PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
If you don't already know about it, you really should acquaint yourself with this site.

Players | NFL Draft Hub

It's a fantastic resource for players in the draft. Not only do you get to see combine results on the main player list, if you click through to a player page, you'll see those combine numbers represented in an appealing way and links to all the scouting reports for that player on the web. I find it much nicer to use than CBSsports.

If you don't already know about it, you really should acquaint yourself with this site.

Players | NFL Draft Hub

It's a fantastic resource for players in the draft. Not only do you get to see combine results on the main player list, if you click through to a player page, you'll see those combine numbers represented in an appealing way and links to all the scouting reports for that player on the web. I find it much nicer to use than CBSsports.

A cheap imitation. ;)

Pretty cool

Players | NFL Draft Hub

I love that RGIII has a significantly faster 40 time than Morris Claiborn!

The Draft Hub guys are great. I love the fact that they actually link to the sites, rather that just copy / paste the scouting reports onto their own site.

Talked with their main guy Steve a couple of days ago, they have some great things planned.

I love the fact that they actually link to the sites, rather that just copy / paste the scouting reports onto their own site.

Actually, it's 1000X faster and user-friendly if you cut + paste and Link to all the Sites, as I do.

That way, the readers can scroll up and down and read all the Reports on one page.

And they can also jump right into the Sites that provided the Content.

Beats the snot out'f having to open up multiple windows and slow your connection speed to a crawl as you toggle back and forth between 8 Sites, trying to remember what you read on the others...which is precisely why I created the Site in the first place.

Actually, it's 1000X faster and user-friendly if you cut + paste and Link to all the Sites, as I do.

That way, the readers can scroll up and down and read all the Reports on one page.

And they can also jump right into the Sites that provided the Content.

Beats the snot out'f having to open up multiple windows and slow your connection speed to a crawl as you toggle back and forth between 8 Sites, trying to remember what you read on the others...which is precisely why I created the Site in the first place.

I don't want to get into an argument, but know that when you Copy / Paste entire scouting reports you are hurting those sites more than you think. Google penalizes them for duplicated content and they are seeing no gain for their effort.

I don't want to get into an argument, but know that when you Copy / Paste entire scouting reports you are hurting those sites more than you think. Google penalizes them for duplicated content and they are seeing no gain for their effort.

Nonsense.

I am driving traffic their way with every single Report.

FAR more importantly: One of Google's most important features ~ perhaps its most vital, signature feature ~ is that PageRank is heavily influenced by something called BackLinks ~ Links from one Site to another ~ and my Site is loaded with literally THOUSANDS of BackLinks to those other Sites.

I am performing a service not only for Draftniks but for those very Sites.

For someone who "doesn't want to get into an argument", you're being pretty argumentative. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should've gotten your facts straight before your unprovoked and deliberately misleading attack on my Site. It's bad enough that you deliberately misled anyone reading this thread with your thinly-veiled reference to my Site, by claiming that those Reports weren't linked, when every last one clearly is...But not having the dignity or courtesy to retract your deliberately misleading nonsense shows a complete lack of class.

Nonsense.

I am driving traffic their way with every single Report.

FAR more importantly: One of Google's most important features ~ perhaps its most vital, signature feature ~ is that PageRank is heavily influenced by something called BackLinks ~ Links from one Site to another ~ and my Site is loaded with literally THOUSANDS of BackLinks to those other Sites.

I am performing a service not only for Draftniks but for those very Sites.

For someone who "doesn't want to get into an argument", you're being pretty argumentative. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should've gotten your facts straight before your unprovoked and deliberately misleading attack on my Site. It's bad enough that you deliberately misled anyone reading this thread with your thinly-veiled reference to my Site, by claiming that those Reports weren't linked, when every last one clearly is...But not having the dignity or courtesy to retract your deliberately misleading nonsense shows a complete lack of class.

If you think you are helping those sites, you aren't, whether you link to them or not. Citing "page rank" is quite out-dated.

Have you had the dignity or courtesy to ask permission to copy others intellectual property in its entirety? Draft Hub asked for permission before using any and all of our and other resources. There is a right way to do things.

Ask any one of the guys that run those sites, I'll give you their emails if you'd like, whether they feel that you are doing them a service. I can almost guarantee they will ask you to kindly quit.

Right.

Continuing this conversation is beneath me.

Have a nice day.

Right.

Continuing this conversation is beneath me.

Have a nice day.

James is one of the more respected writers (he's actually a member of the Football Writers Association of America) and has been doing this for a long time. I think he was just trying to let you know to simply be careful of how much you copy/paste into your site because a simple link attribution isn't necessarily enough to avoid a copyright issue.

I can tell you first hand having been at this for 12+ years that as your site gets more popular, you've got to be careful. I've gotten calls at home due to people doing it on the board, which is why I posted this link: (http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../319672-copyrighted-material-please-read.html). People spend a lot of time researching stuff before posting it, and I can tell you I've had a couple of blog posts that people cut and pasted onto their own site, and some of the stats I used in that entry took me hours to compile. So it was irritating because those people weren't coming to my blog to read it, as well as potentially other entries.

If you're just aggregating content and you're not doing it in such a way for users to be enticed to go to the original site to read the entire report, forget Google rankings, you're essentially stealing page views, impressions, etc. which hurts their ad revenue. No one likes working hard to produce stuff for free while relying on ad revenue to cover their time, only to lose the referrals because someone is just pasting it on their own site.

So count me as someone else who is also just telling you to be careful, because the bigger and more popular your site may continue to get, you don't want to run into an issue where you have to completely edit 100's of reports due to someone sending you a FedEx from a legal office - or worse, having the site shut down :eek:.

Ian

James is one of the more respected writers (he's actually a member of the Football Writers Association of America) and has been doing this for a long time. I think he was just trying to let you know to simply be careful of how much you copy/paste into your site because a simple link attribution isn't necessarily enough to avoid a copyright issue.

I can tell you first hand having been at this for 12+ years that as your site gets more popular, you've got to be careful. I've gotten calls at home due to people doing it on the board, which is why I posted this link: (http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../319672-copyrighted-material-please-read.html). People spend a lot of time researching stuff before posting it, and I can tell you I've had a couple of blog posts that people cut and pasted onto their own site, and some of the stats I used in that entry took me hours to compile. So it was irritating because those people weren't coming to my blog to read it, as well as potentially other entries.

If you're just aggregating content and you're not doing it in such a way for users to be enticed to go to the original site to read the entire report, forget Google rankings, you're essentially stealing page views, impressions, etc. which hurts their ad revenue. No one likes working hard to produce stuff for free while relying on ad revenue to cover their time, only to lose the referrals because someone is just pasting it on their own site.

So count me as someone else who is also just telling you to be careful, because the bigger and more popular your site may continue to get, you don't want to run into an issue where you have to completely edit 100's of reports due to someone sending you a FedEx from a legal office - or worse, having the site shut down :eek:.

Ian

Thank, Ian. Food for thought, and greatly appreciated.

It wasn't the message I objected to, but rather the delivery. But History, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's all actually moot: I was defending the principle of the thing, and I should note that I still do, but the fact of the matter is that this will be the last year of that format.

My original reasons for aggregating all those Reports ~ the fact that I actually wanted to read them all ~ no longer exists, as experience has removed most of them from consideration in my own mind. And the fact is that in a short period of time I have evolved ~ at least in my own mind :p ~ into a producer of Scouting Reports, which ~ regardless of whether or not there's any chance of legal ramifications to what I've been doing ~ feels suspiciously like a classic conflict of interest.

And if it comes down to a choice between expressing my own opinions or those of others, it's an easy choice to make.

I've actually been doing it for the last few months only because I hate letting people down, and cats like my man Wilfork, there, Meat + Potatoes at Mbd.com, or whatever that is, and many others from around the nation ~ and even around the globe, which is pretty cool!! :D ~ have found their way there, and I didn't want to leave anyone hanging.

It's actually amazing serendipity that this Hub bit is cranking up, just now, to pick up the slack, because I would hate to disappoint anyone. I might even leave a Link to their Site for anyone sniffing around mine for the aggregates, this coming year. Thanks again.

Some of the names are outdated or the info dead wrong.

For example, I looked at the OSU part.

Useless JB Shughart isn't 5'9. Nathan Williams is not entering the 2012 draft. He got a medical redshirt from the NCAA.

Some of the names are outdated or the info dead wrong.

For example, I looked at the OSU part.

Useless JB Shughart isn't 5'9. Nathan Williams is not entering the 2012 draft. He got a medical redshirt from the NCAA.

A 5'9" OT - what's wrong with that? :)

Can I suggest, if you have the time, to e-mail him and point those kind of things out. I think going forward it'll be an excellent resource but I'm sure it's a nightmare to keep on top of so any help the masses can provide will make the site better for all in the longterm. I follow him on twitter and he seems like a good guy (Pats friendly too).

Nevermind, I tweeted him your post.

Last edited:
Wow with there rankings my dream draft could happen

1st Round (Pick 27) (via New Orleans)- Michael Brockers DT

1st Round (Pick 31) Whitney Mericles DE/OLB

2nd Round (Pick 48) (via Oakland) Jared Crick DE and my BINKIE!!!!

2nd Round (Pick 62) Martin Markelle Safety
3rd Round (Pick 93) Tommy Streeter WR

Defense Defense Defense Defense :rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

Seems like a good site. The scouting reports being on the same page really saves some time.

I bet Shea McClellin is a lot higher on the Patriots' board than he is at Draft Hub though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes