PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft howler thread, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Since we now know where the Pats' pick officially is, figured I'd start a new thread. [Again, doesn't have to be Pats specific, but it just has to be proof of a whole lot of stoopid.]

Anyhow, here's my first howler, and boy is it a doozie, from a Rams fan blog:

7. New England-Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.

I could actually see them taking Brohm to back up Brady, but this made more sense.

:wha:

Again, another one from the quarterback follies file:

63. New England Patriots – Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia
The Patriots add another weapon to its arsenal. Joe Flacco is tempting here with no great backup for the Patriots.

Oh, great. So the Pats should either add a RB they don't need, or a QB they don't think they need. :bricks:

[Seriously, folks, isn't it saying something that the Pats had just Brady and Cassel on the roster to start the 2006 season?]

Again, another one from the quarterback follies file:

Oh, great. So the Pats should either add a RB they don't need, or a QB they don't think they need. :bricks:

[Seriously, folks, isn't it saying something that the Pats had just Brady and Cassel on the roster to start the 2006 season?]

I understand your comment concerning his Flacco remark, but Steve Slaton at 63rd overall could be good value, and he fits the 3rd down receiving roll Faulk has filled for us nicely. I'm not saying Faulk needs replacing, but he's not going to play forever, and Slaton could take over for him, when needed.

This one from Football Experts was posted on the main board:

http://www.prodraftguide.net/staffmock07.html

New England Patriots (from SF) - DT Glenn Dorsey (LSU)
The New England Patriots do have to address the interior of the defensive line and they have been rumored to be testing the trade waters with NT Vince Wilfork. With that said, HC Bill Belichick has been known to take the best player available over need as they often find success later in the draft or with veterans at addressing their problem areas. Dorsey's stock has taken a hit and a month ago, it would seem unfathomable for him to slide this far but it is becoming a reality (especially with the medical red flags). Either Gholston, Ellis, or McFadden will fall to the Pats, so this pick does make sense.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Slaton's actually got really good hands. While Hester is apparently the guy the Patriots are really interested in as Faulk's heir apparent, Slaton has alot of potential as a third down weapon as well.

Slaton's actually got really good hands. While Hester is apparently the guy the Patriots are really interested in as Faulk's heir apparent, Slaton has alot of potential as a third down weapon as well.

FWIW, my point wasn't that Slaton and/or Flacco are bad players, merely that it's all kinds of stupid to say that RB and QB are their main positions of need at that point. :)

And which Hester are you referring to? Devin? Jacob? Prynne? :D

Seriously, though, this is the first time I've heard Hester mentioned as a potential Patriot. . . .

Last edited:
This may be the worst Patriots mock I've seen yet. Seriously:

1.7 Glenn Dorsey DT LSU
2.31 Reggie Smith S Oklahoma
3.6 Patrick Chung S Oregon
3.31 Drew Radovich G USC

Ooh, that's excellent! A clean O-fer on every top position of need!!! I don't think that can be beaten, but this one posted just 2 days ago on the draftprospects blog is at least mildly nauseating:

1.7 Derrick Harvey DE/OLB Florida
2.31 Roy Schuening OG Oregon St.
3.6 Donnie Avery WR Houston
3.31 Simeon Castille CB Alabama

This may be the worst Patriots mock I've seen yet. Seriously:

1.7 Glenn Dorsey DT LSU
2.31 Reggie Smith S Oklahoma
3.6 Patrick Chung S Oregon
3.31 Drew Radovich G USC

Oh, BTW . . . it gets better:

Glenn Dorsey Overview
Dorsey should be a lock for a Top 5 pick. :rolleyes: Had good college career, Glen Dorsey is more of a Warren Sapp type of DT than a true run stopper. :rolleyes: Could go 1st overall, but that depends on who ends up with the 1st overall pick. In 2007, Glenn Dorsey was awarded the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, the Outland Trophy, the Lott Trophy and the Lombardi Award, becoming the only player to have won all four awards.
Combine Update: Glenn Dorsey checked into the combine at 6-1 1/2, 297 pounds.

Patriots Draft Overview
The Patriots need LB and CB help, and should take the BPA in the 1st Round. [So why are you giving us a DT, you moron? --Ed.] Also, with the need to probably replace CB Asanti Samuel look for a trade for a veteran CB.

The Patriots did not overspend for CB Asanti Samuel, and I don't blame them. CB Asanti Samuel is, in my opinion, one of the more overrated players in the NFL. Asanti Samuel is good, but the Eagles will probably be disappointed.

The Patriots might trade down with a team like the Vikings for their 1st pick and CB Antionio Winfield. A straight trade (2nd or 3rd Round Pick) with the Vikings for CB Antionio Winfield is also possible.

Reggie Smith Overview
One of the top safeties. Could move into 1st round with good combine.

Patrick Chung Overview
Quick safety who develop into a good NFL player. [If this guy were any obvious relation of Eugene Chung, I might well have killed myself already. --Ed.]

Drew Radovich Overview
Has good pass blocking skills and can pull well, should make a nice NFL guard.

This one is over on Football's Future. The creator's thread title: "Unlikely 7-rounder, Lots of trades; I got bored."

Unfortunately, said poster also appears to have divorced himself from reality, and taken to the cleaners in the process:

3. *TRADE* Miami [who had traded out of #1 to ATL for #3, #34, and #68 --Ed.] trades this pick to New England for #7, #62, and RB Laurence Maroney
New England- Darren McFadden- RB- Arkansas
Miami trades down again to continue to accumulate picks and acquire a great RB to pair with Ronnie Brown (If Brown can stay healthy). The Patriots, in turn get the top player in the draft to improve their already high-octane offense. Defenses beware!

:bricks:

Oh, and FWIW--here's the Pats' total haul:

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
3. Darren McFadden- RB- Arkansas
69. Jerod Mayo- LB- Tennessee
94. Terrell Thomas- CB- USC
128. Tyler Polumbus- OT- Colorado
164. Kellen Davis- TE- Michigan St.
198. Stanford Kelgar- LB- Purdue
238. Kyle Wright- QB- Miami

Last edited:
Even Pat Kirwan can cough up a hairball--one so bad that I need to borrow a smiley from over at the Planet.

After trading down to #9 (CIN moves up to take Sedrick Ellis). . . .

Team Pick Analysis

9. New England Patriots (Projected trade with Cincinnati)
Branden Albert, G, Virginia

Don't be surprised to see the Patriots look at their offensive line for two reasons. One, they gave up a lot of sacks and pressures in the Super Bowl; and two, Belichick has taken many big offensive linemen with his first-round picks.
WTF.gif
Albert can play guard or tackle. The Patriots did not sign any significant talent to help the offensive line so far in free agency.

Previous mock pick: Derrick Harvey (Bengals' pick)

Linemen, yes. But offensive linemen? When did Mankins become Manykins? :bricks:

Ooh, that's excellent! A clean O-fer on every top position of need!!! I don't think that can be beaten, but this one posted just 2 days ago on the draftprospects blog is at least mildly nauseating:

1.7 Derrick Harvey DE/OLB Florida
2.31 Roy Schuening OG Oregon St.
3.6 Donnie Avery WR Houston
3.31 Simeon Castille CB Alabama

IMHO Schuening is nothing special, and certainly not a first day pick.

Another howler from Draft Dog:

#7 New England Patriots- Malcolm Kelly WR

They need a third receiver unless you believe Chad Jackson or Kelley Washington are the answer in the Pats 3-receiver sets. This could also be someone like DeSean Jackson but this is ONLY if they believe there is a wideout worthy of going this high, which there might not be. I could also see them maybe nabbing RB Jonathon Stewart despite his injury or picking up an o-lineman. I don’t think this is a defensive pick, and they will try to trade down. I don’t think Leodis McKelvin will get on the field as a starting corner any time soon and they can get a corner and inside linebacker in later rounds. The Patriots picking this is high is through sheer intelligence but it doesn’t happen very often, I think they look for the biggest bang here and go on the offensive.

Jabar Gaffney says hi, and Donté Stallworth says WTF. :bricks:

C'mon, folks, I can't be the only one finding these "gems." . . .

This one from Pro Draft Guide

7.New England Patriots (via SF) - CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (Tennessee State)
Despite taking CB Brandon Meriweather :eek: in the first round of the draft last year, the Patriots are likely to pursue the unanimous No. 1 CB among pro scouts :confused:, Rodgers-Cromartie. After losing CBs Asante Samuel and Randall Gay to free agency, the Patriots all of a sudden have a gaping hole in the secondary. :confused:

If Meriweather is a CB, doesn't that put the gaping hole at safety? Oh, wait a minute. . . . That's why we signed Bryant and Webster, etc., because Meriweather is a CB. . . .

Yet another FAIL fromFootball's Future."

It starts with C. Long, J. Long, Dorsey, Gholston, Ellis, McFadden, so Ryan is still on the table.

New England- Leodis McLevin CB
Lost randall gay and asante samuel....need replacements
[Aside from the fact you can't spell McKelvin, losing Randall Gay was not exactly like losing, say, Marvin Harrison. But at least this pick is justifiable. From here on out, well. . . . --Ed.]

New England- Philip Wheeler DE
New England could use some fresh blood in their DLine rotation
[How many 30-something DLs do the Pats have? --Ed.]

New England- Chilo Rachal OG
They Oline is very old, but NE likes smart lineman and they get one in Rachal
[Apparently 30 is the new 40, or something. . . . --Ed.]

New England- Kevin Smith HB
[Doesn't even bother to explain this pick. I can't blame him. --Ed.]

Again, from Football's Future:

New England---------DE Derrick Harvey Florida - Seymour always seems hurt, can play up or down with hand down

Yep, 6'3", 245#, and he's going to take Seymour's place in the 3-4. . . . :rolleyes:

I detect FAIL. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey