 2007

WASHINGTON, Oct. 26 (Reuters) — Facing staff shortages in Iraq, the State Department announced Friday that diplomats would have no choice but to accept one-year postings in the hostile environment or face losing their jobs.

Harry Thomas, the State Department’s human resources director, said about 250 “prime candidates” for vacant Iraqi posts would be notified Monday of the decision. He said that they would have 10 working days to respond to the demand that they go to Iraq in summer 2008, and that only those with valid reasons, like a medical problem, would be exempt.

Until now, postings to Iraq have been on a voluntary basis and often hard to fill.

“If someone decides they do not want to go, then we would then consider appropriate actions,” Mr. Thomas said. “We have many options, including dismissal from the foreign service.”
  2. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Thats an easy out. Just state that you voted D in the last two elections and you believe in abortion and are anti-christ. No way they will send you.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +500 / 2 / -9

We're Winning

Iran Is Next

Bomb Hollywood

Obama Is Cheney's Nephew

Obama Now Calls Cheney "Uncle Dick"

:singing: :singing:
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +244 / 9 / -26

Hire Haliburton they will go..
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +403 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I'm not saying that this is a job to be jealous of but let's not make it out like they'll be carrying a gun and be out on the front lines. "Going to Iraq" - yes - but not the general connotation that comes with "Going to Iraq".
  6. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Osama IS Winning

Osama Is George Bush's Uncle

George Bush Now Calls Osama "Uncle Osama"

:singing: :singing:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Agreed.
    Working for the State Department means you often have to travel to other countries. That means that no matter where you go, you're leaving her and going to a worse place by definition. I travelled a lot, and every other place is worse than here. It's just a matter of degree.
  8. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +117 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Almost anyone who works for the Government has been detailed to one place or another, for work, it is what happens when you wrok for the Federal Government. The State Department is blaoted with liberals, who decry the mission of the Secrteary of State everyday. I hope that they all quit, it will make America a better place.

Oh My God, I work for the State Department and they might send me to another country to work? Doesn't that sound stupid to everyone? A majority of the State Department personel do work in another country it is the nature of the business.
  9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

typical right wing deduction... unfortunately, if your modern crusade had been managed, fully, by the State Department from the beginning, and not private contractors and hasty planning, it wouldn't be such a complete, unmitigated disaster... see, the State Department people were well aware that there were three tribes in Iraq, and had ideas how to handle infrastructure and rebuilding efforts... Boy King and his henchmen? steamrolled right over that minor aspect... the State Department was near completely cut out of the loop in the first year of "Operation Iraqi Liberation"...

even more unfortunately, the once respectable State Department has now been replaced by Bushy mouthpiece Condi Rice and other "Yes" Men...
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  10. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Maybe if they send their best workers from the State Department rather then ones who hold certain beliefs it would have worked better.
  11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

classy and typical Bush League move... they didn't even hear it from their bosses, but rather through the media... not sure how sorry i feel for them, however... should have seen the writing on the wall from their employers years ago...

gosh, i wonder of Condi will be serving any extended time over there... i wonder if Condi would even attend the meeting to hear her underlings' concerns.... whoops... nope...

New Iraq policy prompts angry words at the State Department

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/31/state.department.iraq/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Calling it "a potential death sentence," several hundred diplomats expressed their resentment Wednesday over a new State Department policy that could force them to serve in Iraq or risk losing their jobs.

Others pointed out the risks of such a rule, considering the dangers of a war zone, lack of security and regular rocket attacks on U.S. personnel.

One State Department worker complained she was not provided medical treatment for her post-traumatic stress disorder after she voluntarily served in Iraq.

The State Department has relied solely on volunteers to fill overseas jobs in recent decades. Forced assignments have not been used since the Vietnam War era
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +244 / 9 / -26

IMO it goes with the job, everyone can't go to Paris or London, they will give you bonuses etc. if you don't like it quit.. otoh not sure why we need so many and why we spent all that money on that Bagdad monstrosity.. but it is what it is..
  13. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Gee, imagine that, you boss actually setting the conditions of your employment? Actually filling vacant needs with people with the skills to perform them. What a bunch of a-holes. How dare they. :rolleyes:

Usually, when someone doesn't like the conditions their employer sets for them, or they otherwise are uncomfortable with the "vision and direction" of the company THEY CHOOSE to work for ---- THEY GO FIND ANOTHER JOB. They don't whine and cry about it. These people are different that military folks, they are a 2-week notice away from declining any unwanted Iraqi service.

IMO, This is close too............... but not quite, the dumbest thing you've ever posted.

Wait for it in 3.....2.....1

{Insert sanctimonious "I'm better then you and you're fooling no one with your irrelevance here PiNY" retort :rolleyes: }
  14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

it's interesting that you'd end your antagonistic post with something sanctimonious, yourself, then predict that i'd be the one responding with something sanctimonious...

considering i just said i don't feel very sorry for them, seeing as how their all Bush Leaguers anyhow, i'll leave you to argue with yourself again... I'll let you get back to creating a position for me that doesn't exist... it's what you do...
  15. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Wheeeew.......... I was a little worried you'd prove me wrong. I knew you wouldn't be able to resist. :singing:

I don't feel sorry for them either, they choose foreign service and everyone can't just get "the good postings". Besides, Unemployment is low and they are free to test the markets if they no longer are happy at their present place of employment, just like the rest of us. Like I said, not you're best effort, it's pretty much a non-story.
  16. ArmyPatsFan

ArmyPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is dumb....when you sign the dotted line you volunteer for service with world wide availability. If you do not like it ....leave the job.

Hard for me to stomach this line of thinking from DoD/Government Civilians.
  17. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No doubt, I saw one of them *****ing and moaning at their town hall meeting saying it was a death sentence, they didn't volunteer to go to Iraq, blah blah blah.

These goons aren't singing the same tune about the troops going though....are they?

I don't remember checking any block on my enlistment contract to be in the Army only during peacetime and at the station of my choice. They took an oath just like us, the flip side is they can resign whereas we cannot.
  18. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

lol.... the party of compassion, ringing through clearly... ...

anyhow, yeah,.... i'm all for war trumpeters and Bush voters going to Iraq...

still, it's a big STORY... .regardless of how PiNY wants to pretend it isn't...
  19. ArmyPatsFan

ArmyPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Compassion? It is their J O B!

I agree it is a big story....shows how pathetic and undeserving some of the governemnt civilians actually are when they are called upon to do their J O B.

Oh...plus the miltary pay raise had been tied to the civilian pay system for how long now? Total bull^%&$. ....trying to not get on a rant......trying...

edit for stupidity and grammar
  20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +411 / 5 / -2

Don't waste your time man. This country has been overrun with appologists, and by appologism. If it's part of their job then tough ****. If they don't like it, they're free to go work someplace else.