PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft "Head case" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Many of us have looked at rankings, mocks, and highlight tapes for the past couple of months. We have looked at the Combine and other 'measurables".

One of the more important factors in evaluating players is what is going on upstairs. I thought I'd start a "head case" thread so we can add this info as we come accross it.

The following is taken from Pro Football Weekly Draft Preview. These are some of the things in the write up's of certain players.

Wide Recievers:

Jeremy Bloom 'Ego needs Stroking" "Doesn't knon what he doesn't know"

Santanio Holmes "Big Ego need messaging" "Similar physically and mentally to Terry Glenn"

Greg Lee "Prima Donna""must realize that football is a team sport"

Brandon Marshall "Volatile personality" "does not like to take orders" "runs his mouth too much"

Marshall was on my board- not any more.

Those of you who read these kinds of write ups, please post them.

These ar only the opinions of the person doing the write up. But they do present "red flags".

Offense....from PFW..

OK..I will try and add some from PFW's..draft book...
----Lawrence Vickers RB "Is too mouthy and likes to talk too much".
----DeAngelo WIlliams RB "Has a big ego and could change after a big payday"
----Marcus Vick QB (Need we say more??)
----Dominique Byrd OL "Is mouthy and likes to talk too much."
----Leonard Pope TE "Immature and needs to take the game more seriously"
----Daryn Colledge OL "Craves attention, which is not a good trait for an offensive lineman. Came off as a self-promoting phony n team interviews."
----Max Jean-Gilles OG "Not very smart and some have questioned his character and motivation, wondering how hard he'll work after a big pay day."
----Winston Justice OL "Appeared 'scripted' and 'phony' in some interviews and has some con in him."
----Fred Matua OL "Likes to talk too much and has an inflated opinion of his ability."
----Eric WInston OL "Can come off as arrogant and rubbed some the wrong way. Made some insulting remarks to some at teh Combine."

Defense...from PFW

From PFW
----Titus Adams DT "Too lazy and does not like to work."
----Dusty Dvoracek DT "Character needs close scrutiny after off-field, alochol related incidents."
----Johney Jolley DL "Character has come into question".
----Frostee Rucker DE "Is too mouthy."
----Moe Thompson DL "Cannot be trusted in the locker room and continually finds his way into trouble."
----Claude WRoten DL "Lazy and immature. Does not like to work out or rehabilitate."
----Brandon Johnson OLB "Can be lazy and is still a little imature."
----AJ Nicholson OLB "Multiple off-field incidents including an alleged rape charge sent him home early and has raised some character issues."
----Kevin SImon LB "Comes off as arrogant and is always challenging authority."
----Ernie SIms LB "Character issues can be a concern."
----Jamar Williams OLB 'Questionable character."
----Travis WIlliams ILB "Too arrogant and confrontational and has an inflated opinion of his ability."
----Greg Blue S "Has an inflated opinion of his ability."
----Chris Hawkins CB "Has been in trouble off the field."
----Reuben Houston CB "Has a history of trouble off the field and has some con in him."
----Vincent Meeks SS "Has had some trouble off the field."
---Bernard Pollard SS "Has an oversized ego, struglles with strong autority figures and can be disruptive in the locker room."

We all know that chararcter is important to BB. This thread is not designed to trash certain prospects.

It is to bring out important issues that may effect if the draft status as far as the Patriots are concerned.

I didn't wish to trash the players..just wanted to report what was in a PFW guide..may have missed some..but just wished to give an idea about players...
as we all know..BB?SP look at certain traits..and some nonsense is a distraction and NOT allowed at Gillette...that is for other teams..

well at this rate, we will not draft anyone. Crap, you guys over analyze EVERYTHING!

Boston Boxer said:
well at this rate, we will not draft anyone. Crap, you guys over analyze EVERYTHING!
Do you think understanding a player's character is overanalyzing??? Really???

Sometimes there's a fine line between a player being brash and confident and having a character problem. Dillon would have been excluded, for example.

I think the Pats could pick someone like Pollard in the 4th, but he's had a run in with his coaches in the past. Doesn't necessarily mean he's a total jerk.

Boston Boxer said:

Boxer, there is more to a player than combine stats and rankings by various draft sites.

The intent of this thread is to point out the other 'measurables' that MAY take a player off the Patriots board.

There are plenty of good players in this draft that don't have the "head problems' that others do. Maybe, if time permits, a thread can be started naming those.

Here's just a few that would meet the Patriots standards. Carpenter, Wimbley, Lawson, Hass, Baskett, D. Manning, Griffin, Youboty.

I don't think it is over analyzing to point those important "measurables" out.

Probably 85% of the eligibile players for this draft would meet the Patriots characture standards.

Running Backs

Deanglo Williams- He has been shown as a possible Patriots pick at #21 on several mock drafts.

Here is what PFW has to say: Does not like contact. Took himself out of the Tenn game with a mild injury. Acts as if he is mayor of Memphis and expects to be treated like royalty. Puts himself first and not a great team player.

If any of that is true, then I would be shocked if the Patriots have him on their board.

Len-Dale White- another who has been shown as a Patriot pick in the mocks. Does not like to do the dirty work in pass protection. Not a great worker. Questionable character.

Would be surprised if the Partiots took him at #21

Last edited:
Bumping this up for Box O Rocks.

PATSNUTme said:
Bumping this up for Box O Rocks.
Um, you weren't scheduled for a diagnosis today.Have you been watching "What About Bob?" again? :eek:

Box_O_Rocks said:
Um, you weren't scheduled for a diagnosis today.Have you been watching "What About Bob?" again? :eek:
Just responding to your question on Brandon Marshall on the main board, Mr McGoo.:rofl:

PATSNUTme said:
Just responding to your question on Brandon Marshall on the main board, Mr McGoo.:rofl:
Well no wonder, I read your initial post on the 15th and then ducked when you and Boxer started the tea party. How do you expect me to remember back that far? Too bad he is getting that rep, he put on a nice show at the Hula Bowl with subzero (vice par) QBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back